Trail Fix a Bent Tie Rod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Trail Fix a Bent Tie Rod

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-29-2004, 10:43 PM   #1
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Trail Fix a Bent Tie Rod

Hey guys, just thought I'd share a quick tip that I had to do that other day. I bent the crap out of my stock XJ tie rod will messing around on a few trails. There are 2 things you can try:

1. First is to loosen the bar and rotate it so the bend is going downwards. Use a bottle jack and try to jack it up. Lifting your driver side tire may help. This will get is close, but you'll still need to replace it. It'll get you home, which is the important part.

2. This is a good trick I though of in my sleep, like one of those I "see the light" moments. Use the handle from your hilift jack. You take off your tie rod and one end. Slide the a steel pole or a hi lift jack handle down the tie rod. If its gets stuck, the pick it up and slam it down on something hard, like a rock or something. Once its on, put the tie rod end back on and your in business.

In either case, you will mess up your alignment and your tie rod should be replaced as soon as possible. I was driving for like a month using a steel pole to hole the tie rod straight. I even wheeled with it. but it still held. I have since upgraded to a ZJ tie rod, which is much stronger then the junk hollow XJ rods. Hope this helps one of you some day

Unread 08-30-2004, 02:24 PM   #2
root

I had to do the Hi-Lift jack handle trick a few weekends ago to get home.

Worked well but I had ALOT of toe-out since we could not get the ends to thread back in far enough, but it got me home without a tow so I was happy.

The stocker is now replaced with a nice silver RE one, much easier to adjust now than the original.

Justin
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2004, 08:08 PM   #3
Rescue

Worked for me. In the middle of a mountain range!!

[I][B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=Blue]Alaska Jeep Member #2[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/I]
Rescue is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.