TJ trunk cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > TJ trunk cover

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
1320quick
2003 TJ Wrangler 

TJ trunk cover

This past weekend I built a cargo cover for my TJ. I've been collecting ideas from threads I found here on JF. I wanted something that would be fairly secure so someone would have to work to steal something as apposed to just reaching and and walking away. This is what I came up.

It should be fairly secure when the back gate is locked. I can remove it in about 10 minutes if I want to put my back seat back in.

1320quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
PitbullMonty

Well done. Nice looking.
PitbullMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
Tallpaul
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Question

Would you have dimensions/sketch for the cover?
Tallpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
1320quick
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallpaul View Post
Would you have dimensions/sketch for the cover?
I'll give you what I have. I certainly don't have a sketch as I typically do this stuff by the seat of my pants. I used a couple of 2x4's and a sheet of 19/32 sanded plywood. The top is 54 1/2" wide and 35" deep. Of course it's cut in at the rear to go around the roll bar. Those cuts are 4 1/2" in from the side and 8" in from the rear. The front piece is 54 1/2" wide by 13" deep. The front 2x4 is 43" wide and is mounted at the leading edge of the top so the front piece has someplace to screw into. The rear 2x4 is 35" long and mounted 4" inboard from the rear to clear the door latch area. The 2x4 mounted to the front piece is 35" wide as well. I screwed this all together with some 1 3/4" deck screws.

I used two 3'x6' rolls of cheap carpet I picked up from O'Reilly auto parts to cover it. I used 5/16" staples to hold the carpet down. The whole thing can be installed or removed in less than 10 minutes if I want to put the back seat in. I have less than $75 in the whole cover.
1320quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
Tallpaul
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the quick response.
Tallpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
grymsr
Vintage Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

nice fab and clever hold downs

Black Jeep Club v1.0 and v2.0 #1776
DR Z MUST BE STOPPED #7
grymsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

if you have access to a press where you can custom bend 1/8" steel, draw a cabinet that fits under your back seat, the seat mounts to the lid, you open the back of your jeep, unlock it, tilt the seat forward and the entire underneath is storage.. you can line it with carpet for noise..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.