TJ Pulls hard to the left all the time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > TJ Pulls hard to the left all the time

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Pulls hard to the left all the time

Lately my TJ has been pulling very hard to the left on the road. Accelerating, at all speeds, in neutral and slowing down. I've had the front aligned and the tires rotated and rebalanced. Today I measured the front again with a tape measure using the front and back of my inner sideways and they were dead on so and I jacked it up and rolled the wheels to see if one was harder to spin than the other. I'm running out of ideas. What is going on here?

DoughBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Loadsmasher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wheel bearing/hub? What were the results of your spin test?
Unread 11-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
jeep-drivin-YZ
1999 WJ 

Out of round rotors, brake caliper frozen. Something in the brake system
Unread 11-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
Loadsmasher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep-drivin-YZ View Post
For additional info, discolored rotors or excess heat in the wheel well area might indicate a brake issue.
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Iv been getting ready for finals the past week so I haven't played with it any. When its was jacked up I spun the wheels and didn't feel a difference in rolling resistance. I'll check the rotors and brakes after finals. My steering has some play (just a little) that may have something to do with it? I feel like if it was a brake problem I would hear it so I'm thinking i have some worn out bearings or something along those lines
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
JPGoody
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep-drivin-YZ View Post
I had a similar issue years ago when I had larger tires than current. Kept pulling to the right the whole drive. Well once it pulled me all the way over to the right and I had to remove the wheel and hammer the million degree caliper free and limp into a garage.
JPGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Alright so I got under there yesterday and measured my control arms (stock) bracket to bracket. Both upper and lower on the left were shorter by roughly .25-.5 of an inch. Hard to tell with the tight space I was dealing with. Ok so I'm thinking my axle is off by a few degree and not squared with the frame causing the left pull. I'm guessing its probably some toast arm bushings.
Unread 01-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughBro View Post
Alright so I got under there yesterday and measured my control arms (stock) bracket to bracket. Both upper and lower on the left were shorter by roughly .25-.5 of an inch. Hard to tell with the tight space I was dealing with. Ok so I'm thinking my axle is off by a few degree and not squared with the frame causing the left pull. I'm guessing its probably some toast arm bushings.
Just measuring arm length does not tell you if your axle is square. Diagonal measurements from point on the axle to point on the frame is how to do that.
Unread 01-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
1320yj

A bad brake hose can cause that problem also, the inner lining of the hose fails allowing fluid to go one direction when brakes are applied but not return when the brakes are released.After they sit a bit the fluid gradually releases pressure and the wheel affected spins freely.
Unread 01-19-2014, 12:20 AM   #10
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's not measuring the arm length, its measuring the distance between the axle and frame arm mounts. If those aren't equal then the axle isn't square right? I'll do some more measuring on it soon...I have like a thirty minute gap between getting off work and it getting to dark outside to see what the heck I'm doing hahaha. I'm also trying to justify all the moneys it takes to upgrade arms hahah

1320yj makes a very good point...If that is the problem it wouldn't have shown up during the spin test. how would I do about checking that?
Unread 01-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #11
longman
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320yj View Post
A bad brake hose can cause that problem also, the inner lining of the hose fails allowing fluid to go one direction when brakes are applied but not return when the brakes are released.After they sit a bit the fluid gradually releases pressure and the wheel affected spins freely.
^^^+1
Been there.
longman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #12
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

yea so for an update on this...still haven't fixed it...my tires are wearing evenly as far as I can tell so I'm still aligned ...I think...I'm going to get it aligned again when I put the currectlync in and my new MC CA's should be here today. So if those two upgrades work then yay 3 birds-2 stones. I also have some YJ break lines to put in so if the break hose is the problem that will fix that. If none of that works then I'm just going to live with it.
Unread 03-28-2014, 05:00 AM   #13
sarkaukar2000
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It does not appear that the brakes have been ruled out. If the brakes on one side is dragging/hanging that wheel will be hotter than the other side. For a quick test drive it for abit then pull over to check the temperature of each wheel. Due to possible hot surfaces use caution
sarkaukar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #14
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

O sorry if I didn't say it before I have done that. No difference in temp. plus I've even been on the interstate for a good 40 minutes without breaking and nothing changes. I'm assuming if they brakes did need to gradually release eventually on the road I would stop pulling. That is not the case
Unread 05-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #15
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So I redid my lift....new everything. My front adj LCA's are set to the same length...but driver side UCA is way longer than the other side...That was the only way I could get that stuff on there....but it's still pulling to the left really bad. Riddle me that. No abnormal tire wear. Bent axle housing?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.