TJ 15 gallon gas tank to a 19 gallon gas tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > TJ 15 gallon gas tank to a 19 gallon gas tank

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
JasonMHorn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

TJ 15 gallon gas tank to a 19 gallon gas tank

I have my gas tank down and need to replace the fuel pump module. I noticed a price difference between the 15 and 19. Of coarse the 15 is more because that is what I have. After a little research I found out that I can easily make the 15 a 19 by cutting a hose. Sooooooooo, if I do that, should I buy the fuel pump module for the 15 or 19? Take into consideration that I want everything to work fine including the fuel gauge.

I'm thinking that if the hose is what restricts the tank size, then the difference between the 15 and 19 module is just the float? Because from what I see, everyone with a 15 that cuts the hose, their fuel gauge just reads full until the 4 extra gallons is burns.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!! especially considering that I plan on fix this issue in 12 hours.

JasonMHorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My 15 gallon gauge is actually more accurate now that I've done the 19 gallon mod...but my gauge never read full before.
I would just check the wiring to make sure but I don't think there's any difference between the sending units that would cause issues.

Oh...& I used a pvc pipe cutter when doing mine. ...it made a clean cut

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
JasonMHorn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
My 15 gallon gauge is actually more accurate now that I've done the 19 gallon mod...but my gauge never read full before.
I would just check the wiring to make sure but I don't think there's any difference between the sending units that would cause issues.

Oh...& I used a pvc pipe cutter when doing mine. ...it made a clean cut

Sent by a messenger bird
I appreciate the fast response. To think about it, I don't think that mine ever read full either. But then again, I never topped it off (for good reason that I rather not discuss now).

I guess the whole point of my questioning this is because the 15 is like $100 more. So I thought that if I make it a 19, I could save the $100 by getting the 19 module.

It's weird because when I call Advanced Auto, they don't have a listing for a 15 or 19. They say that there is only one.

But Napa and Car Quest both say that there is 2 different ones. 1 for the 15 and 1 for the 19.

I know that I should just look at the parts but I'll be having someone doing it because I'll be stuck at work. And I feel bad having to ask extra of that person. But I guess it no one on here knows, I gotta do what I gotta do.
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMHorn View Post

I appreciate the fast response. To think about it, I don't think that mine ever read full either. But then again, I never topped it off (for good reason that I rather not discuss now).

I guess the whole point of my questioning this is because the 15 is like $100 more. So I thought that if I make it a 19, I could save the $100 by getting the 19 module.

It's weird because when I call Advanced Auto, they don't have a listing for a 15 or 19. They say that there is only one.

But Napa and Car Quest both say that there is 2 different ones. 1 for the 15 and 1 for the 19.

I know that I should just look at the parts but I'll be having someone doing it because I'll be stuck at work. And I feel bad having to ask extra of that person. But I guess it no one on here knows, I gotta do what I gotta do.
They are different...NAPA is right.

Idk from experience. ..but I don't see why it wouldn't work to use the 19 gallon sending unit

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
JasonMHorn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
They are different...NAPA is right.

Idk from experience. ..but I don't see why it wouldn't work to use the 19 gallon sending unit

Sent by a messenger bird
Thanks again!! I'm just gonna bite the bullet and buy the 15 for now.
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:14 AM   #6
vizro
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so how did it turn out?
vizro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
JasonMHorn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizro
so how did it turn out?
I just ended up going with the module for the 15 gallon tank.

I forget the exact number but when it was all back together I remember filling it up to see how many gallons it would take. And it only took like 12 gallons of gas. Another thing is that when the fuel light comes on, There is still about 3 gallons left in the tank. So the Jeep is able to be driven well past E. Which I obviously don't recommend. Especially since the pump relies on the gas to prevent it from burning out. But I remember having cars in the past that when they hit E, that was it! You were on the side of the road.
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
bcash616
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Is this for a TJ gas tank? If so....does anyone have a link to perform this mod. I have a 15 gallon tank and would love to have a 19 gallon one for free!!!
bcash616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I did the mod on my xj. My gauge now never reads full and takes about 50 miles or more to start moving. When it hits E its out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.