JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Cheap Tricks & Fixes (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/)
-   -   TJ 15 gallon gas tank to a 19 gallon gas tank (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/tj-15-gallon-gas-tank-19-gallon-gas-tank-1541723/)

JasonMHorn 06-26-2013 03:50 PM

TJ 15 gallon gas tank to a 19 gallon gas tank

I have my gas tank down and need to replace the fuel pump module. I noticed a price difference between the 15 and 19. Of coarse the 15 is more because that is what I have. After a little research I found out that I can easily make the 15 a 19 by cutting a hose. Sooooooooo, if I do that, should I buy the fuel pump module for the 15 or 19? Take into consideration that I want everything to work fine including the fuel gauge.

I'm thinking that if the hose is what restricts the tank size, then the difference between the 15 and 19 module is just the float? Because from what I see, everyone with a 15 that cuts the hose, their fuel gauge just reads full until the 4 extra gallons is burns.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!! especially considering that I plan on fix this issue in 12 hours. :D

jeepwrangler97 06-26-2013 04:02 PM

My 15 gallon gauge is actually more accurate now that I've done the 19 gallon mod...but my gauge never read full before.
I would just check the wiring to make sure but I don't think there's any difference between the sending units that would cause issues.

Oh...& I used a pvc pipe cutter when doing mine. ...it made a clean cut

Sent by a messenger bird

JasonMHorn 06-26-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 (Post 15610930)
My 15 gallon gauge is actually more accurate now that I've done the 19 gallon mod...but my gauge never read full before.
I would just check the wiring to make sure but I don't think there's any difference between the sending units that would cause issues.

Oh...& I used a pvc pipe cutter when doing mine. ...it made a clean cut

Sent by a messenger bird

I appreciate the fast response. To think about it, I don't think that mine ever read full either. But then again, I never topped it off (for good reason that I rather not discuss now).

I guess the whole point of my questioning this is because the 15 is like $100 more. So I thought that if I make it a 19, I could save the $100 by getting the 19 module.

It's weird because when I call Advanced Auto, they don't have a listing for a 15 or 19. They say that there is only one.

But Napa and Car Quest both say that there is 2 different ones. 1 for the 15 and 1 for the 19.

I know that I should just look at the parts but I'll be having someone doing it because I'll be stuck at work. And I feel bad having to ask extra of that person. But I guess it no one on here knows, I gotta do what I gotta do.

jeepwrangler97 06-26-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonMHorn (Post 15611060)

I appreciate the fast response. To think about it, I don't think that mine ever read full either. But then again, I never topped it off (for good reason that I rather not discuss now).

I guess the whole point of my questioning this is because the 15 is like $100 more. So I thought that if I make it a 19, I could save the $100 by getting the 19 module.

It's weird because when I call Advanced Auto, they don't have a listing for a 15 or 19. They say that there is only one.

But Napa and Car Quest both say that there is 2 different ones. 1 for the 15 and 1 for the 19.

I know that I should just look at the parts but I'll be having someone doing it because I'll be stuck at work. And I feel bad having to ask extra of that person. But I guess it no one on here knows, I gotta do what I gotta do.

They are different...NAPA is right.

Idk from experience. ..but I don't see why it wouldn't work to use the 19 gallon sending unit

Sent by a messenger bird

JasonMHorn 06-26-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 (Post 15611250)
They are different...NAPA is right.

Idk from experience. ..but I don't see why it wouldn't work to use the 19 gallon sending unit

Sent by a messenger bird

Thanks again!! I'm just gonna bite the bullet and buy the 15 for now.

vizro 07-29-2013 03:14 AM

so how did it turn out?

JasonMHorn 07-31-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vizro
so how did it turn out?

I just ended up going with the module for the 15 gallon tank.

I forget the exact number but when it was all back together I remember filling it up to see how many gallons it would take. And it only took like 12 gallons of gas. Another thing is that when the fuel light comes on, There is still about 3 gallons left in the tank. So the Jeep is able to be driven well past E. Which I obviously don't recommend. Especially since the pump relies on the gas to prevent it from burning out. But I remember having cars in the past that when they hit E, that was it! You were on the side of the road.

bcash616 08-07-2013 08:57 AM

Is this for a TJ gas tank? If so....does anyone have a link to perform this mod. I have a 15 gallon tank and would love to have a 19 gallon one for free!!!

uberxj92 08-09-2013 09:57 PM

I did the mod on my xj. My gauge now never reads full and takes about 50 miles or more to start moving. When it hits E its out

The time now is 03:15 PM.