TJ 15 gal to 19 gal mod downside? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-18-2016, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Bruangarydoyle
1998 TJ Wrangler 

TJ 15 gal to 19 gal mod downside?

I read about the 15 gallon the 19 gallon modification for early model jeep at TJ's. You do this by cutting the vent valve in the tank shorter. Does anybody know if there is a downside to this? Does it put extra pressure on any components? I remember hearing Click and Clack always said to never top off your fuel tank, this seems like the ultimate top off. Any opinions are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-19-2016, 02:38 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Since the tank is the same and works just fine for jeeps where it comes from the factory setup for 19 gallons, what harm would there be? Even at 19 gallons there is still a decent amount of air space in the tank. I've seen people claim to have taken the mod to the extreme and been able to get capacity up to 20-21 gallons. I've personally put in more than 19 gallons to an unmodified tank a couple times (and the engine was still running when I pulled in to the gas station).

#feelthejohnson
post #3 of 3 Old 06-11-2016, 02:48 PM
mmtphoto
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i did mine easily 8-10 years ago, and it messed up the gas gauge-now when i fill it, it is empty for the first 50 to 75 miles, then registers about 3/4 full and works normally until it gets low, the low fuel light still works too (usually have about 3 gallons in it when it first goes on. I reset the miles to zero and always fill it so it is not a big deal to me, when it say 'empty' I know it's going to take easily 50 miles or more before it even starts moving normally. Would have been nice if they had just made it a 19 gallon tank from the factory in the first place, ya know?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.