Tips for Better Gas Mileage.... - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Tips for Better Gas Mileage....

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 11-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #91
No Fear Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Off the gas...yes, but also off the brakes. I mean the brake-gas-brake-gas thing eats up gas. Plan your stops, there is no need to brake heavily right under the red light. Start slowing down, let off the gas and finish off with the brake. Half a tank will provide a week and a half of work-home-work-home for me. Oh, here's another tip: move closer to work...

Unread 11-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #92
jb93renegade
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i consistently get 525 Km or so from the tank ofr my '93 yj renegade, 31's..not other mods, when doing 'mixed' driving. My return route to work is mainly city driving with a section of about 10 km total where I get her up to 100km per hour or so.
jb93renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #93
plowe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler
But I bet you have stock tires, right? I have 33s and 20 mpg is only a dream. I get 12. Maybe 13 if I am lucky.
Are you figuring real miles per gallon or just what your odometer is saying? Have you corrected the odometer for tire size?
plowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #94
barty
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fear Jeep
Off the gas...yes, but also off the brakes. I mean the brake-gas-brake-gas thing eats up gas. Plan your stops, there is no need to brake heavily right under the red light. Start slowing down, let off the gas and finish off with the brake. Half a tank will provide a week and a half of work-home-work-home for me. Oh, here's another tip: move closer to work...
That's what I'm trying to get my wife to do. I can drive either of our vehicles and get 1-3 mpg better simply because I lay off the brakes.

I wish I could move closer to work. Everything affordable that's close to the jobs I'd like to work at either puts me in an apartment or a shoebox of a house.

That said, I am usually able to get about 18-19 mpg in mixed driving around town and 21-22mpg on the highway in our 99 TJ 4.0L manual transmission. 30" tires, 3.07 gears.
barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #95
nummy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

23 miles per gallon

My buddy did the following things to his 2006 Wrangler "X" with a 4.0 six, automatic trans, stock aluminum wheels, and a hardtop.

1) A K&N air filter

2) Ams Oil synthetic 70W90 in the transfer case and in the front and rear "pumpkins"

3) Mobil 1 5w30 Synthetic Oil in the motor.

4) Nitrogen filled tires at the manufacturer's recommended pressure.

5) He said he drives like he has an egg between his foot and the gas peddle.

He claims his MPG increased from 18 to 23 by maiking the above changes........is he pulling my leg? I have intentions to do the same to mine next week.....am I wasting my time and money?

nummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Dude2000
92 yj 4 cyl stock tires, stock everything else, hardtop, 5 spd.
13.58 litres per 100 kms (21.47 miles per gallon)
everything i fix or add to it i keep mileage in mind.
nummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #96
Grubbi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nummy
My buddy did the following things to his 2006 Wrangler "X" with a 4.0 six, automatic trans, stock aluminum wheels, and a hardtop.

1) A K&N air filter

2) Ams Oil synthetic 70W90 in the transfer case and in the front and rear "pumpkins"

He claims his MPG increased from 18 to 23 by maiking the above changes........is he pulling my leg? I have intentions to do the same to mine next week.....am I wasting my time and money?

nummy
You won't recoup the money put into all those mods with just fuel savings in a short period of time. #1,2,3 would add up to $75 or more.
I have a hard time believing any Wrangler with the stock drivetrain can get 23 mpg.
Terrain Stompers Jeep Club Cincinnati, Ohio
Grubbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #97
LandoCommando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtaco
keep the top up, doors on and AC on. i get about a 1-2 mpg increase (from 12-13 mpg i get with my 4.0/5sp/35"/4.88 TJ). may not be much but every bit helps.
Myth Busters disproved this. The vehicle with the AC on and the windows up lost by a looooong distance.

Oh the irony.
LandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 11:26 PM   #98
moparman12
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nummy View Post

1) A K&N air filter
If the air filter is dirty, you use more gas, so this would help a little.

Quote:
Less friction, less gas, but it's usually pricey so wait for the normal scheduled maintenance to do it.

Quote:
Same as above but not as pricey and well worth it in making your engine last longer too.

Quote:
It is a "drag thing." A higher pressure will raise MPG over a lower pressure.
Nitrogen filled?...Never even heard of this, but I don't know everything, that's for sure.
Helium maybe would lighten the vehicle and that would help...

Quote:
Now THIS is what I do when I try for best mileage. This more MPG method was advertised many many years ago by the Shell Oil Company in a TV commercial. It was the "Shell Answer Man" that told us all to "drive like you have an egg under your foot." and, of course, that was back in the carbureted days when every time you put your foot in it the accelerator pump manually squirted gas down the hole. With FI, I assume the TPS signal tells the computer to increase the length of injections so it won't knock and die under acceleration, so it still mostly applies.

Quote:
He claims his MPG increased from 18 to 23 by making the above changes........is he pulling my leg? I have intentions to do the same to mine next week.....am I wasting my time and money?

nummy
Definitely do #5 and if you have the extra $$ for the synthetics then go for it, but I would wait for the scheduled time to do the syn-lub change. I haven't a clue what the nitrogen-filled tires could possibly do for MPG. Ask him for me, OK?
moparman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #99
rickm8
1999 TJ Wrangler 

haha

lol i get like 13.1 avg mpg in my 99 limited.. i was just doing some crazy stuff cause it snowed and sleeted good here so you knowwww that its nessicary to find a lot plant the right foot and watch it spin and listed to the harmony of the 4-7 that didnt help, i burned a quater tank in one lot
rickm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 06:53 AM   #100
lwmsyndicate

Someone is going to need a couple of aspirin in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm8 View Post
lol i get like 13.1 avg mpg in my 99 limited.. i was just doing some crazy stuff cause it snowed and sleeted good here so you knowwww that its nessicary to find a lot plant the right foot and watch it spin and listed to the harmony of the 4-7 that didnt help, i burned a quater tank in one lot
lwmsyndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #101
mdsuave13
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitzangiggles View Post
IIRC several jeep engineers have gone on to state that the stock intake is nonrestrictive, meaning there is more CFM that can flow through the stock setup than can be used at WOT.
i can agree with that, i have the ARB snorkel and a drop in K&N filter, i feel more power and mileage.
Unread 02-18-2008, 06:44 AM   #102
1orangews6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I get 16 mpg in the city shifting under 2k and 17.5-18 mpg on the hwy driving 65-70 mph. I have 31-10.50s and 3.73s, full doors and hard top.
1orangews6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #103
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

The best thing I did for my gas mileage was ditching the 258 for a 360. The six ran fine, but was getting worn out and couldn't push the 33's past 65 at WOT. I think alot of it had to do with the carb that was bad and wouldn't stay tuned. A rebuild would only last 4 or 5 months. Around town, it's about the same, but on the highway, I now get around 12-13 mpg (instead of 8-9)
Unread 02-19-2008, 12:43 PM   #104
davej9
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just bought '99 XJ Sport 3 wks ago. Took a nice ride from Lakewood to Estes Park Sun., up on 36 and back through Loveland and I-25. Averaged 22.8mpg driving speed limit. Nice surprise since I check every time I fill and have had anywhere from 12.5 to 16 around town. I haven't owned a jeep for a few years. Have had CJ5, a '74 Cherokee, a '69 Wagoneer and a '67 Jeepster. The '74 was FT4WD but had locking hubs on all the rest. Made a big difference in gas mileage to free wheel the front end. I am looking to convert my Cherokee and cheapest conversion I've seen so far is around 700 bucks. Anyone know of something better for less money?
davej9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #105
big94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i have 35's on my 4 banger yj and i get 170 miles to a tank. about 12-14mpg
big94yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.