Tips for Better Gas Mileage.... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Tips for Better Gas Mileage....

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-05-2006, 06:53 PM   #46
smartshot
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supr_bikr_99
Figure this had probably already been beatten to death as a topic, but what the heck! Just wanted everyone to share ways that they get better gas mileage in their rig. Mine has been not doing any unnecessary driving, LOL. What mods/tricks have you all used to get a few more miles per gallon?

you mean gallon's per mile , get a toyota... naw seriously keep your lead foot away from the gas petal. Get a air raid intake, exhaust.... then yes again stay away from the gas petal. I get about 21 on the highway. If i start to drive it like a bat outta hell then no less then 15 (this is offroad too).

smartshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2006, 11:04 AM   #47
79SilverCJ

Driving slowly to save fuel sounds good in theory while sitting at my computer reading this thread, but once I get behind the wheel with the top down on a sunny day, driving slow to save fuel doesn't really come to mind.

Oh well... it's a jeep, I didn't buy it for the gas mileage.
79SilverCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #48
Rocky5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

GOD I'M A SMARTA$$!!!!

better, but it only gets 30mpg ...my wifes 2006 Civic gets 33 city 38 Hwy

-Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers, Clear Turn Signals and Markers, Custom Front Bumper Hoop with upgraded hooks, Delta 50 Flowmaster, Code Alarm CA-670 Paging-Alarm with Motion Detector, K&N FIPK, JKS Discos, Procomp LCAs, Airaid TBS, Tuffy 055 rear section sub console, 4-Hella 500's, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Olympic Reverse-a-bars, Delta Headlight kit with black bezels, Edge Trail Jammer kit, Smittybilt Classic Tire Carrier, WARN Oil Skid, Skid Row steering skid, JKS adj. rear track bar, RC front adj. track bar.
Rocky5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #49
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

Jetta/golf/passat TDI w/ five speed, just under 50 mpg.
Unread 03-14-2006, 12:09 AM   #50
Jeepmark

how bout a...

turbo charge it...easy and fasterrrrr
Jeepmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2006, 07:27 PM   #51
Josephrk24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I use my jeep alot for work in the winter... During every snow storm I get the WORST mileage.... As soon as I pull that lever back i start shoveling $$$ right into the gas tank... Im lucky if im getting like 9 MPG... thats driving all day, and all night, and somtimes most of the next day.... But thats ok.... I put it on the bosses account at the gas station

What can I do to get better mileage while in 4X4 ???

JOE

Early YJ club member #29
Josephrk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2006, 02:23 AM   #52
Razor.
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Boring my TB helped, but only when I was light on the throttle. But who doesn't like to romp on it every so often right! I learned quick to not punch it, switching from a 240sx to a real machine!
Razor. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2006, 02:13 PM   #53
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229365

I'm telling you that this will work even in 4x4. You will have improvements.
Unread 03-17-2006, 11:16 AM   #54
olljeepkidllo

"BTW - using the a/c will drop your mpg MORE than driving with a window down, so if the weather's nice, drop the window. If a new Civic looses around 6mpg with the a/c on, I'd hate to think what it does to us I thought this was crap, so I tested it in my xB with the a/c on and windows up - 244.7 miles to the 12 gallon tank. Window down, a/c off? 281.1 miles... Used the recommended gas-saving driving practices both times, too"

Actually mythbusters did that and the one with the ac on got significantly better MPG. Your car is ment to form a "bubble" to make it aerodymic, well as aerdynamic as a jeep can be, and once you open the windows you break the bubble causing more drag. =p Thought ya should know
olljeepkidllo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #55
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olljeepkidllo
"BTW - using the a/c will drop your mpg MORE than driving with a window down, so if the weather's nice, drop the window. If a new Civic looses around 6mpg with the a/c on, I'd hate to think what it does to us I thought this was crap, so I tested it in my xB with the a/c on and windows up - 244.7 miles to the 12 gallon tank. Window down, a/c off? 281.1 miles... Used the recommended gas-saving driving practices both times, too"

Actually mythbusters did that and the one with the ac on got significantly better MPG. Your car is ment to form a "bubble" to make it aerodymic, well as aerdynamic as a jeep can be, and once you open the windows you break the bubble causing more drag. =p Thought ya should know
This does not occur in all vehicles. Windows all the way down in my Jeep gets 1-2 mpg less than a/c. This was also tested on Mythbusters in a truck. (Don't remeber which type). Smaller cars generally get better mileage with the windoes down.
Unread 03-18-2006, 06:18 PM   #56
hikerpaddler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That's the fact, jack. Reducing weight helps, but accelerating gently, coasting instead of accelerating to stop signs and redlights, and driving 65 instead of 80 will significantly reduce your mileage. Reducing weight can help, but not as much as care with the throttle. My problem is, I can really focus on mileage and achieve phenomenal results, but I go through phases where I just don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n
Drive gently. The plain fact of the matter is that there isn't anything you can do to your Jeep, or anything you can put in your gas, that will make even half as much difference to gas mileage as what you do with your right foot.
hikerpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2006, 02:16 PM   #57
wrangler35

i have a 94yj,run 35s, with 4.56 gears,4.0 ,flomaster, big bore tb. k&n filter, air aid tb. spacer. and i get 21mpg. and have more power than i did from factory.
wrangler35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2006, 12:50 PM   #58
pnpxtreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU98
I don't know if these have worked yet-took of my hardtop, removed 33in spare, took out my back seat, put a k&n filter(I know the debate) and I stay out of the gas, people will not run over me they just pass and wave with only one finger. It beats hugging my buddy when he rides his moped.
Chad

LoL!
pnpxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #59
DaleB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, Some really smart folks. I think I'll try taking my foot off the gas and only go downhill. '06 "X" highest mileage on the highway 13.7. Last two weeks in town and filled-up this morning 10.7. My second job is standing on the street corner with a bucket. Might be able to drive to work once a week rather than walking.
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2006, 01:07 PM   #60
grymsr
Vintage Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

another MPG thread? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG!

Black Jeep Club v1.0 and v2.0 #1776
DR Z MUST BE STOPPED #7
grymsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.