Tips for Better Gas Mileage.... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Tips for Better Gas Mileage....

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 01-25-2006, 01:34 PM   #31
Ion Soul

I just bought a 2000 Wrangler Sahara hardtop with 4 ltr auto with 80,000 miles. I also get a whopping 11 mpg. I heard that adding a bottle of slick50 wil increase mileage about 25%. I'm going to try it and report back.

Ion Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 12:38 AM   #32
87-05

Who'd you hear that from, the local slick-50 distributor? If the stuff worked like that, wouldn't Mobil, Agip, Shell, etc etc etc add the technology to their lubricants? Save your $$$ and return the bottle. Run synthetic if you need to accomplish a small gain in mileage. But 25%? Come on...

05 645 CiC, 07 530xi
87-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 05:25 AM   #33
Ovenman

I am on Long Island and during the winter they put some kind of additives in the gas to reduce emissions (I think they do this all over the northeast). I know I get much worse gas mileage during the winter than during the summer as a result. Anybody know anything about this?

_____
/l ,[____],
l---L 0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Ovenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 06:00 AM   #34
06slvrrubi
Lovin' Life

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, they do switch additives in the winter. We had a car some into the shop one time that was stalling sporadically. No problems could be found, it turned out to be the "winter" gas in the tank. The "winter" gas is set to evaporate at a lower temperature (just one of the changes) and the temperatures in the area had risen rather quickly, thus the car was stalling.
06slvrrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 10:49 AM   #35
94YJ H.O.

Heres a few tips for better mileage:

Proper PSI in your tires. Less rolling resistance then a tire with 15 PSI in it.

Gap your plugs slightly larger. With a larger gap, you get a longer spark to help burn the gas/air mix better. This will not net giant gains, but when combined with other tips, it can help add up. Be sure not to gap too large.

Higher voltage coil. This is to be used in conjunction with a larger plug gap, as a longer and hotter spark will burn gas/air mix more efficiently.

Plug wires. Make sure that your plug wires are not long overdue for replacement. You can buy larger wire (like 8mm) but stay away from low noise suppression type wires, as they can screw with your CB (if you are so equipped).

Fuel Filter. Make sure everything that is required for proper combustion can easily get to the cylinder. Dont make the fuel pump work any harder then it has to.

Intake. Again, make sure that if you install an aftermarket intake that it avoids as many bends and turns as possible. The smoother the path, the less the engine has work to get air into it.

Exhaust. With extra air and better fuel flow, combined with a more efficient combustion chamber burn, you will have more exhaust gases exiting the vehicle. If the engine has to work hard to pump these gases out it will soak up some MPG as some of the gases will be left in the chamber and the ignition system has to reburn old gases. The combustion process will be less efficient as there is less fresh air and fuel in the chamber. At the very minimum a higher flow muffler and tail pipe is recommended. A high flow cat and intermidiate pipe between the cat and muffler would be best. Of course a header would be the ultimate, assuming you can keep your foot off the gas.

A common misconception that these mods one at a time will net huge MPG increases. However what goes in the engine must come out, and all of these modifications compliment each other. Should you try these all at once, I would imagine you would notice a nice difference in MPG. Again, the major component is being consistent with the skinny pedal (which is hard to do ).

If you cant afford lots of aftermarket pieces, your best bet is to just keep your engine in tune, as it will keep it running as efficient as the day it left the factory.

My NEW [url="http://www.rigrater.com"]RigRater[/url] Score: 406RRv1.0 with a BOA of 31.60
94YJ H.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 12:01 PM   #36
98JEEPTJ
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion Soul
I just bought a 2000 Wrangler Sahara hardtop with 4 ltr auto with 80,000 miles. I also get a whopping 11 mpg. I heard that adding a bottle of slick50 wil increase mileage about 25%. I'm going to try it and report back.
Your not going to get anything from slick 50 it's what they call snake oil. There info is bogus and really general and it will in the long run ruin your engine...

Engine oil is designed to do everything it needs to do without additives. If you have to add stuff to your motor oil to get it to work you need to quit buying the $1/quart caseys oil and get some real stuff...
Unread 02-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #37
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229365
I know the results are not stunning but it works.
Unread 02-01-2006, 06:21 PM   #38
95GCV8

Alright I need to know if this is right or not... (im okay with the mileage but i wouldnt mind savin a few bucks) Is it normal for a ZJ with the 5.2 V8 and Towing package with 235 tires to get about 13 mpg?? What should i be getting...Better? worse?
95GCV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #39
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

img_0050.jpg  
Unread 02-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #40
Red_
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hows the RS treating you?

18-20 mixed city and highway, shifting under 2k, light foot on the gas. justing keep it in tune. Havent noticed any major difference between windows up or down, but I doubt that your windows would change your CoD that much. You are a box on 4 wheels
Red_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2006, 08:05 PM   #41
Traveller

I just got back from a road trip to West Texas and New Mexico. I drove a little over 5000 miles altogether, and for the most part, my mileage sucked.

The worst thing affecting my mileage was all the junk I was carrying on my Wilderness roof rack. The wind drag was very noticable, as was the noise. I was carrying an extra set of tires, tool boxes, and luggage for my trip.

My worst tank of gas averaged 11 mpg. That was driving 65 mph into a 15 to 20 mph headwind. No a/c, top up.

My best tank was 17 mpg. In that case I followed a big rig fairly closely for a couple hundred miles.

I averaged 14 mpg on the trails, carrying just my tools and other essentials.

My Jeep is an 05 Rubicon SWB with the 6 speed, dead stock.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2006, 07:49 PM   #42
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dragon
Hows the RS treating you?

18-20 mixed city and highway, shifting under 2k, light foot on the gas. justing keep it in tune. Havent noticed any major difference between windows up or down, but I doubt that your windows would change your CoD that much. You are a box on 4 wheels

Pretty good. I like it alot. 25 in town and 30+ on hwy.
Unread 02-21-2006, 04:58 PM   #43
05F150

top up, windows up, no AC, reduce passenger weight, and shift early. No racing the engine
05F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2006, 12:12 PM   #44
gixxer_751

for what its worth, aftermarket airfilter/exhaust,,, dont know any exact figures & what your saving, but it does help the engine breath better.. just my .02$
gixxer_751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2006, 12:14 PM   #45
jeep loser

gas mileage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supr_bikr_99
Figure this had probably already been beatten to death as a topic, but what the heck! Just wanted everyone to share ways that they get better gas mileage in their rig. Mine has been not doing any unnecessary driving, LOL. What mods/tricks have you all used to get a few more miles per gallon?
I drive my wife's grand cherokee
jeep loser is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.