Tips for Better Gas Mileage.... - Page 13 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 227 Old 06-15-2010, 06:17 AM
EisBlade
De Oppresso Liber

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91yjeepin View Post
another point to make, is that people with larger tire, should either put in a new speedo gear, or use the percent difference formula to show your true mileage. heres what you do: you need two vehicles, your jeep, and a vehicle with stock tires, and working odometer. then you make a benchmark, mine was from a certain gas station to my driveway (note: easy to reset trip odometer and use that). formula looks like this:

[(stock miles from benchmark)-(your miles from same benchmark)]
--------------------------------------------------------------- <--divide
(stock miles from benchmark)

multiply the answer by your pre fill-up trip miles (ex:255 miles) to find the extra miles you traveled with those larger tires. lol sorry for the lengthy message.
That's a pretty cool method. That still has you using vehicle instrumentation though which may not be the most accurate. One way that would accurately apply to everyone is to:

1) Gas up until gas is about to overfill the filler neck.
2) Drive using a GPS to track distance covered
3) At next refill, again top your tank off until gas comes all the to the top of your filler neck.
4) Divide GPS miles travelled since last fill-up by the gallons of fuel it just took to fill your tank.

This method will provide accurate miles-per-gallon regardless of tire size nor requires that you know what the stock calculations were.

JT
Admin of

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(63,000 strong)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 227 Old 06-21-2010, 05:11 PM
jpschacht
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Like everyone else has said drive easy on the gas. Leave the air condition off (it uses power to cool the air, thus taking it from being used to move your Jeep, making you engine work harder).
post #183 of 227 Old 06-22-2010, 02:07 AM
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir66103 View Post
This was discussed on Car Talk a couple of weeks ago. The fellas debated for a while (as they do) but decided that since the tanks at the stations are underground, and the earth maintains an almost constant temperature at that depth, then the volume of gas wouldn't vary to a measurable degree throughout the day.

FWIW,
Adam
what if you live in phoenix where its pretty common for it to reach 108+ degrees in the summer?

post #184 of 227 Old 06-22-2010, 07:23 AM
EisBlade
De Oppresso Liber

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seabee View Post
what if you live in phoenix where its pretty common for it to reach 108+ degrees in the summer?
Then the gassing in the morning -vs- hotter times of the day still doesn't apply since the gas is generally the same temperature from where it is pumped up from the tanks.

Something not mentioned too often concerns gas evaporation when agitated. The more its agitated the more surface area is created allowing more evaporation. Gas caps handle this when driving, but when at the pumps you are going to pay for x-amount of fuel passing through the pump yet get slightly less gas the faster you pump it due to evaporation. There again, it's negligible to some degree, but it is gas unused that you use base your mileage calculations on when dividing by gallons pumped. I set the pump handle on its lowest/slowest setting and let it go. If filling to calculate mileage or gather mileage data, I fill it to the brim.

The only other thing confirmed to work beyond driving methods, is to add external saving measures. Go to Volo Performance. You can either buy their Fuel Savings chip, or buy the FS2 - HHO Edition. The FS chip alone does help. I purchased the FS2 HHO Edition, and am working on adding the HHO generator now from GreenFuelH2o though I'd also recommend HHOkitsDirect.com. (going this route falls well outside of the "Cheap tricks & fixes" though....heheheh) Running the fuel savings chip by itself is all you need to get better gas mileage. Running the FS2 HHO chip along with a hho generator will get you the best overall mpg increase (20 to 50, some have gotten). I'll be happy with even a 20% increase but expect more like 30+ % once I'm done. Here, once done and saving x-amount, you'd have to calculate the cost of your HHO system to fuel savings to determine how many years before you earn it all back and begin saving. Good thing about them is that they can be moved to your next vehicle, regardless of what it is.

JT
Admin of

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(63,000 strong)
post #185 of 227 Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 AM
DriveByTruckerz
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'm a "hyper-miler." When you see a light ahead turn red.. take your foot off the gas and roll into the light. Most of the time you'll catch it back on green and don't have to go through the gears again. Even if you don't catch green, there's no sense in gassing to a stop.

1997 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Sport

(OIF 2005-2006 - Mahmudiyah/Scania, Iraq)
post #186 of 227 Old 07-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Muleskinner48
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nyet. Nada. Zilch. Throttle body extensions, CAI, hi perf exhaust, and all the other gimmicks and gizmos designed to make our engine work less will all result in negligible on up to around 12% increase in mileage. For most jeeps on stock suspension and tires...that's around 2 miles to the gallon. Definitely not worth the damage to the engine most CAI filters cause.

On the other hand, all the things we do to mod our jeeps (winches, lifts, big tires, add ons, tools, etc)(with the exception of the CAI and exhaust) usually add weight and friction/dither issues and invariably DECREASE our efficiency...up to 50%!

If you want the best gas mileage...leave the jeep at home and ride a bike. Walk. Carpool with friends. Ride a horse (I have over a hundred Quarter horses if someone is interested in this technique.) Heck, I can drive my '06 350Z and get 26.5 miles to the gallon by keeping the throttle easy. But what fun is THAT????

We did not buy Jeeps for fuel efficiency. Stick your foot in it and roll!!!!!!!!!!!

2003 TJ Sport w/RC 3.25" lift, RR side armor/tube bumpers, Spiderweb Shade, and a .45 Warthog w/3 clips.
"Leave the world the same way you entered it...Screaming and covered in someone else's blood."
post #187 of 227 Old 07-09-2010, 09:19 AM
EisBlade
De Oppresso Liber

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muleskinner48 View Post
We did not buy Jeeps for fuel efficiency. Stick your foot in it and roll!!!!!!!!!!!
True that, lol. I doubt any of us bought a Jeep with its gas mileage being number 1 on the list of priorities. Everyone is different, and everyone buys for thier own use. Speaking for myself only, I bought what I considered to be a go-anywhere-in-any-weather vehicle that fits my family of 4 plus 2 dogs perfectly for all that we might do normally, and will also successfully pull or carry externally enough for those times we wish to expand. Back when I owned a Cobra, and then later an old Nova with a charged 350 4-bolt, I had a Ton of fun. While I never stood at the pumps regretting my "foot in it" I still didn't enjoy spending money on fuel. I'm 44 now and I've never known anyone that drove any type of vehicle (lifted or lowered, or from Pinto to Porche) that drove with utter enthusiasm 100% of the time.

I doubt anyone following this thread cares to waste money on fuel when there exists valid ways of saving; whether it be via better driving methods or products to purchase. And so exists this thread.

No matter what you buy, put some thought into it while at the same time reading and educating yourself on its pros and cons.

I hope to be able to report back here with some feedback on the HHO system I'm installing on the WJ. Whether successful or not, I hope to have something to add soon. Driving like granny, I get 18 City/26 Highway (that's holding at 65 in a 65 mph zone.) I'd get better if holding at 55.

JT
Admin of

(63,000 strong)
post #188 of 227 Old 07-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EisBlade View Post
That's a pretty cool method. That still has you using vehicle instrumentation though which may not be the most accurate. One way that would accurately apply to everyone is to:

1) Gas up until gas is about to overfill the filler neck.
2) Drive using a GPS to track distance covered
3) At next refill, again top your tank off until gas comes all the to the top of your filler neck.
4) Divide GPS miles travelled since last fill-up by the gallons of fuel it just took to fill your tank.

This method will provide accurate miles-per-gallon regardless of tire size nor requires that you know what the stock calculations were.
I just use google maps. Its pretty accurate; and there are also plenty of calculators for tire size to speedo/odo change.
post #189 of 227 Old 01-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Kitchen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i installed a prototype hydrogen generator that my high school autoshop teacher designed. it works great!

- 99 XJ
5 inchs on 33 kevlars
Locked F&R, bumper, winch, etc...
Build thread:

- 03 TJ Rubi
4 inches on 35 baja MTZs
Stock rubi stuff(D44s, lockers, skids, etc...)
post #190 of 227 Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 PM
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

I installed a flux capacitor that generates 1.2 Jigawatts and I get 10000 miles on one lightening bolt

2013 JKU Sahara

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
post #191 of 227 Old 01-08-2011, 11:02 AM
kurtis1971
1993 YJ Wrangler 

post #192 of 227 Old 01-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Jeepdude22
2004 WJ 

I have a 2004 4.7, I switched to synthetic 5w-30 and slapped a K&N on there and i get a little above 300 miles to a tank!! Its about 50+ miles better than when i first got it!!
post #193 of 227 Old 01-10-2011, 03:30 PM
EisBlade
De Oppresso Liber

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbf6165 View Post
slow and easy, I rarely shift above 2500 rpm, rarely drive over 60mph unless on interstate. I consistently get 21 mpg. 2002 SE 4cyl 48K miles
Is that 21mpg City or Highway? That's great either way. Have you tried keeping your shift points at 2K or less?

My 'best practices' now?
o Plan ahead to avoid rushing
o remove the roof rack when not using
o allow the engine to warm in the winter before driving
o drive in a manner that has you braking as little as possible within city
limits.

edit: Next is to adjust to driving 60-63mph in a 65mph zone for a while.

JT
Admin of

(63,000 strong)
post #194 of 227 Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 AM
BuckeyeMac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Autozone had a big sale on Gumout Fuel System Cleaner....anyone have good results using this? Should I steer clear of using it for my 4cyl?

post #195 of 227 Old 01-24-2011, 08:22 PM
EisBlade
De Oppresso Liber

1999 WJ 

I think running 1 to 2 sizes larger (with appropriate axle gearing) to gain mpg works as long as you're generally on flatter ground, and the transmission doesn't constantly downshift to find torque for the given task...pulling a boat or trailer, for example. Everyone's interest, and application of their vehicle, is different so all things concerning gas will certainly differ. I really wish I had more time to apply to my hho project. That will net at least a 5mpg increase minimal. I just haven't had time to rebuild the reservoir, hook up the digital ammeter, and solder new leads for the control box. phfft.

JT
Admin of

(63,000 strong)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.