Tips for Better Gas Mileage.... - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Tips for Better Gas Mileage....

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #151
bjones71087
2001 XJ Cherokee 

the money we spend on gas for our jeeps is a lot less than we would spend to keep up with parts and problems of a rice burner though....im just sayin.

bjones71087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #152
Shiguy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

LJ Trek Top?

I'm reposting this since it was the last comment on the previous page in hopes somone will see it.

Just out of curiosity has anyone here with an LJ tried the "Trek Top" by Best Top? The reason I ask is that this has a slanted backside for the jeep and the LJ's in particular have the most sloped backend. I've been thinking of getting one because i like the look and from an aerodynamic perspective they should create a fairly noticable difference when doing highway driving. The regular TJ's and X's probably wouldn't notice as much as the slope of the rear is not as gradual as it is on the LJ's.
Shiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #153
Boobah
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtaco View Post
i agree... warm weather the top is down but cold weather the top goes up...
Hahahaha, I like the heat and never used AC until I moved to TX..... Jul-Aug AC is almost a necessity
Unread 09-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #154
Boobah
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok so it really boils down to... is that is depends on the car.... I had a 95 BMW 525i that got 33-35 on hwy...avg 26-28, put a K&N lost Gas mileage and power.... had a 94 ZJ with 4.0 auto, avg 22-24, and is faster then my 00 TJ 4.0 manual...as far as get up and go.. TJ avg 14-15 and it's stock... however I did notice that at 80+ the gas mileage dropped a lot even with a egg under the pedal. I do believe I need a tune up and hope that helps not only mileage but power as well.... hubby says I need a cold intake, performance chip and something to do with my exhuast... and that will help with power which will help with mileage.
Unread 09-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #155
01CHEEKEE
2004 KJ Liberty 

easiest way to improve gas mileage is lighten and lift your FOOT!!!

don't tromp it from lights, and slow down on the highways...
01CHEEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 01:00 AM   #156
karlo

Lighten your load by removing those unnecessary stuff and tools. Also, don't accelerate so hard.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #157
loneeagle78
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymedicsfc View Post
Not sure I understand "Nitrogen" in the tires. Isn't air already 78% nitrogen?
since no one is answering on the nitrogen........ with nitrogen, the molecules dont expand and contract like shop air in the tires, therefore keeping fairly close to the same pressure all the time in your tires. with shop air in the tires, the pressure has been known to increase up to and above 5 psi. hope this helps you armymedic.

I am runnin my XJ with 4 1/2 lift, 32 at tires at 25 psi, 4:10 gears, and an auto. I consistently get 15 in town and around 18 on highway.

with the ZJ, all stock with 235 on it, I get 20 at 80, and usually get around 18 in town. used to have a mitsu galant that got 30-35, but I hated getting stuck in the driveway all the time in winter. MPG's arent worth it if you cant go anywhere!!!
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #158
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneeagle78 View Post
since no one is answering on the nitrogen........ with nitrogen, the molecules dont expand and contract like shop air in the tires, therefore keeping fairly close to the same pressure all the time in your tires. with shop air in the tires, the pressure has been known to increase up to and above 5 psi. hope this helps you armymedic.
It's also nearly imposable to get 100% nitrogen in your tires.
EvilM0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #159
CRWDDYZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I did not buy my Jeep for gas mileage, thats for sure...this is what I do.

When the tank is empty, I refill
Unread 09-27-2009, 04:07 AM   #160
rpiereck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is the best known mod to improve your gas mileage, 100% guaranteed. Get one of these and you will see an excellent fuel mileage on your work commute: http://tiny.cc/wNCTS

JKS Adjustable control arms - JKS 1.25" Body Lift - JKS 1" Engine Mount Lift
Old Man Emu 4" coils - Rancho 5000 shocks - Teraflex front adj trackbar - RE rear track bar bracket
33/12.5x15 Wrangler Duratracs - Tabor 12k Winch - Hella 500F Foglights
Hella Supertone Horns - Uniden CB radio

rpiereck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #161
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Install a vacuum gauge. Old-school, barometric models use a piece of vacuum line connected as close as possible to the intake manifold. (I usually just tee it into an existing line.) They can be had for under $20. Newer electronic models use a sensor/sending unit to control the gauge. I can't vouch for them, I've only ever used the barometric models.

To use it, pick a number on that gauge, and don't let it go below. In general, the higher the number, the higher your MPG. It's amazing to see how much that gauge wants to drop just to get rolling, and how long it wants to stay down there while you accelerate.

I saw 2-4mpg gains in my old S10 just by slightly altering my driving style. Haven't added this gauge to my jeep - I've only had it about a month and we're still just getting to know eachother.
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #162
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilM0nkey View Post
It's also nearly imposable to get 100% nitrogen in your tires.
our air is made up of a majority of nitrogen. the whole 100% thing is stupid.
(someone may have already said this..)

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 03:36 PM   #163
BlackedOut13
1997 ZJ 

As my friends and I always say when someone asks why you get bad gas mileage...because its a Jeep (its one of those things we do understand haha)
BlackedOut13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #164
emoney
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Many people will say that accelerating slowly is a good way to get better mpg, but that actually isn't the case. What works the best is to accelerate quickly into second gear, the slowly build up speed from there. Cars are least efficient when they are running at really low RPM, low speed, and low torque. You need to spend as little time as possible around the lowest end of the spectrum. When you're at 0 mph, all the gas being used just keeps the engine running, and it's not used to overcome external forces (friction, weigh, air resistance, etc...) at 5 miles per hour, the jeep is running at very low rpm, and most of the gas is used just to keep the engine from dying. Once you hit 10-15 mph, you're primarily overcoming the normal force between your car and the road, and almost no gas is used solely for the purpose of keeping the engine running, that's when you should stop accelerating as rapidly and let the car slowly gain speed up to the cruising speed.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #165
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cars are least efficient when they are running at really low RPM,
What about Jeeps?
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.