Testing front upper windows with some spray tint.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Testing front upper windows with some spray tint..

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Testing front upper windows with some spray tint..

I just said this in another thread but I have a set of uppers in my garage that I have no use for because a friend shot a BB through them and I bought new ones so now those are just sitting there..

I bought a can of tint for my markers the other day and still have almost the whole can left and was going to try spraying it on an upper door skin and see what happens..

Would anybody be interested in seeing this? I have no other use for those uppers with holes in them..

My build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-tj-college-build-1186424/
wrscpc07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
daven75

I would, why not, I'm sure alot of people are wondering, not just jeepers.
daven75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

OK, so I tested the window. .

NOTE.. I did not take a lot of time to do this. I literally taped it of, sprayed it half ***. I just used the can, not a different nozzle or anything. It only covers about two inches so as I was spraying back and forth it definitely made lines so I sort of just kept spraying everywhere. I only did that once, no second coat was added. I'm sure I could have done a better job, also done it in a better area because a leaf fell on it as I was doing it so it sorta got marked up on the top left corner. But, it at least gives us some answers. I will probably try it on the other window later but take it a bit more seriously and do a better job..

i tried to capture it every angle of the window so you can see. There are definitely lines on the inside but you cant tell from the outside. Also note that I did not take the window and put it on the frame I literally just opened the window thats on my upper now and then put the tinted one in place and slammed the door to hold it up.I also folded the window and rolled it multiple times and no creases. But who folds these windows anyway? I unzip mine and just hang it inside the door..

Conclusion:

Does it look good? Yes, but from the outside only. Inside you can see the streaks from the spray can since the spray wasn't very wide (though with time and effort I probably could have made it better)

Can you see? Eh, you can see objects from the inside but it's blurry. From the outside you can't see in

Is it legal? I'm assuming absolutely not

Tomorrow I might do my second damaged window but take the time and see how it comes out with more effort.

My build:
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Ferrachi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've been wondering about this for sometime now. What product did you use? Thanks for shareing this, was too afraid to try myself.
Ferrachi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrachi View Post
I've been wondering about this for sometime now. What product did you use? Thanks for shareing this, was too afraid to try myself.
I would have never done this without having those useless spares. I wouldn't want to ruin mine without knowing for sure. I'll post a pic of the can later but it was rustoleum window tint

My build:
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Gonna start uploading all the pics
1.jpg   2.jpg   4.jpg  

My build:
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You can see on the pics of the inside of the window the streaks from me going back and fourth spraying. It's hard to see out of. I am going to test tonight how well you can see lights from the inside but it's pretty much a blur
4.jpg   5.jpg   6.jpg   8.jpg   7.jpg  

9.jpg  

My build:
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My build:
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sure does look good from the outside though..
10.jpg   11.jpg   12.jpg   13.jpg   15.jpg  

16.jpg  

My build:
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
cwadej
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'd say only as a way to keep eyes and more heat out when parked. Keep them down when driving.
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwadej View Post
I'd say only as a way to keep eyes and more heat out when parked. Keep them down when driving.
I never installed them on my jeep I just used a spare to see what it looked like. But ya, they would be usable for those purposes but you basically cant see anything out of them.

My build:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.