Tag relocation ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Tag relocation ideas

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
tjoffroadr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tag relocation ideas

So, I'm going to relocate my tag to my spare, since the new tire carrier is going to cover it up. Any ideas? I've thought about zip tieing it to the spare, but what about a tag light?

tjoffroadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Are you talking about a license plate?
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
tjoffroadr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I guess down here in redneckville Alabama, it's turned into car tag haha! But yes, license plate.
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

A couple places (Rockhard 4x4 is one) sell a thing that mounts between the spare & carrier. There are light option you can probably plug into the 3rd's pigtail.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
MarlboroWrangle

i dont have pictures at the moment BUT you could make one just how you talked about, between the spare and the carrier.

i made one out of 2x2 box tubing that disconnected if you ever needed to take the spare off. just have it work like a hitch receiver with a cotter pin and you're good to go!
MarlboroWrangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
tjoffroadr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone know the law in Alabama? Do you have to have a tag light?
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #7
Damiendrt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well don't beat me up to bad but I am a cop in Alabama. So yes the law says you have to have a tag light. Depending on what area you are in as to how picky the police are. I removed my stock mount as it can cause tub damage if it hits stuff. Lucky for me I only busted the plastic mount up. I got a kit that moved the tag to the tire carrier. It's in the center of my spare. Has a quick disconnect so I can get to my tire. Also came with wiring and a led light to illuminate the tag. Cost me about 50 bucks with shipping I think.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Damiendrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiendrt
Well don't beat me up to bad but I am a cop in Alabama. So yes the law says you have to have a tag light. Depending on what area you are in as to how picky the police are. I removed my stock mount as it can cause tub damage if it hits stuff. Lucky for me I only busted the plastic mount up. I got a kit that moved the tag to the tire carrier. It's in the center of my spare. Has a quick disconnect so I can get to my tire. Also came with wiring and a led light to illuminate the tag. Cost me about 50 bucks with shipping I think. Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Two words - probable cause. Light that tag up. In all seriousness, thank you for your service. My stepdad is retired PD. Tons of respect for you guys and the what you do.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.