Soft Top Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Soft Top Help

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 11-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
monster96xj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Soft Top Help

I just bought my first Wrangler, its a 2000 model and the PO didnt take very good care of the top, there's no holes or damage but the velcro is wore at the back windows and doesn't hold in place, there's also some small leaks around the stitching at the back, is there any conditioner i can buy to "soften" the top back up and make it usable for a little while longer? I also need to do something with the windows to get the "fog" off of them but not sure what to use that wont etch the plastic but works as it should.

monster96xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You are better off getting a replacement roof. Anything you are trying to do to prolong the life of that roof is just pumping gas into a car at the junkyard. Don't waste the effort.
My '01 TJ has been through three soft tops, although we have typically left the Jeep outside in both Florida and Texas weather, so that shortens the lifespan. We have restitched the seams on the last two, and patched up tears in the rear window, but ultimately they were all a total loss.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The fog on the windows in probably scratches.

For the leaking at the stitching, you can try rubbing some silicon RTV, black or clear, into the seam and wipe off the excess. The silicon should fill the holes and still be pliable.

But like stated above, the fabric does just tired and old, and replacement is needed.
Unread 11-28-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Patching is just temporary, and the problems will move somewhere else. Fortunately replacing the top on a Wrangler is easier and cheaper than pretty much any other convertible.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Also to mention, sometimes you can find used tops and window panels on CraigsList, etc. but there is no garuntee that they will be in any better shape.

I got real lucky finding one, and then even sold my older one.
Unread 11-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
monster96xj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

the fog isnt scratches, its just fogged over, i will replace the top, just wanted to see if i could prolong it until summer time, soft tops are scarce around here, everyone runs them till the duct tape falls off....lol
monster96xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.