Simple Front Seat Risers under $5 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 17 Old 03-06-2017, 08:04 PM
Texcana
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
There is a thread, I think in TJ Tech, with pictures of what can happen. The thread might have been about using hockey pucks as body lift spacers, but the concept is the same.

It may be common and cheap, but I think it is something with pretty big downside. Let's say you get in an accident and the spacer fails due to degradation of the materials. Bolt will then almost certainly snap and then stress and increased load potential issues on remaining bolts. Seat may come loose or at a minimum shift a bit. Not things you want happening in an accident. And what if it isn't your seat, but a passenger. A friend or family member gets hurt. Or someone is killed and their family sues you. Your choice, but personally not something I would choose to be cheap on.
Hi Biff,

After your comments, I did some more research which included the previous hockey puck posts on this website and thought I should look into using metal blocks instead of the hockey pucks. I was also contemplating this because I needed to fix a scratch in the truck liner on my tub. I was lucky enough to get the metal for free and use a nice shop to cut and drill the blocks. So for $4.00 in bolts and a chance to work on my Jeep I might as well replace the pucks. The picture below shows the puck with the most deformation on it from nearly two years of use. All 8 bolts were still very tight well over the required 35 and 55lbs of torque. So I am not sold on the previous comments that hockey pucks are as brittle as other forum topics say.

That being said I would never use them as a body lift or even a bump stop extension.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170306_184541.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 Old 03-07-2017, 04:57 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting the picture. Good to see.

I actually will use them as bumpstop extensions, in particular on the lower pad. When used as extensions they really don't need to be under any serious clamping force. In fact, on the lower pad you can even use epoxy to attach them, although use a lot as they like to come loose if you don't.

Romney in 2020!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.