Simple Front Seat Risers under $5 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-29-2017, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
kparktika
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Simple Front Seat Risers under $5

After spending about a week behind the wheel of my first Jeep, like so many of you, I realized that the front seats were a bit too low. I am not a short guy (just shy of 6'), but still low. Naturally, I looked on-line for a solution. OMG! $60 for eight blocks of what or $25 for plastic?? No way!

First thing I did was stop by a metal supply store and pick up a short piece of a aluminum tubing (1"x2x1/8"). One inch rise worked for me.
1. Cut eight even pieces (30mm wide).
2. Drilled a 9.5mm hole in six of them (three of the four bolts on my TJ are 8x1.25 and one is 11x1.5)
The last one is not very common, so I decided to use the originals. To do that, two of the brackets had to get a slightly different design, allowing for the larger bolt to mount to the floor and a second to the seat. The one inch clearance isn't enough to put those bolts through so a side cut was needed. If you can find couple of longer M11 bolts, you don't need to do this at all.
3. These two were machined out on a mill (take a look at the pic)
4. Finally, I have a small gun case underneath the seat. The front two brackets got a a cutout for the legs of the safe (another pic).
5. Picked up six 8x1.25x55mm hex bolts and couple of shorter ones and that is it!

Believe it or not, it took less than an hour to make everything and I guarantee they work better than those sold on-line.

Pick up any size tubing you like (for your adjustment), make eight cutes and drill 8 holes and you are in business. You don't need to go as far as did with the special cut outs.

Cheers and Happy machining!

Attached Thumbnails
20170127_143027.jpg   20170127_144747.jpg   20170128_234537.jpg   20170127_173916.jpg   20170127_180526.jpg  

20170127_180532.jpg   20170127_173923.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-03-2017, 04:28 PM
OpenRoad

Jesus, nice work kparktika. I love the gun case under the seat. Nice touch
post #3 of 17 Old 02-06-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
kparktika
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoad View Post
Jesus, nice work kparktika. I love the gun case under the seat. Nice touch

Thank you OpenRoad!

post #4 of 17 Old 02-06-2017, 01:31 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
well done.

though when i read simple i was thinking my approach. a stack of hardened washers and long grade 8( or what ever the metric is) bolts. I know the guys in our club always comment/rib me about if they ever need washer they know who has many.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-07-2017, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
kparktika
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
well done.

though when i read simple i was thinking my approach. a stack of hardened washers and long grade 8( or what ever the metric is) bolts. I know the guys in our club always comment/rib me about if they ever need washer they know who has many.
That works too )))))
post #6 of 17 Old 02-09-2017, 07:02 PM
jimeyster

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. Nice job!
post #7 of 17 Old 02-13-2017, 10:41 PM
Badmunky
2004 TJ Wrangler 

LOVE it!
I was talking about doing this the other day.

But I plan to make them from steel.

I may even take a shot at it this weekend!
post #8 of 17 Old 02-23-2017, 03:58 PM
Texcana
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Wow great job. I raised the seats in my TJ with hockey pucks and longer grade 8 bolts for a cost of $3. Hockey pucks are dirt cheap in Canada.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-25-2017, 07:09 AM
Burddog
2005 TJ Wrangler 

"Hockey pucks are dirt cheap in Canada."
Quote of the day! Love it. That sounds like it should be on a T shirt.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-26-2017, 09:47 PM
Fargus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Love it. My poor wife is only 4'11". I may have to borrow this idea. Problem is that I am 6'2" so I can't go too high if I want to still be able to drive it.

Nunya
post #11 of 17 Old 02-27-2017, 09:58 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcana View Post
Wow great job. I raised the seats in my TJ with hockey pucks and longer grade 8 bolts for a cost of $3. Hockey pucks are dirt cheap in Canada.
Hockey pucks are not good choices for seat risers (or any other bolted connection). The material that pucks are made of is not designed to be under constant compressive force that you create when you bolt down the seats. Over time the material can misform or degrade because of it and potentially be a safety risk.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Texcana
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Hockey pucks are not good choices for seat risers (or any other bolted connection). The material that pucks are made of is not designed to be under constant compressive force that you create when you bolt down the seats. Over time the material can misform or degrade because of it and potentially be a safety risk.
You are likely correct. I doubt that compression was ever considered in the design of hockey pucks but it is a very common practice here to use them to raise seats and many other things. I have had them in my Jeep for over a year now with no sign of deformation. Like all modifications home made or professionally fabricated they should be checked from time to time to ensure they are in proper working order.

The reason I elected to use hockey pucks was because I can replace them nearly 50 times before I pay for an aftermarket kit that likely wont last any longer.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-27-2017, 01:27 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

There is a thread, I think in TJ Tech, with pictures of what can happen. The thread might have been about using hockey pucks as body lift spacers, but the concept is the same.

It may be common and cheap, but I think it is something with pretty big downside. Let's say you get in an accident and the spacer fails due to degradation of the materials. Bolt will then almost certainly snap and then stress and increased load potential issues on remaining bolts. Seat may come loose or at a minimum shift a bit. Not things you want happening in an accident. And what if it isn't your seat, but a passenger. A friend or family member gets hurt. Or someone is killed and their family sues you. Your choice, but personally not something I would choose to be cheap on.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-28-2017, 12:58 PM
toader
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Tex dont listen to biff, hockey pucks were made to stand up to repeated shock loading of compresive forces. Keep the pucks ditch the naysayers. Rock on.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
post #15 of 17 Old 02-28-2017, 05:27 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toader View Post
Hey Tex dont listen to biff, hockey pucks were made to stand up to repeated shock loading of compresive forces. Keep the pucks ditch the naysayers. Rock on.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
You think getting hit with a stick is the same as long term, constant clamping force? There is nothing about a discrete short term shock from one side that is comparable to constant clamping force.

I took the time to look up the thread I mentioned above (which actually was about using pucks as seat risers). People can decide for themselves. Here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gr...33/index2.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.