Shift Knob - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Shift Knob

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-13-2006, 11:27 PM   #1
RoverJeep90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Shift Knob

Well, when I bought the Jeep it came with a chrome skull on the 5 spd. and nothing on the 4wd box. Naturally, I went to my retired machinest grandfather and asked him if he could help me out. He drilled me out 4 billiard balls in his shop so they screw straight onto the top. I'm now running around with an 8 and an 9 ball on the shifters. Looks pretty cool and fits perfectly in the hand: Cost - Some extra pool balls, someone's gotta have 'em.

Sony CDX-GT300 | Kicker ZX500.1 | Kicker ZX350.4 | Kicker ZX200.2 | Kicker L5 Solobaric Sub | Kicker 6x9's | Apline 6.5's | Boston 4x6's
Truckstop CB Antenna | Class 3 Hitch
RoverJeep90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2006, 08:47 AM   #2
rare-renegade

Here's a shot of my Top Flite golf ball shifters. Just drilled a smaller hole in it than the shifter threads. Screwed down tightly and volah! I like the feel too (makes me want to go golfin' everyday)!
1991 Renegade, 4" Rough Country Lift, 32" A/T's on 15x8 Canyons, Fr. Runk Bumper, Rear Warn Rock Crusher Bumper, Ramsey 6000# Winch, 4.10 YJ Axles, Blower Mtr. Upgrade, 150 AMP alternator, ZJ Rear Disc Brakes w/Corvette MC, CB w/Firestik, Half Hardoors, Warn Steering Box Guard, KC Highlights.
rare-renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
ImSuck

i cant get my freakin shifternob off what the heck?
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #59
[QUOTE=Grewe02]No such thing. Eat **** and die.[/QUOTE]

lifted with some extra's
......sold
ImSuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
TJVigilante
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
i cant get my freakin shifternob off what the heck?

You're suffering from limpwrist disease..common in San Francisco and vermont.

I dunno, I'm having the same issue.
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
rare-renegade

If I remember correctly, the TJs you have to pop off the shift pattern logo and under it is the nut that holds it to the shift lever.
1991 Renegade, 4" Rough Country Lift, 32" A/T's on 15x8 Canyons, Fr. Runk Bumper, Rear Warn Rock Crusher Bumper, Ramsey 6000# Winch, 4.10 YJ Axles, Blower Mtr. Upgrade, 150 AMP alternator, ZJ Rear Disc Brakes w/Corvette MC, CB w/Firestik, Half Hardoors, Warn Steering Box Guard, KC Highlights.
rare-renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
Gigidy Gigidy

Damn,if I only knew that yesterday. I was removeing the interior to herculine it and when I came to the 4x4 shifter I noticed 2 notches on the side and I thought ok Ill unscrew it with a wrench, well it came off alright, now I have a knobless shifter!!!
Gigidy Gigidy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

I took a universal shift knob and fit a nut inside to thread on. In the past, all the universal shifter knobs I've used have eventually come loose and rattled, but these have been on for 2~ months now and are still holding tight.
Unread 04-19-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
hawaii
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet pete. I've been stabbing at the sides of the ball trying to get the "pattern top" out of and she's just not gonna do it cap'n. I have almost destroyed the ball and the cap is still in there! What did you guys use? My girlfriend told me I should put a grenade there, "it would look cool". Oh she's a keeper.
hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2006, 01:15 PM   #9
jeepcjcrazy

Try www.flameball.com
jeepcjcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #10
wwiihistory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJVigilante
You're suffering from limpwrist disease..common in San Francisco and vermont.

I dunno, I'm having the same issue.
This coming from a guy who lives in a state with an outrageously high man to woman ratio....lol

95 Sahara, 4.0L, 5 spd, Olive/Tan, HT,HD's, 31's,3.07s

Military Jeep club member 1941,1942,1943,1944, and 1945
wwiihistory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2006, 10:54 AM   #11
gUanoTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

have you tried just twisting the stock knob...i think thats how I got mine off, but i can't remember. i just know i didn't pry the top apart
gUanoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.