Shaking sound when stopped in drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Shaking sound when stopped in drive

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
sparnell1994

Shaking sound when stopped in drive

Whatsup guys I have a 95 jeep grand cherokee Laredo when I put it into drive or reverse with my foot on the brakes it shakes and makes areally annoying sound Kindve like something is loose but as soon as i accelerate it stops any ideas?

sparnell1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #2
AF-Jeff
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

My buddies trans am does the same thing. Every time he is at a red light his dash shakes all over the place but stops as soon as he gets to moving.
AF-Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
d_diesel27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem, my clutch just got replaced the other day and this noise came with it. I would also like to know what this is. Mine sounds like its coming from the right part of the dash. I looked for what it could be and found nothing
d_diesel27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
sparnell1994

I have an automatic sadly I'm gonna do a tune up Saturday morning on it hopefully it will help do you think maybe it could be something loose in the dash
sparnell1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
d_diesel27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thats what i hope, just something not so important knocked loose
d_diesel27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Jimbo58
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would check the tranny mount. I had a vehicle the shook like describe and it turned out to be the tranny mount. Just my 2 cents.

Jim
Jimbo58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
CrowDriver

Could this be a u-joint that stops vibrating when the rpm goes up, sort of dynamically balanced but not at low revolutions? Happened to me long ago, but can't remember if the noise went away at high or low rpm, was one or the other.
CrowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
Indy

Ujoints dont turn when the car isnt moving.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 03:05 AM   #9
CrowDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Ujoints dont turn when the car isnt moving.
I am sure that is news to us all, so thanks.
CrowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
longman
2014 JK Wrangler 

On my old XJ, the exhaust pipe runs VERY close over the top of the trans/xfer case crossmember. If the engine is running the least-bit rough, it shakes a bit ...enough to cause the pipe to make slight contact with the crossmember, causing a "shaking sound" very much like the OP describes. You can't really pinpoint where it's coming from when inside the Jeep, because it resonates through the whole bottom side.

After the engine got about 175k miles on it, no matter how much I tried to smooth the idle out with a tune-up, it would still do it sometimes (i.e. cold mornings, etc.). I finally jacked it up and gained enough clearance by reefing on the pipe with a large bar.

Just something cheap to check (clearances of exhaust pipe to frame members etc.)
longman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.