Rusted YJ Fender Hole Fix - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 11-13-2010, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
johnrmclean
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Rusted YJ Fender Hole Fix

I have a 94 YJ. Most of the fender is good except for a rusted through hole above the wheel well in the typical place. Does anyone have a cheap fix/cover idea to salvage the the fender withour having to replace it??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-14-2010, 06:45 PM
GilNewJeeper
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrmclean View Post
I have a 94 YJ. Most of the fender is good except for a rusted through hole above the wheel well in the typical place. Does anyone have a cheap fix/cover idea to salvage the the fender withour having to replace it??
This is how my friend saved my passenger fender; if you know how to weld you can do it yourself, I don't have the skills yet.

Rusted Spot

Step 1 - cutting the rusted part

Step 2 - Sanded and prepared

Step 3 - Cut a piece to weld on

Step 4 - Weld the new piece

Step 5 - Do the body work

Last step - prime and paint

Hope this can help

Did you Hug your Jeep today?
2008 Jeep Liberty
1994 Wrangler Sahara
post #3 of 24 Old 11-14-2010, 08:09 PM
MattTB
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It probably would be cheaper and faster to find someone parting out their jeep locally and buy theres.

post #4 of 24 Old 11-15-2010, 01:16 PM
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

thats not cheap unless you spray paint it after lol

Zack
13 JKU Stock
93 ZJ F/R Long Arms, 4.56 gears
96 ZJ HP44 / 9" (RIP)
post #5 of 24 Old 11-16-2010, 07:27 PM
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

A sticker.

I don't blame people for their mistakes, but I do expect they pay for them.

Ash from Army of Darkness
Quote:
Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?
post #6 of 24 Old 11-19-2010, 03:54 AM
SRC21
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you want super cheap and don't mind a rough look (that is if you don't apply body filler afterwards and paint)
you can use fiberglass. Its not correct but will work.

Or you can put cardboard behind it and bondo on top like the monkey that owned my jeep before me did! Seriously don't use cardboard.
post #7 of 24 Old 11-19-2010, 11:38 AM
idolax
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Its the Thrill of Victory, to do it yourself.

Lifted with tires and some rust, it runs, I fix, it runs, I fix, and I have fun.

Never rush to buy a jeep, save cash to fix it!
post #8 of 24 Old 12-13-2010, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
johnrmclean
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet repair done right......I did one Jeep that way too. Last one I just replaced the whole fender. I had the exact same rust situation on this Jeep(among others) I have a welder but suck welding sheet metal. I tried something new .......glue...... worked great... I actually made a replacement piece out of heat duct sheet metal including a flange on the back side to reattach the fender flares then I used construction adhesive to attachesd it but rather that feather the piece into the rest of the body with bondo....since I also had other rust spots along the rocker panels....On the sides I cut the worst rust out and treated the remainder with with encasulator. I screwed, pop riveted "nd or glued some pieces of heat duct sheet metal over the holes and then bought 2 pieces of flat metal 62" x 6" primed and painted it black then glued ( construction glue and a caulk gun) and screwed it along the whole rocker panel from wheel well to wheel well. Looks great. Inside I cut the rust holes out, encapsulated the rust and replaced the floor pans with new ones from Quadratec. They have new pans now that are a few buck more than the old flat replacement but are a direct replacement and are already e coated. They fit great and are well worth the extra $30!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again I used glue and screws to install the new pans. Then I rebuilt the inner walls of the tub/rocker panels by using glued in metal covered with high fiberglass content fillers, fiberglass dry wall mess tape and fiberglass mesh fabric. It worked out really well. By extensively using construction glue I avoided having to do any welding and have a water tight permanent repair. Fairly easy and sweet. On the top side of the fender I made a U shaped panel out of diamond plate wheel flaps to cover over the rusted and cracked fender and create support to srew the wheel flare back into. Worker great, cheap and looks like an accessory. I may put a hook or something on it to make it look even more functional. Bad thing about Jeeps is they are rust buckets..good thing is a creatrive person can find a lot of ways to repair them cheap.... a couple other creative materials I have used to help build and replace panel or holes, fiberglass dry wall tape, aluminum duct tape, great foam..use to aluminum tape to make forms or cover holes to fiberglass over, use great foam to fill large voids then trim to use as backing for fiberglass... works good on rusted out cab corners... have a Great DaY all......
post #9 of 24 Old 02-14-2011, 09:02 PM
stobob1
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrmclean View Post
aluminum duct tape, great foam..use to aluminum tape to make forms or cover holes to fiberglass over, use great foam to fill large voids then trim to use as backing for fiberglass... works good on rusted out cab corners... have a Great DaY all......
Great Stuff and an Ice cube. Spray it in the hole and work the ice over it to Stop it from expanding. Also gives it a smooth surface. Rattle can and good as new!!!
post #10 of 24 Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
johnrmclean
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Nice additional tip for working with the foam!!!
post #11 of 24 Old 02-21-2011, 01:47 PM
SGTCornewell
2002 KJ Liberty 

i prefer to use sheet metal and rivet in place like a battle scarred WW2 plane. seal the edges except the bottom one so water can drain out.
post #12 of 24 Old 02-21-2011, 05:17 PM
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's not a "cheap fix". But I just took mine out with an angle grinder and did some tube fenders last week.

You can see them in the link in my sig.

1995 YJ 2.5 - 4 RC lift - 1" MML - 33's - flat fenders front - TJ flares rear -Raptor lined exterior - Herc'd interior - DIY front bumper & winch plate - 136 amp alternator mod - 4.0 TB swap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
post #13 of 24 Old 01-07-2012, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
johnrmclean
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check out the video on Eastwood's site for their panel re
pacement kit..it shows a real nice video of how to repairs a rusted out hole on a MG fender ....some good tips
post #14 of 24 Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 AM
marzcap328
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My father deals to body shops, and every one of his guys I brought it to told me I'd be better off just replacing the fender. Repairing/patching the spot is only going to last for so long, so they said I might as well start fresh. Fender for $100, sprayed by the guy I bought the YJ from, and installed it myself. Good as new.

93 YJ, Black on White
United States Navy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 24 Old 02-13-2012, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
johnrmclean
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That is the nice thing about Jeep fenders..pretty cheap and really easy to replace. Easy to unbolt and bolt a new one on. As I recall only an hour or two job. I have done a few of those too. One word of caution. The $100 replacement fenders have very poor corrosion protection. You are best advised to prime and paint the fender WELL before you put it on the Jeep or it will rust out 5 times as fast as the factor fender!!!! I put a couple on my kids Jeep a few years ago and we spray painted it once on the jeep so could not or did not get all the inner surfaces well..it had considerable cancer again after only one winter. Make sure you get the back side and all unexposed surfaces coated and protected well or you will be very disappointed very fast. Best of luck!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.