Round II of 'Cheap, Easy Mods' - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Round II of 'Cheap, Easy Mods'

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
JerseyTJChick

Round II of 'Cheap, Easy Mods'

Okay, all. One of my favorite threads here is the 'cheap, easy mods' thread. However, it seems like that one went off on a visor-label-removal tangent, and seems to have fallen off the map.
What are some cheap, easy mods to either functionalize, trailize (is that a word?!!?!?!), or beutify your rig (NO CHROME!).

I'll start:
1. no beating of dead horses, so whatever means you used, remove the ugly warning stickers from your visor, or if male, get the cute 'all girls remove their clothes' warning stickers off of ebay.
2. krylon fusion. Fender flares, chrome headlight bezels, whatever you want to be black
3. Take off the bumper endcaps. If you have time, and a dremel tool, cut them at angles across the bottom for that rebel look.
4. Install velro or screw-in second cupholder from wallmart. $2.99
5. Seat Covers. Sew em, buy em, who cares? Keep your @ss from sticking to hot vinyl when you hop in your rig in a bikini.
6. invest $6.00 in stickers. No 'my kid beat up your honor student' BS. We're talking about 'life's short, play naked', 'Real Chicks Go Topless', H2 recovery team, etc. I personally peeled off the 'JEEP' from the sides of the rig, and re-applied black lettering to match the rest of the rig.
7. Little 'Catch-all' trash catcher - walmart $1.99. Keeps trash from attacking you with the top down.
8. BUNGEE CORDS. Who cares why? You need at least 10 to own a Jeep!
9. Bandana's. They work for tying back long hair, holding down flapping seatbelts, or gagging annoying people in the back seat!
10. Hook keyrings to your seat pulls. Some use them for zippers, but I found that they flapped around too much at 70MPH.
11. New tires. I can't go too big with a 4-banger, so I had no need to lift right away to fit larger tires. When my stock tires started going to hell, I dumped a little extra money into 31" with black steel rims. Not a bad investment, and the change was HUGE. If you can lift it, lift it. There are enough write-ups here that you and a bunch of people with a lot of beer can do it in a weekend pretty cheep (as opposed to actually having it installed). Rent jacks from home depot...$20.00.

That's all I have for now.

What have you done? Figure $100-$200 or less....

Unread 01-08-2006, 07:57 PM   #2
Polaris

given the recent trend in sheetmetal trimming in this forum, go flatfender.
ORIGINAL Black Jeep Club Member #34

ThePointbreak.org | Mods and Wheeling pics
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
ThatGuysTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

WELL PUT!! That List About Covers It
Unread 01-09-2006, 06:58 AM   #4
jeep_chinto

sounds good to me..

btw. what part of jersey u from?
jeep_chinto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 07:03 AM   #5
EaglesSJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Flat fender it and dont look back one of the best mods I have done in a while.

Unread 01-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #6
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyTJChick
What have you done? Figure $100-$200 or less....
Under $100? Lessee...

Bought a 3 cell MagLite with mounting brackets, got two magnetic "tool holders" from Home Depot and screwed the mounting brackets onto the magnets. Attached to bottom inside by driver's door since'06 driver's seat mount didn't have enough clearance. Out of sight, doesn't slip, there when I need it.

Convex mirrors double-sided taped to mirrors on each side. No blind spots.

Door entry gaurds - cuts down on @#$@# passengers stepping on tub.

McGaurd wheel locks; keeps the honest folks honest and amuses the car thieves.

Ditto BullDog alarm with speech alarm: "You're TOO CLOSE to the vehicle"

Silverstar headlamps

Seat risers on driver's seat to gain 1.5" height

Stone gaurds on headlamps to protect new Silverstars.

Fuel door cover.

Locking gas cap from dealer keyed to ignition key.

Everything else was over a hundred...so far. Have got new tow hooks on order but haven't arrive yet. Still haven't mounted fire extinguisher or replaced the wimpy OEM horn...and I wanna glue felt to the MagLite magnet mounts but have too lazy to find some felt...

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels. - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

'95 YJ, '00 XJ, '06 TJ, (Current:) '08 XK
FmrVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
JerseyTJChick

"Seat risers on driver's seat to gain 1.5" height "

Good lord! I'd never be able to reach the pedals!

But I love the maglight idea.

I'm from just off of Fort Dix, down in Burlington County. About 20 Min from Philly and 1 hr from NY. Grew up in N. Jersey, in Mahwa...Extreme north Bergen county...

PS: until you get time to mount the fire extinguisher (or procrastinate and keep forgetting like I do), hook it to the roll bar just behind the passenger seat. Real low. The handle hooks right over the roll-bar-raper, and it jams right over the wheel well. It stays really well! hmmm...maybe that's why I keep forgetting...
Unread 01-09-2006, 04:01 PM   #8
94YJ H.O.

If you\'ve got offroad/fog lights you can actually make your plastic covers functional...

Rather then tossing them to the side, take a dremel tool and cut a rectangular from left to right in the middle of the cover (or where ever lines up with the bulb). Make it large enough to let lots of light through, but not so big as to allow stones to smash them easily.

Paint the insides and outsides black with, of course, flat black Krylon Fusion (left over from the flares of course ). Let dry, install and enjoy your military style blackouts. No more worrying about stones on the freeway and no hassle with removing them everytime you want to use them.

My NEW [url="http://www.rigrater.com"]RigRater[/url] Score: 406RRv1.0 with a BOA of 31.60
94YJ H.O. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #9
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

[QUOTE=JerseyTJChick...until you get time to mount the fire extinguisher hook it to the roll bar just behind the passenger seat. Real low. The handle hooks right over the roll-bar-raper, and it jams right over the wheel well. It stays really well! hmmm...maybe that's why I keep forgetting...[/QUOTE]

I'll have to take a look - I have the Extenda-trunk (back seat removed) and don't know if the ext. will fit there...but I gotta get it installed somewhere, somehow, somewhen...also the speedo gear is waiting to be replaced...also...and also...and also...

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels. - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

Unread 01-09-2006, 07:28 PM   #10
MoochsXJ
2007 WK 

I broke the little stem off my coolant overflow bottle on my '98 4.0L, and insted of buying a new bottle I widend the hole and put in a little plastic connector thingy, attached the hose to the other end and bam problem solved. It cost me less then a buck. I'm also currently working on a way to fab up a mounting point in the trunk or under the rear seat for my craftsman 3-ton floor jack(stock one missing, got things to fix before buying hi-lift).

MoochsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2006, 08:54 AM   #11
Breathe_EZ

Keyrings or carbiners on the window zipper pulls don't flap if you tuck them under the velcro. Also, the convex mirrors for watching the kids in the backseat are great. They have suction cups so you can mount them as side views when the doors are off. Might just be just enough of a bargining tool to talk the cop out of giving you a ticket.
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Lime"]Geek Offroad Member #1[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273275"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Sienna Jeep Club Member # 3.14159265[/COLOR][/URL]
Breathe_EZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #12
06slvrrubi
Lovin' Life

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmrVette
Under $100? Lessee...

Bought a 3 cell MagLite with mounting brackets, got two magnetic "tool holders" from Home Depot and screwed the mounting brackets onto the magnets. Attached to bottom inside by driver's door since'06 driver's seat mount didn't have enough clearance. Out of sight, doesn't slip, there when I need it.
You got any pics of this setup? I'm having a hard time visualizing it but it sounds real cool and sounds like something I might wanna do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmrVette
Fuel door cover.
I got a locking fuel filler door for Christmas. It looks exactly like this one but it's black powdercoated. I really think it looks good in black and I also like the locking aspect of it.

06slvrrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #13
SGT Superman
2000 WJ 

Hey JerseyTJChick, do u got a link to those "all girls remove their clothes" warning stickers? Did a quick search on Ebay and nothin
Green Jeep Club Member #174
GO COUGS!
SGT Superman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #14
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85fiero
You got any pics of this setup? I'm having a hard time visualizing it but it sounds real cool and sounds like something I might wanna do...
I can shoot a pic or two tomorrow and post.

The magnetic "tool holders" come with a hole in the middle of the magnet. The flashlight clips have threaded holes in the base. So, run a screw through the magnet, into the base of the clips and you're done. Placed under the driver's door the MagLite isn't visible from outside the Jeep, but instantly available from the driver's seat. I modified an idea from Jerry Bransford, who has his mounted to the driver's seat bracket. On the '06 I have the driver's seat folds foward like the passenger side, so there's no solid place on the seat bracket. Under the driver's door on the side of the tub works great. I ordered the 3 cell MagLite and it fits perfectly, although I think there's room to put in a 4 cell if you prefer.

I like the locking door; I have the Quadratec door in powder coat, but it doesn't lock, which is why I got the locking gas cap. I've not seen one like you have. Neat.

Unread 01-11-2006, 10:40 PM   #15
drhayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Superman
Hey JerseyTJChick, do u got a link to those "all girls remove their clothes" warning stickers? Did a quick search on Ebay and nothin
I believe this is what she is talking about..

Sticker on Ebay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.