Removing a stripped screw - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Removing a stripped screw

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
jLowrey83
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Removing a stripped screw

So while I was installing my mirror-movers, I managed to strip the head out of the very last screw I had to remove. I rode around for a week or 2 while I decided what to do with only one screw holding the mirror on. Here's what I finally did this evening.

The passenger side mirror mover went on flawlessly

The driver side however, fought me so much that my torx driver scratched the paint

I smacked the screw a few times all around with a center punch to break up the loc-tite. I then drilled out the the stripped torx head with a 7/32 bit, about 1/4"-1/3" deep. PUT EYE PROTECTION ON. It spits shavings out pretty far, the faster you drill.

I then whipped out my freshly purchased "Century Drill & Tool Screw Extractors". $12 for the 5 pack (3/32"-5/8") at O'reilly autoparts.

Since neither of my 12v cordless drills had the balls, i smacked the #5(largest) extractor into the screw head with a standard claw hammer.

Since I couldn't seem to find my vicegrips, i tried channel-locs. No luck they just slipped right off. A 6" chinese crap & decker crescent wrench did the trick.

I heard the loc-tite SNAP! And out the screw came.

I've now gone through and replaced all these with 1/2" bolts along with some anti-seize for if/when I need to remove the mirror-movers. Hope this helps someone. It was relatively painless. Honestly the hardest part was seeing that stripped head when it all first happened.

Happy Jeeping!

Last edited by jLowrey83; 04-10-2012 at 07:41 AM..
jLowrey83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Erek.Smith
1995 ZJ 

Are you going to do a write-up on repairing the scratched paint?

Great job!
Essential gear for America's heroes
Erek.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
jLowrey83
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erek.Smith View Post
Are you going to do a write-up on repairing the scratched paint?

Great job!
Ha! Well the mirror-mover covers it for now. Maybe sometime down the road. Least of my worries for the time being. Gotta love a Jeep. Thanks!
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
rperry
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I feel your pain brother! I had the exact same thing happen to me. Drilled, and tried an extractor but it kept slipping. So i drilled it out 1 size larger then pounded a Torx bit in with a hammer and finally got it out. Repainted the mirror movers (bought them on CL for $12) and re-installed them tonight.
rperry is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.