Refurbishing the inside cheaply! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Refurbishing the inside cheaply!

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
bjones89

Refurbishing the inside cheaply!

So I bought a 97 sahara. But the previous owner had a dog so the inside is a bit rough. Any ideas how to make it look a little newer? Pics of the dash and liner. Plasti dip, rhino line, paint? Any ideas will help!

forumrunner_20130219_111620.jpg

forumrunner_20130219_111635.jpg

forumrunner_20130219_111649.jpg

forumrunner_20130219_111704.jpg

bjones89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hi bjones89,

I cannot comment on the dash or doors.
But as for the floor, what i did with mine is put a liner on it.

Herculiner that is. http://www.herculiner.com/product_info.htm
It is on the cheap but what gets you is the labor.
Took me a solid weekend to take everything out of my car
Wash it, Sand it, wash it again, let it dry and then roll it on.

Its alot better then having the carpet, after you are done get two front rubber floor mats throw it in and call it a day.
Ill try to find my pics and post it here for your reference.
Front D30 (4.88 w/ Powertrax No-Slip) -- Rear 8.8 (4.88 w/ ARB) -- Front Custom Bumper -- Custom Side Rock Guards -- Dual Snorkel (Coming Soon)
djfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
bjones89

Is it shiny or subtle? About how much did it cost? Does it hold up well? is it slippery or course? Sorry just some q's. Also anyone do any plasti dip to anything? Also looking for something to help with rust on some metal parts.
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Its not shiny at all. Its closer to a Matt finish which is what i wanted. I got the Gallon set that i linked before that cost me around $79.99 & i got a $30 rebate back when i submitted it. I rolled the car twice & still have paint left over.

The high traffic area Driver/Passenger floor board has stood up to the test.
For over a year & half i didn't have rubber mats no one white space is shown.

When wet its not slippery, i was just in the Mountains last weekend where it was snowing & i came in car with wet shoes & it held up pretty well.

Plasti-Dip would be out of the question for areas with high traffic. That thing will peel off really quickly, apply plasti-dip to the body of the car leave it for couple days come back with
your finger nail & you can peel it off.

& as for the rust, if its for a small area, take a grinder or dremel & take the rust out but if its spreading cut it out & weld on a new piece of metal there.
Front D30 (4.88 w/ Powertrax No-Slip) -- Rear 8.8 (4.88 w/ ARB) -- Front Custom Bumper -- Custom Side Rock Guards -- Dual Snorkel (Coming Soon)
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Definitely line the floor is a good option. I, and many others, have had *wonderful* experiences with Monstaliner (lots of awesome colors too!)

In terms of the dash and door, you should be able to remove those panels, scuff them up a bit, and a couple coats of Krylon paint aught to do the trick.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
bjones89

Djfred-thanks so much. I'm deff gonna look into that. Price is reasonable as well.
Krawlingforward- thanks for your help also will look into that as well.
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Your welcome, post pics when done.
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Duplicolour makes a vinyl/fabric paint that works GREAT on dash panels. I did my 300zx, and it had panels in similar condition. You WOULD need to scuff it up a fair bit though, since it seems like you have quite a few scratches and such.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
Ryman12
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure if you have made your decision yet, but I would say please stay away from Hurculiner. Go with monstaliner, trust me. Hurculiner looks good for about a week. Once it gets dirty it is nearly impossible to get clean. It also fades, however I have found that tire shine can bring back some of its luster haha
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Every bodies results will vary, but i have had mine on for close to a year, with no fade.
Yes it does get dirty and muddy i just hose it down and its good to go, not 100% clean but,
what lining will go back to 100% new again.
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
jonmaclean19
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickxeo View Post
Duplicolour makes a vinyl/fabric paint that works GREAT on dash panels. I did my 300zx, and it had panels in similar condition. You WOULD need to scuff it up a fair bit though, since it seems like you have quite a few scratches and such.
X2 my buddy did this to his sc400 and il looks 100 times better
jonmaclean19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.