Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Refacing rotor, or get a new one?

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  dbabicky 
#1 ·
Front rotors are worn out, and a decent groove in it. Should I reface them, or just get new ones?

#3 ·
bob6987 said:
reface if they can be. saves money and they will work fine
That's what is usually don't, just seeing if there was a con or anything. Thanks.

#4 ·
I suggest new rotors. The price has gone down a lot in the past few years so they are reasonable. If you resurface them they get thinner so they can fade easier if your going fast lol. And under hard braking they will heat up faster and warp so you get pulsation. Plus if they are turned you can get a directional surface so they squeak. None safety concerns except fading but when i do brakes i either just do pads if im tight on money or get new rotors.

#9 ·
dbabicky said:
By the time you pay to get them turned , you're already past 3/4 of the cost of new ones. Don't even waste your money or time. Just buy new ones.
Well I ask reface because I know someone who can do it for next ti nothing. But I bought a new pad and rotor kit.

#10 ·
I here what you're saying it's up to you. I help out at my friends garage quite a bit and I can turn my own rotor's for free, but on these newer rotors I still just buy new ones. Now on the older ones that have the hub and rotor together, I will turn those because of the price even if you buy just the rotor and press it to the hub, those style are pricy.:cheers2:

#11 ·
dbabicky said:
I here what you're saying it's up to you. I help out at my friends garage quite a bit and I can turn my own rotor's for free, but on these newer rotors I still just buy new ones. Now on the older ones that have the hub and rotor together, I will turn those because of the price even if you buy just the rotor and press it to the hub, those style are pricy.:cheers2:
Yep basically same deal. it was cheap anyway for the pads and rotor as mentioned. Might as well get new lol thanks everyone!

#16 ·
Thanks, already done. Got new ones. Only reason I asked was a buddy of mine could reface them. Just got new ones and pads. Next is my u-joint. Keeps breaking...

Sent from my space using JeepForum

#17 · (Edited)
I am replacing rotors and brakes on my 2007 Liberty , can't seem to get the rotors off . They have not been off before , seems to be just rusted on tight . Tried hitting them from all around(witha piece of wood protecting them ) , just can't seem to shake them off . I will try some Liquid Wrench on them , and i have removed the small retaining tabs on the lug studs , I am missing something else to remove ? I have the caliper and the brake pad clip off of course.
Thanks for any help .
As a though , should I take a propane torch for sweating copper pipes and heat up the rotor , I would be carefull not to damage the hub , just warm it up to maybe loosen it (heat expands metal , right)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.