Rear access panel for fuel system - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Rear access panel for fuel system

Awesome Open box items at OPENBOXOFFROAD.COMIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.com

Unread 01-29-2015, 12:45 AM   #1
RARECJ8
1981 CJ8 

Rear access panel for fuel system

www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
Diverdown87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good idea but I think that license plate is a little small for a cover......LOL

My idea of help from the man above is a sniper on the roof.
Diverdown87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
RARECJ8
1981 CJ8 

yes. Handy way to access the in tank fuel pump and sending unit, etc etc. No more need to drop entire 33 gal tank. Been there done that 3x. Enough.

Initially thought of a hinged panel but ended up just using a piece of aluminum diamond plate and screwed it down with self tappers. (not the old license place haha) then sealed with black silicone.
www.hillsangels4x4.com
Unread 01-29-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
TennesseeYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here is mine for the YJ Fuel Pump access
TennesseeYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
RARECJ8
1981 CJ8 

nice video, although i have a CJ... when i did the new upgrades rather than hose clamps i went with AN style fittings. And since the full filter is external on my set up, went with a screw-on fuel filter (much like an oil filter) that makes filter swaps so much less messy and faster. The MOPAR in line filter is a PITA especially when the lines get dried and hardened. Plus hose clamps tend to cut into the line and over time may cause even the slightest pin hole that will soon cause a shut down and its a painful process to locate where the system is losing pressure. Also added an electrical fuel pressure gauge on dash. Sending unit screws onto the fuel rail on engine.

Knowing fuel pressure is priceless to assist trouble shooting.
www.hillsangels4x4.com
Unread 01-30-2015, 05:37 AM   #6
Diverdown87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This was what I did for my 98

Boat deck plate with screw in cap.

Unread 01-30-2015, 10:53 PM   #7
k2enemy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hijack, but I have that same Thirtyone bag! My wife was pissed when she saw it being used as a recovery dope bag.
k2enemy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2015, 12:45 AM   #8
RARECJ8
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdown87 View Post
This was what I did for my 98

Boat deck plate with screw in cap.

Diver, like it. It should be a factory feature. Ur hatch is small understandably with that fuel system. My CJ has an Aero 33 gal monster. Drop in pump is separate from the sending unit. Takes more room. The boat hatch is clever.
www.hillsangels4x4.com
Unread 01-31-2015, 12:57 AM   #9
RARECJ8
1981 CJ8 

FWIW inline spin on/off fuel filter

before i hit the floor with the plasma. just marking out the area ---yes, tank was out.

all buttoned up and ready to seal the portal

all sealed up.

EDIT: the self tapper screws are bevel headed and i sounter sunk the holes on diamond plate. flush surface. then sealed the gaps between plate and tub bottom with black silicone.
www.hillsangels4x4.com
Unread 02-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #10
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ive been considering a similar project for the Crankshaft Position Sensor on my Cherokee. Not that it goes bad often but a trail or highway replacement could be done real fast without jacking it up.
Nice job on the access.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2015, 09:06 AM   #11
Diverdown87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2enemy View Post
Sorry to hijack, but I have that same Thirtyone bag! My wife was pissed when she saw it being used as a recovery dope bag.
LOL..My best friends wife go that for me and had the name of the jeep club I am in embroidered on it. I showed it off at meetings but it was a tad expensive for them to buy and resell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
Diver, like it. It should be a factory feature. Ur hatch is small understandably with that fuel system. My CJ has an Aero 33 gal monster. Drop in pump is separate from the sending unit. Takes more room. The boat hatch is clever.
Thanks, I agree, this should be a feature. Wish I could take credit for the idea but that is what this site is all about getting great ideas from others who have been there.
I was looking at a few other "doors" because I kinda goofed on my hole cut (too small and off center) so the deck plate is very tight and makes unscrewing the cover a PITA. I also don't like how the slots in the bed are, makes for a flush mounting impossible w/o adding fillers. Not sure it would be much better with rectangular hatches.

I can say it has come in handy already. Swapped in a new fuel pump a little over a month after doing it. Course I didn't need a new fuel pump at that time, was a whole different problem. Ah well I now have a spare in the garage.

Unread 02-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan View Post
Ive been considering a similar project for the Crankshaft Position Sensor on my Cherokee. Not that it goes bad often but a trail or highway replacement could be done real fast without jacking it up.
Nice job on the access.

Ron
While only had to do it once, I didn't jack my XJ up to change the CPS. Just did it lying under it in a parking lot.
Unread 02-09-2015, 06:53 AM   #13
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It would be my luck to have it die while on a mosquito infested trail in the woods.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.