Rattle Can Dash - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Rattle Can Dash

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #76
Squint77

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just some advice when painting your dash:
So I just wanted to make sure you guys are very careful when you are using spraypaint... I went and painted my whole dash black. I was very careful not to breath it in and did it outside. I still got some in my lungs and had a cough for about 3 months after. I finally went to the doctor and ended up having walking pnuemonia for 5 months or so. You should really wear a mask, especially when you use that Vinyl and fabric stuff that is recommended on here....
Also, make absolutely sure that you do not touch it for 24 hours after and it will not come off. I let some parts of the dash dry for about 4 hours but it still rubbed off/peeled a bit when I reinstalled. The parts that cured for 24 hours were tough as nails. Since mine was black, I just used a black sharpie pen to touch up

Squint77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #77
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Krylon fusion works perfect. However duplicolor has some stuff made specifically for Vinyl and plastic that looks better and last longer. Fusion is really easy to get ahold of and its cheaper though.

I don't know exactly how long the Krylon will last but you don't wann keep pulling out your dash and re shooting you know
sidescrollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 04:31 AM   #78
surfTJsnow
1999 WJ 

I did my soft top with the black Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint and it looks like new... lets see if it holds up.

doing my dash tomorrow. Will get pics up.
Unread 08-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #79
emayer32
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfTJsnow View Post
I did my soft top with the black Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint and it looks like new... lets see if it holds up.

doing my dash tomorrow. Will get pics up.
lets see the pics
emayer32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #80
Photog2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emayer32 View Post
lets see the pics
+1 Yea.....don't hold out on us.
Photog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #81
TheDragonfly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I took off a repainted my entire dash, center console, PRDN area, and doors with black krylon fusion for plastic. It turned out pretty well. I also put a krylon matte finish clear coat over it because the black was alittle too shiny for me. It has held up pretty good and its been about a year. Only scratches in a few places like where my keys bang against the dash but its easy touchup. I would have thought that the center console would chip first since im always resting my arm on there but i guess it takes a really sharp object to do any real damage to the paint. Oh yeah and I also had that problem when painting my grab handle where it would never dry. So skip painting that.
TheDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #82
xsf531
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Krylon fusion satin black..used to be tan

2003 TJ Sport
Facebook
"BIG BLACK's" BUILD THREAD
xsf531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #83
pjku79
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great guys. I have been contemplating what to do with mine. The prev owner painted the spice interior with grey because he wanted to match the black top. Now it is chipping off like crazy. I think this summer I am going to take it all a part to see how clean I can get it (back to spice). If that doesn't work at least I have a fall back plan now.
Unread 12-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #84
SinCityCJ
1986 CJ7 

I did my dash pad using Rustoleum Fabric and Vinyl paint and went from this

to this

My door panels I did using Krylon Metallic Aluminum and sprayed matte clear over them

Unread 12-21-2009, 11:31 PM   #85
gebskab
2004 WJ 

I'll be honest, when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought OMG how white trash can you get. Spray paint your dash? Serious?

I'm humbled to say, I was dead wrong. I can't believe the photos I've seen on this thread. Excellent finish job guys. I would have never thought to do something like that. When I was shopping for a Jeep, I don't know how many times I rejected a vehicle I saw simply because the dash on the vehicle sucked. Usually tan. If only I had know. Keep up the great photos.
gebskab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #86
jt94jeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

that looks awesome.
jt94jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 03:37 AM   #87
karlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCJ View Post
I did my dash pad using Rustoleum Fabric and Vinyl paint and went from this

to this

My door panels I did using Krylon Metallic Aluminum and sprayed matte clear over them

Good job! Like it. I want to try that next time.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #88
97jeepsport
1998 TJ Wrangler 

sincityCJ, could you post a pic or a link of what that rustoleum fabric and vinyl paint looks like?
97jeepsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #89
surfingopher
1998 TJ Wrangler 

how are you guys who are painting your whole dash painting the airbag cover? i couldnt figure out how to remove it and i also wasnt able figure out how to get the rest of the dash out from around it. i'd like to remove the whole dash but is it easier to just tape it off and paint it in place?
surfingopher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #90
gecko5
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The airbag cover is a real bugger to get off. You have to get right in there and remove two bolts that go left and right. If you get these off, you should be good to go. There just as hard to get back on when you are ready to re-install.
gecko5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.