Rattle Can Dash - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Rattle Can Dash

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 03-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #46
cjapgar

1994 YJ Wrangler 

just rattle canned the dash in my yj looks ok

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

Bacon is meat candy!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
cjapgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #47
TheWooginator

I am inspired by the great results...I really hate my tan interior and want to change to gray... I was wondering if anyone has painted the center console... curious how the paint holds up on such a high friction area
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #48
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Got all four wisdom teeth removed yesterday so I had to stay home all day. Spent most of the day painting dash parts. Finished up the tan and started adding green. I'll post pics later. Still haven't decided on what color for steering column and the main dash part (the upper one piece thing that goes all the way across). I have all the guage clusters and glove box/radio surrounds painted.
WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #49
Rigged

I painted my center console black because I didn't like the spice like you and it didn't really hold up that well. Granted I was somewhat rushed, I think if you take your time and do the prep work it will be ok. I had an issue with the cup holders scratching. Other than that it seems to look ok.

Did you say that you aren't using Krylon Fusion you are using some Duplicolor? Is it chip resistant at all?
Unread 03-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #50
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am using both Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric and Krylon Fusion Camo. The Duplicolor is supposed to be sort of a dye/paint and a little more flexible so hopefully it won't chip. The Krylon Fusion is going only on hard surface parts that really aren't gonna get too much abuse so I'm not worried about it. Like I said before, I'll get pictures up soon.
Unread 03-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #51
91legendary

For those who have painted the grab handle on the dash, HOW THE F DO YOU TAKE IT OFF??? I'm in the process of turning some tan stuff to black and I wanted to do the grab handle as well.
91legendary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #52
joeyrossmiller
1994 YJ Wrangler 

just a pointer for anyone paintin their dash... i did mine with the krylon fusion hammered texture. and it turned out like crap. dont get me wrong i mean im glad i have the idea to paint it but the hammered texture sucked. i thought it'd look pretty cool w/ that texture but it doesnt turn out like how i thought it would. i think im gonna go over it with flat black, kinda my theme for my jeep.
94 sahara, 4" rough country, 1 1/4" home made shackles all around, 33" trxus m/t, home made cai, hesco tbs, flowmaster super 40, no track or sway bars, 4.0 h/o, home made rocker guards, re-routed the trans vent
GIT R DID, GIT R DONE
joeyrossmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #53
91legendary

The flat black works very well. I have a tan dash and I painted the speaker covers, the door panels, and the defrost cover thing. It all looks pretty good up against the tan. I'm thinking about painting the console as well. Though I'm not too sure how the paint will hold up on the lid. (my elbow is like perminently attached to it while I'm driving.) I'm afraid It'll rub off. Although I have thought about painting everything but the lid and wraping the lid with some sort of vinyl or leather.
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #54
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

To get the grab handle off you remove the whole glove box. Undo either the two inner or outer screws where the glove box hinges and then the black trim screws that you can see above and it should pop off. I'll look at mine tomorrow to double check for you.
Unread 03-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #55
Squint77

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91legendary View Post
For those who have painted the grab handle on the dash, HOW THE F DO YOU TAKE IT OFF??? I'm in the process of turning some tan stuff to black and I wanted to do the grab handle as well.

In my 05, I took out the glove box, then removed the two screws that are side my side below the grab handles (they were originally hidden by the glove box). There are two nuts that are directly behind the grab handle on each side. I think it is an 8 or 10 mm- A ratchet works just fine. Then the whole thing comes off.

I painted my interior gloss black with the duplicolor a week ago and it looks great, but there was one spot on the dash that started dripping and after it dried, pealed of surprisingly easy. I am going to attempt to sand and paint again in that one tiny spot. If you are going to attempt doing the entire dash, do what I did- Take off every piece and paint them separately and then spray everything in place that will not come out. I just used masking tape and plastic grocery bags and did not get any paint where I did not want it. Very easy. Getting the insides of the doors off were the hardest. Do yourself a favor and get a $3 tool for removing the window rollers.
Squint77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #56
91legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squint77 View Post
In my 05, I took out the glove box, then removed the two screws that are side my side below the grab handles (they were originally hidden by the glove box). There are two nuts that are directly behind the grab handle on each side. I think it is an 8 or 10 mm- A ratchet works just fine. Then the whole thing comes off.

I painted my interior gloss black with the duplicolor a week ago and it looks great, but there was one spot on the dash that started dripping and after it dried, pealed of surprisingly easy. I am going to attempt to sand and paint again in that one tiny spot. If you are going to attempt doing the entire dash, do what I did- Take off every piece and paint them separately and then spray everything in place that will not come out. I just used masking tape and plastic grocery bags and did not get any paint where I did not want it. Very easy. Getting the insides of the doors off were the hardest. Do yourself a favor and get a $3 tool for removing the window rollers.
I painted the door panels, the speaker covers, and the defrost cover piece. The entire dash will gradually be turning black over the next few months though. The doors were definitely the hardest to remove. Luckily we already had the window crank removal tool. It took a few minutes, but once I figured out what kind of clip was holding it in, I popped it right off.
Unread 03-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #57
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

i used the duplicolor fabric and vinyl paint on my back seat. started out tan, ended up black. turned out great, looks like a brand new seat.
Unread 03-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #58
04RedTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just did mine last weekend. I am happy with the way it turned out. Now just have to get everything else done inside.

04RedTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #59
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the late reply. I went and looked at my glove box in the back seat and saw the four nuts (two on each side) they look like either 5/16th or 8mm. Not sure which. There not super tight to get to in a YJ and spin right off. So those four, the (i believe) outer two right above the hinge for the lid, and then the four or five regular little black trim screws above, and your glove box should come out.
I also took the opportunity to remove my old in dash speakers, they weren't hooked up and I'm not even sure if they work.
Unread 03-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #60
Cole99
1997 TJ Wrangler 

After seeing what thedon986 did with the interior of his jeep, I decided to do something similar. Here's the end result.

I used Krylon Fusion Camo, Olive Green.

My 97 Build/Modification Thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/modifications-97-sport-pic-heavy-678029/
Cole99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.