Rattle Can Dash - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Rattle Can Dash

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-31-2009, 06:43 PM   #16
Cole99
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernss View Post
are you planning on painting them in place or taking them out? i thought that the airbag/cover was reveted in?
Well, I'm going to see if I can remove the grab handle, but the airbag cover is going to be painted in place.

I tried to remove the cover the first time around, but when I started sweating trying to remove it, with no reward, I thought about getting popped in the face with the airbag at a distance of about 4 inches, and stopped. lol

My 97 Build/Modification Thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/modifications-97-sport-pic-heavy-678029/
Cole99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2009, 06:22 AM   #17
540i
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I used the Duplicolor on the steering wheel and it hasn't rubbed off yet, going to try it on some softdoors I have once it gets warm enough out.
540i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 05:19 AM   #18
04RedTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I am planning on the same with the dash panel and all. But have wonder how the door skins hold up to the paint.
04RedTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #19
Cole99
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The doors are holding up better then I would of thought, especially with all the abuse I've given them; i.e. banging into trees, pool cue case slamming against them, 20lb propane tank hitting them, my knives rubbing them, dumb passengers, etc.

It's supposed to be warm tomorrow, and I have nothing to do, so I'm gonna pick up another can or two, and apply at least 2 more coats to the doors, and try to do my passenger grab handle.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678029
Unread 02-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #20
540i
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've done my soft doors, haven't put them on yet but they came out great, going from light grey to black. Took about a whole can to do both doors 2 good coats, I need to get another can to finish up a couple of spots I've found that I missed. Once I get back from vacation I'll probably put them on and see how it wears.
540i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #21
karlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540i View Post
I used the Duplicolor on the steering wheel and it hasn't rubbed off yet, going to try it on some softdoors I have once it gets warm enough out.
Sounds interesting. I thought Duplicolor is not a good option because many people I know don't prefer that brand.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #22
thedon986
2000 TJ Wrangler 

watch out if youre using krylon fusion on the grab handle. i painted my interior with flat black and the grab handle will not dry. everything else dried fine and looks great but for some reason it just will not dry...that was over a month ago too
thedon986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #23
badoosh27
2001 TJ Wrangler 

is there a possibility there was some armor all on it? that crap is hard to get off, dumb me armor-alled my gear shifter once, kept slippin off and busting my knuckles.

Yall need to post more pics. I want to throw more money that I dont have at my jeep, so inspire me

[url]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634280[/url]
badoosh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #24
Cole99
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Copied and Pasted from my other thread:

Today, like most Tuesdays, I had nothing to do. The weather was beautiful, I was feeling lazy, so I decided to repaint my doors. Again. Really it was just a touch up, as the first time I painted them, I only put 2 coats on, and there were some scratch marks.

Passenger Side Before

Passenger Side After

Driver Side Before

Driver Side After

Not bad for exactly 1 month of being used and abused.

While making lunch, and letting the doors dry, I decided since I already had the paint out, the paper laid around and my hands dirty, I might as well paint the bezels around my headlights.

I also decided to paint the light guards that the previous owner installed over the headlights, and parking lights.

For the bezels and light guards, I used Krylon Fusion Camouflage Black.
For the door panels, I used Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Black.

Unread 02-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #25
karlo

Great work!

I'm planning to do the same thing. Thanks for the ideas.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #26
Cole99
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thank ya. That was the purpose of this thread, to inspire others to make their Jeep their own, and to show how easy it is.

Unread 02-22-2009, 12:28 AM   #27
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My Dash

My dash is pretty faded and I redid my door panels with olive drab fabric and tan duplicolor vinyl and fabric so I wanted to tie it all together with the dash. I took all the removable parts off and prepped them with windex (amonia based) and sprayed what I had left. I will be on my way to Advanced hopefully tomorrow to get another can to finish up the pieces I started and do the dash/steering column. What do you guys think of an accent type color somewhere? I am hoping to be able to mask off the bezels and paint them flat black once it dries but what about doing the column black or olive drab?
I'll get pics up soon. Shutterfly is acting up.
WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask

Last edited by green89yj; 02-22-2009 at 06:36 AM..
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #28
joshwoods
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Use The Dupli Color Fabric And Vynal It Works The Best Put Two Coats And It Won't Wear Off Ever. It Is A Cool Product I Painted The Enire Interior Of A Old Camaro I Used To Have.
joshwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #29
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole99 View Post
Here's how the spray painting of the interior went. Not 100% done, yet.

Looks really nice. It will look even better if you will take a couple of stips of black electrical tape and cover your data plate. You'll still be able to pull the tape and get numbers if you like, but that white plate looks like crap with the doors off. Here's mine just for seeing the data plate covered. The new paint job is going to happen this week if I can get some warm weather to help me out....

After seeing how good yours looks, I'm not going to use the Fusion. I believe I'll go with the Duplicolor. Thanks for posting.
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #30
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchintheTrail View Post
do they make it in yellow can you do a full write up? would like to do only the center console of my jeep yellow
When I did my sport cage I also painted the center dash. Just sanded it good and sprayed it. The rustoleum yellow (sunburst yellow or something like that) is a close match to the solar yellow from the factory. They make 2 different yellows make sure you get the correct one. I use the pro stuff in the tall cans, but I think it's all the same.

I did this 2 years ago and nary a scratch. I wish I would have color sanded it and clear coated it though. I also used this same paint for my short corners. You can see what a close match it is here.

Love the rustoleum. Very high quality cheap paint. You can color sand it and polish it to a high gloss as well. Only thing I don't like about it is the drying time. Takes a long time to cure.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.