problems with reverse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > problems with reverse

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
jeeperjeep

problems with reverse

i just bought a 1997 jeep grand cherokee laredo TSI it has the 5.2 engine. it was reposessed so i dont have to much information on the truck other than i have a problem with going in reverse and drive, i did some looking and found that it is a Quadtrac so it is in 4 wheel all time with 4lo setting but my problem is that when i put it in reverse it seems to have a hard time reversing, and then when i try to turn and reverse i have to mash on the pedal and i can hear some kind of grinding noise. another problem is that the acceleration is terrible and seems to have a hard time shifting. the only modification i can see done to it is new suspension system with 3 inch pucks any suggestions?

jeeperjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
LastDetail
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your clutch is toast to me. Are you sure you are pressing the pedal all the way to the floor before engaging R or other gears? Also it wouldn't hurt to check your tranny fluid levels.
LastDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
87 JEEP YJ

As grand Cherokee were never offered from the factory with a manual trans and the 5.2l V8 the clutch pedal could not be the issue. I would start to check the fluid level of the automatic trans

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.