No TC Skid Plate Can I Drive it - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > No TC Skid Plate Can I Drive it

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Corbie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

No TC Skid Plate Can I Drive it

Here is some back story:

I have a '97 TJ with a 4" lift and 33's, it has some frame rot. I have a handle on getting that fixed. My problem is this.

My belly skid plate will not mount back to the frame, I have theTC supported with a jack stand for now. I need to move my Jeep, is there a very cheap way to support the TC to move the jeep 5 miles to my buddies shop.

Thanks for your help.
Corbie

Corbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd say you best find someone with a car trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Remove both drive shafts. Tie the t-case to the frame with some ratchet straps and slowly tow the Jeep for 5 miles.

Just a wild thought. Feel free to poo poo the idea.
Unread 11-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Corbie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Will the tear up the engine mounts since all the weight is supported by them now, and it is not exactly balanced.
Unread 11-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbie View Post
Will the tear up the engine mounts since all the weight is supported by them now, and it is not exactly balanced.
I would think it could easily damage them, as the rachets wouldn't prevent side to side movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
I would think it could easily damage them, as the rachets wouldn't prevent side to side movement.
The t-case will swing just the same on a trailer as it will rolling on the street unless it is supported.

Add a couple straps that wrap around the transfer case to prevent side to side swinging. With enough care and cleverness, it shouldn't be too difficult to recreate the approximate ride height of the transfer case and keep it steady enough for 5 miles of slow towing. The motor mounts would not be carrying any more weight than they normally do.

As far as changing the angle of the engine on the mounts (to anticipate a question), we do the same thing everyday with MML and t-case drops. There is a range of flexibility and we are only talking about 5 miles.
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

we have used heavy duty ratchet straps to drive a jeep out and back to town with them holding for a broken lower control arm. the guy said it drove great all the way back to get it fixed.
Unread 11-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
mattman998
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If you can mount the skid to the transfer case you might be able to better control the whole thing. Can you get those bolts in? Can you get ANY of the skid bolts back into the frame?

If you can attach the skid to the tcase you might be able to clamp the skid against the frame.
mattman998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hook a strap over the frame, under the skid and over the frame on the other side. Do this front and back of the transfer skid. Then secure the skid, front and back with two more straps. Try to get at least one bolt in each side to hold the skid in place.
Unread 11-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
bluecherokee01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
I'd say you best find someone with a car trailer.
I agree this is the best way.
bluecherokee01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.