Need help with my new wrangler!!!!!! Please read - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Need help with my new wrangler!!!!!! Please read

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Reply
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Suffolkjeep
Registered User
2003 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Babylon, Ny
Posts: 2
Need help with my new wrangler!!!!!! Please read

I live on Long Island and just went through hurricane sandy. My next door neighbor is 85 years old and sold me his 2003 wrangler with 35k miles for $100.00 no joke. Only catch is it had saltwater up to just below the gas cap. I towed it up to the mechanic, he drained the fluids and changed the starter and its running like a champ. I know people are junking their flooded cars but I got this thing for sooooo cheap. If I have To I will replace the interior seats etc. what other things can I do to preserve this deal.

No water in the engine, air box etc

Suffolkjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
imfrompa
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 43
To reduce the smell factor... Take the carpet out... And lineX the interior floor.
imfrompa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
ltrail
Registered User
1984 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,465
If I could find deals like that id send a truck out there and bring back 10 jeeps!

If it was properly cleaned up you got one heck of a deal!
__________________
84 xj 350tbi, sm465, 203/205, 60/70. links and other junk.
what size sawzall blades does it take to fit 40's?
ltrail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Griff1918
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,624
What what you paid for it run it till it blows up
Griff1918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
relgnarw
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Akron Ohio
Posts: 635
If you want to double your money let me know.
__________________
"I had wobster at Wed Wobster" - Austin age 5

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
rossd14
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Holland Michigan, MI
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff1918 View Post
What what you paid for it run it till it blows up
then fix it again!
__________________
Parting out: (12) XJ's. (4) TJ's // For Sale: 01 Yellow TJ //
2000 Cherokee Sport Black // 1998 TJ Project
32 Jeeps since 11/12...and counting!
rossd14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
lolo75racing
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 58
Try to wash it with fresh water ! Salt water is terrible and am sure some time in the near future you will start having rust issue if you don't act fast. If that was my jeep I would go wheeling and submerge the thing in fresh water for a while. Later I would take a can of some type of lube like corrosion X and go crazy spraying everything underneath . Just cause you paid 100 bucks doesn't mean you should let rust take over. Good luck
lolo75racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
jonelby
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Mountains of Atlantic City, NJ
Posts: 19
Don't put too many miles on it before changing fluids again. Perhaps 5 miles. Ask me how I know. I'm in Atlantic City NJ. I found small fish on my floor when the tide went down! Seriously, I changed all the fluids before even starting my YJ, drove around and found that the oil in the transmission turned into what looked like a milk shake. I was horrified. The diffs looked fine, but saltwater entered the tranny via the seal where the shift lever goes in. I ******d the tranny with acetone, and marvel misery oil. Thats all I had at the time. Everything was closed in a state of mandated evac that i defied. Then drove a few miles and changed it again. And again. Good luck. Everyone within 5 blocks of me have new cars now. Lots of excellent deals on flood cars. Lots of money being made here on cars. I personally won't buy a used car unless I know it's exact history. These flood cars are being cleaned up and shipped out all over. With clear titles too not salvage or flood titles. Big loop hole found in FEMA grants and insurance companies don't care. Buyer beware
jonelby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #9
waltrv8
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gold Hill, Or
Posts: 1
Good for you! Just a heads up probably the wires in the engine compartment will corrode first. You might be able to slow it down with some CorrosionX or ACF50. Regardless you will want to treat any area that was submerged in salt water. Especially copper. Both of these products are non-conductive, you can spay them directly on a circuit boards & wire connectors with no problems form the product.
waltrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
longislandxj
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mastic beach, Ny
Posts: 122
Can u post some pics of the jeep?
longislandxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
kerrffc
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonelby
Don't put too many miles on it before changing fluids again. Perhaps 5 miles. Ask me how I know. I'm in Atlantic City NJ. I found small fish on my floor when the tide went down! Seriously, I changed all the fluids before even starting my YJ, drove around and found that the oil in the transmission turned into what looked like a milk shake. I was horrified. The diffs looked fine, but saltwater entered the tranny via the seal where the shift lever goes in. I ******d the tranny with acetone, and marvel misery oil. Thats all I had at the time. Everything was closed in a state of mandated evac that i defied. Then drove a few miles and changed it again. And again. Good luck. Everyone within 5 blocks of me have new cars now. Lots of excellent deals on flood cars. Lots of money being made here on cars. I personally won't buy a used car unless I know it's exact history. These flood cars are being cleaned up and shipped out all over. With clear titles too not salvage or flood titles. Big loop hole found in FEMA grants and insurance companies don't care. Buyer beware
I handle catastrophes for an insurance company and I promise you they care. I oversaw a large portion of my company's total loss operation for Sandy. It is illegal to sell a saltwater flood vehicle to another individual and all titles that are obtained as a result of an insurance claim will be branded as flood. FEMA nor any insurance carrier has the ability to not brand titles. It is a mandatory requirement established by the state dept. of insurance.

The loophole with FEMA you refer to is emergency funding to families or individuals who then simply clean the car and sell it. Its misappropriation of funds. They don't report that it was ever damaged. I will tell you know I can spot a flood car a mile away and still see Katrina vehicles driving around because of this. It boils down to the moral compass and integrity of the vehicle owner and their ability to sleep at night knowing they illegally sold someone a flood vehicle under false pretense.

In the case of OP, there was full disclosure it was a flood, so I don't see much of an issue as long as he doesn't resell it without disclosing it had been flooded.
kerrffc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #12
kerrffc
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolkjeep
I live on Long Island and just went through hurricane sandy. My next door neighbor is 85 years old and sold me his 2003 wrangler with 35k miles for $100.00 no joke. Only catch is it had saltwater up to just below the gas cap. I towed it up to the mechanic, he drained the fluids and changed the starter and its running like a champ. I know people are junking their flooded cars but I got this thing for sooooo cheap. If I have To I will replace the interior seats etc. what other things can I do to preserve this deal.

No water in the engine, air box etc
You want to go ahead and replace the wiring harness. Its a bit pricey, but Electrical will be your first problem. It's not a matter of if, but when with this type of damage. Salt water corrodes the linings and wires and connections very easily. And make sure the entire engine and undercarriage and thoroughly washed. I recommend driving into a river with moving water.

For that price though, I'd live with the added headache of getting it clean and doing preventative repairs. Congrats on the new ride!
kerrffc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
jonelby
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Mountains of Atlantic City, NJ
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrffc

I handle catastrophes for an insurance company and I promise you they care. I oversaw a large portion of my company's total loss operation for Sandy. It is illegal to sell a saltwater flood vehicle to another individual and all titles that are obtained as a result of an insurance claim will be branded as flood. FEMA nor any insurance carrier has the ability to not brand titles. It is a mandatory requirement established by the state dept. of insurance.

The loophole with FEMA you refer to is emergency funding to families or individuals who then simply clean the car and sell it. Its misappropriation of funds. They don't report that it was ever damaged. I will tell you know I can spot a flood car a mile away and still see Katrina vehicles driving around because of this. It boils down to the moral compass and integrity of the vehicle owner and their ability to sleep at night knowing they illegally sold someone a flood vehicle under false pretense.

In the case of OP, there was full disclosure it was a flood, so I don't see much of an issue as long as he doesn't resell it without disclosing it had been flooded.
I agree to some of what you say. Perhaps I should correct myself and say "many cars flooded here are being sold without disclosure".

I understand that the insurance companies are required to brand titles as "flood" and do so. The FEMA loophole is that individuals are issued grants to "repair or replace" without notice to brand or surrender the clean title(s). No explanation of title alteration or disclosure is ever discussed.

I believe that insurance companies may care, but only about their own bottom lines. They exist to protect their shareholders. -
jonelby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.