I posted this under the TJ forum, but maybe it could help others looking for some cheap flares.
Here is the link to the original post: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/pr...lares-1116343/
Well like most people, I don't have the cash for flat fenders or flat flares. I like the look, but I also like being a little creative. I know this isn't a new idea, but I figured I would try to document my little project to hopefully help others.
What you need:
-Extended flares (6" or 7"). I have seen them for 150-200 bucks, got mine used for $80 on Craigslist. This can also be done on factory flares but I wanted to have the tire coverage for a variety of reasons.
-Pencil or wax pencil (recommended)
-Jig saw with fine tooth blade (recommended)
-Ruler or tape measure (recommended)
-Straight edge for drawing long/straight lines (recommended)
-Masking tape (optional)
-Utility knife with new/sharp blade (optional)
-Sand paper or sander (optional)
-Cardboard for making a template (optional)
Here are some pictures of my flares before I got started.
So next I used a ruler, straight edge and a wax pencil to mark out my general cut marks. Since I have a sweet, old Trail Ready bumper, I wanted to incorporate the angles of the bumper into the flares. You can also use masking tape to mark your cut edge, masking tape is repositionable so you can rework your projected cut marks easily. I ended up cutting off about 2 inches up from the bottom of the flare.
After finalizing my cut line, I used my jig saw to make my initial cuts. I have seen some people use a razor blade and make several light cut mark until you get through the flare. I thought the jig saw was better for me. It is up to you of course.
I took some measurements and picked an angle to clean up each end of the flares and made those cuts to my liking. I actually create a little template out of some cardboard and transcribed the angles onto the flares so they were all equal. On the last picture you can see the front flare cut to match the angle of the front bumper.
My final step was to use the attachment on my Black & Decker mouse sander to take of the sharpness of the flare edge. You can do this with a file or a sanding block but the sander made the job quick and easy and helped to straighten out any waviness in my cut line. Here is the final job. I am currently trying to figure out a solution for the side marker. For now, I have taken the right one and put it on the left side (and vise versa) and attached them under the flare with some industrial strength velcro. Seems to be working so far, I may switch them back to the correct side or make a little bracket or something.
Total time about 2 hours from start to clean up. I was patient because I am anal, so I wanted to do the cleanest job possible.
Hopefully this helps someone out, let me know what you think!