MPG tips - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > MPG tips

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 05-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #46
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse12801
Can a 2007 GC AWD laredo run on 93 octane or is it only geared for 87??Where does the seafoam go?In the tank?
Yes, with a full tank. You can also put it in your oil before OCI

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #47
vizro
1997 TJ Wrangler 

all great points notes taken
vizro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #48
jesse12801

Quote:
Yes, with a full tank. You can also put it in your oil before OCI

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
and Thanks for the info.
jesse12801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #49
scotp71
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not saying I wouldn't try a few of these tips to save a mpg or two, but in the end I agree with what a couple people on here have already said: It's a Jeep and mpg sucks. End of story.
scotp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #50
crunchie
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Removing my front driveshaft to fix the "angry sparrows" problem on my TJ bought me a little more than 1 mpg. Obviously this makes your rig a 2WD, but if you're using it as a daily driver, you'll get some coin back if you do this between off-road excursions. Switching to straight 87 also did about 1.1 mpg better. We've got cheap 87 (with 10% ethanol) in Iowa and straight 87 (no ethanol). Last tank I ran 17.7 mpg (mixed city and highway, commuting) with my 2006 Rubicon. First time I've beat the EPA highway rating!

Having locking hubs would eliminate the need to remove the driveshaft for savings, but the last time I priced those out for my front D44 they were in about the $1500-$2000 territory
Unread 10-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #51
holysirsalad
1999 XJ Cherokee 

- synthetic diff lube
- get rid of those seized bearings
- make sure brakes don't drag
- take a poo before driving
holysirsalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #52
Stinkbug

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Only drive south. Its always down hill on every globe I have ever seen. That should be good for an extra 5-7mpg.
Stinkbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #53
Indy

Not if youre leaving the north pole, its uphill half way.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #54
PReinie
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I recall something I read back in the '80s or '90s that drag, or was it power needed, increased by the cube of the speed. I looked around for drag vrs velocity today and it at Wikipedia (note that air is considered a fluid in physics) "Note that the power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW). With a doubling of speed the drag (force) quadruples per the formula. Exerting four times the force over a fixed distance produces four times as much work. At twice the speed the work (resulting in displacement over a fixed distance) is done twice as fast. Since power is the rate of doing work, four times the work done in half the time requires eight times the power. It's important to value the rolling resistance in relation to the drag force." (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_%28physics%29 if you're interested.)

Essentially, slow down, but not too slow. Obviously, if you're idling, you're getting zero miles to the gallon so there is a better speed to get the best MPG. This is partially because overall the engine doesn't work as efficiently if you go too slow and with the aerodynamics of the cars back then (I forget when I read it) that the best speed is around 45mph. I haven't tested any speed/mpg as most of my driving isn't where I can maintain a speed.

The '89 Cherokee (not grand) does at best 16mpg. The J2K grand cherokee did around 20+ at 60-80mph with AC on and 87 octane 10%ethanol, Chicago to Munising MI. (I love driving with the windows open, but listening to stories on the radio/CD/MP3 is better with them closed.)
PReinie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.