MPG tips - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > MPG tips

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
RagBag
2000 XJ Cherokee 

fill your tires with helium and keep it under 80.

Unread 01-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #17
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite91 View Post
I take no responsibily for f'ed up rigs from my instructions. I have never done this on new new rigs, but it works on carbed, direct injection, and throttle body injected rigs that i have owned.
For the most part the ideas are the same.

Many engine manufacturers advise AGAINST engine flush/cleaners like sea foam in newer engines. Something to keep in mind if you have a new JK or such.

Ideal RPM and speed for cruising will vary. I get pretty good gas mileage if I maintain 70 on the highway, but it starts to drop quickly if I push past.

Proper maintenance goes a long way. I see too many who want to screw with their air filter or use a different oil to try and get more performance, which never works in a fully electronic controlled engine.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
um7267
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagBag View Post
fill your tires with helium and keep it under 80.
not sure if serious
to the good times and the bad, the family we have and lost, little brother 1988-2011
um7267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #19
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Buy small tires and over inflate them 5 lbs.
Use a lighter oil.
Full under body skid reducing wind drag

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #20
blakeg38135
2006 LJ Wrangler 

grill inserts help with airflow alittle. i have a 2005 LJ an i could only ever get 14 to 15 gal in the tank so i droped it took out the sending unit reach inside with a knife an cut the hose as high as u can and now i can fit about 17 to 18 gals because they come with a 19 gal tank but other models came with the 15 so dodge wanted to be cheap by not buy to diff kind of filler hoses so they put a 15 gal filler hose in both when that happens you run into the problem when ur filling the tank when almost full the air pocket builds pressure an sprays gas all over ur feet and ur paint. a buddy saw a pretty good increase with a tummytucker like 2% but he saw a big increase when he went from the one hole fuel injectors to the four hole injectors from the junk yard for 40 dollars. diff doing that this weekend super easy plug right in but we did have to clean them and reset the computer by unpluging the battery an hold ur brake pedal. we know it changed the power curve alittle but dont know in witch way yet.
blakeg38135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #21
Indy

Mount a tow bar, sneak up on a truck that's going the same direction....

Other than that just expect mpg to be poor and add up the costs of improvement vs gas. When I was young and dumb I spent more on mods to improve mpg than I saved in gas before I sold the jeep.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #22
04Xrook

I have an 04 tj, when I accelerate from stop, I shift 1, 3, 5. As much as possible. And on highway try to keep it around 60. For my 4.0 and 5spd that's around 1700.

Narrower tires=less contact patch w road=less resistance.
04Xrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #23
RCB

Speed, speed, speed.

I can't agree more. Driving under 60, preferably around 55, my TJ gets about 24mpg (4.0, 5spd, 24 if I'm alone, 23 if the wife and kids are with me). At 65 mph on the interstate my mpg drops to 20-21. Of course around town I get 19-20. These are just blocky vehicles. Slower speed helps a lot, both in wind resistance and rpm range. I was really surprised as to the difference and only noticed it when my company moved another 15 miles away, forcing me to take highways to work.

Things like open windows (or tops down) can really change gas mileage. On the interstate in the summer I've found that windows open is close to the same mileage loss for A/C. But then there's the fun factor. I've really not ran around much with the top off, at least on the interstate, so no useful mileage figures.
RCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #24
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I had Seafoam bring me up from about 11mpg to 15. Sounds unbelievable, but I guess I had a sensor or something gunked up (IAC maybe?). I was getting about 9, even driving politely. Changed the plugs, rotor, wires (rotor was ugly, and had mud in it) and cleaned the air filter, and I went to about 11mpg. Dumped a half can of Seafoam in 3/4 of a tank of gas, and ran the other half through the intake (vac hose) and throttle body (pulled the breather hose, just dumped it down the TB). After all the smoke cleared, idle was much smoother, exhaust smelled less rich, and my mpg the next week was up to 15.4.

I'm not much on magic in a can, but it was running like crap before, and it cleaned it up. It's stayed in the 15 range for a while now.
XJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #25
Adwex
1998 ZJ 

I have a 5.9 Grand Cherokee that costs me $60-$80/week of 92 octane, so I'm obsessed with saving mpg. After years of watching the DTE (distance to empty) display as I drive, here are my observations:

-The mpg vs. speed curve has a maximum that peaks somewhere in the range of around 50-65mph. Any more and rpm and wind resistance gets you. Any less, and your simply getting less "miles" in your "miles per gallon". The math goes either way, less miles, or more gallons = less mpg, so going slow isn't the answer.

- Steady cruising in the the speed range mentioned above is best. Accelerating reduces mpg, so minimize it. In stop and go traffic, you don't always have to be right up the *** of the guy in front of you. Screw the guy in back of you when he complains.

- Every time you use the brakes you wasted gas. You don't waste it while your pressing the brake, you wasted it before you hit the brake. Obviously, you need to slow down or stop, but I always try to anticipate a slow down I see coming by letting off the gas. Brakes convert your (useful) kinetic energy of motion into (useless) heat. So, slowing down by taking your foot off the gas long before you get to that red light instead of braking as you approach it, will save gas.
Adwex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #26
crunchie
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Lots of good points here. Someone mentioned earlier something about these being blocky vehicles, and let's be honest, trying to hypermile one of these is like trying to wax the dents out of an old beat up truck.

Sure, do the regular maintenance and what's reasonable to get what fuel economy the Jeep has to give, but we should have all expected it to be relatively bad when we bought our Jeeps anyway. One of the extra costs to be a part of Club Jeep I suppose... just like that sixth quart of oil every oil change.

Here's a quick cost analysis, and why small percentage fuel mileage gains are negligible in my opinion. Let's say you realize a 3% fuel economy improvement by changing something to improve fuel economy. That's roughly 8 miles more on a tank if you're filling up around 250 miles like I do. So then you have to ask yourself what amount of hassle and stress you're willing to put up with for small gains like this. Changes in the weather will cost/benefit you more than that. But now you could feel better about buying that extra 20 oz Mountain Dew this week (sorry New Yorkers). But then you increase your chances of having higher medical bills due to early onset diabetes from drinking more Mountain Dew Oh life.

Let's enjoy our Jeeps for what they're made for and let fuel mileage fall where it may while being reasonable. For God's sake walk more if you don't want to spend money on gas, thereby lowering your future medical bills and making you more attractive to chicks! I'm sure we'd all be ok with lowering our fuel mileage by 3% to have a hotty sitting in that passenger seat.
Unread 02-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #27
petegall79
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchie View Post
Let's enjoy our Jeeps for what they're made for and let fuel mileage fall where it may while being reasonable. For God's sake walk more if you don't want to spend money on gas, thereby lowering your future medical bills and making you more attractive to chicks! I'm sure we'd all be ok with lowering our fuel mileage by 3% to have a hotty sitting in that passenger seat.
That's actually touching on something we never think about - the extra 20, 30, 100 lbs we shove into jeans and shirts factors into the power-to-weight ratio department. good news is more walking drops that so there's the trickle-down effect, too. but then again making up for that loss with a hottie passenger just cancels that one out

but maybe our rigs are too heavy, making the difference negligible.

And don't forget a proper alignment... those of us with lifts know it's more than just the toe in/out that could rob us of the extra few percentage points, too. Wheels which spin on a radius even slightly askew to their direction of travel effectively drag their rubber a bit, which means lost efficiency. although I wonder if the uneven wear raises the temps enough to soften the rubber thereby increasing rolling resistance.

speaking of which, resistance is NOT futile, it's actually voltage divided by current.
petegall79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #28
markcap
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry, this thread cracks me up...you are driving a straight 6 292ci Jeep. Fuel economy is horrible no matter how you drive. I can't beat 15mpg with typical grocery getting type driving. Think I saw 19mpg on a long trip. A straight six is not a fuel efficient motor. It ought to have been designed a diesel.
markcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #29
petegall79
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcap View Post
Sorry, this thread cracks me up...you are driving a straight 6 292ci Jeep. Fuel economy is horrible no matter how you drive. I can't beat 15mpg with typical grocery getting type driving. Think I saw 19mpg on a long trip. A straight six is not a fuel efficient motor. It ought to have been designed a diesel.
It's also nuts how we all get vastly differently mileages. for instance, I get 18 mpg mixed running 33's *without* regearing, but you're getting 15 with what I think is stock (unless your profile hasn't been updated).

But yeah, it's all hypocrisy in the end; the goal is just to be more responsible with the gas usage but we all knowingly bought these things!
petegall79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #30
Adwex
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcap View Post
I'm not cracking up, I drive a V8 360ci Jeep, and I average 12.8 mpg, and I have to use 92 octane that costs well over $4/gallon.
Adwex is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.