MPG tips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > MPG tips

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 10-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Chace365
1999 XJ Cherokee 

MPG tips

This is a bit of a grab bag of info. These are general tips for MPG, and things I've noticed that give me better gas mileage. Things I do have a plus sign for the bullets.

+ Keep the RPM around or below 2200. Slow acceleration is a huge factor for getting better gas mileage.

+ Half a can of Seafoam in the gas tank (with a full tank) and half in the intake manifold. I've gained 1.4 MPG by doing this.

+ Keep the speed 55 and below if you can help it. I've found that going faster than that frequently increases fuel consumption.

+ Use cruise control when the conditions are conducive to using it. This cuts down on RPM spikes when accelerating.

+ Don't idle. If you don't have to sit and idle, don't do it. It's just money that goes down the drain and idling obviously won't get you anywhere.

- Don't carry around excessive weight. The gas mileage tips page on http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/drivehabits.shtml shows that 100 pounds of extra weight can reduce MPG up to 2%.

- Air pressure in your tires should be kept to what the manufacturer recommends. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/maintain.shtml states that tires under-inflated by 1 pound can cause a .3% drop in MPG. Properly inflated tires are also safer and last longer, saving you even more money in the long run.

- Use the right type of oil. Using 10w-30 in a vehicle that recommends 5w-30 can reduce MPG by 1-2%.

+ Clean air filters. A clean air filter (I change mine every time I do an oil change) will help with MPG. When mine's dirty, I've noticed a decrease of about 3/4 of a mile per gallon.

- Use overdrive gears (if your vehicle is equipped with such). Using OD reduces engine speed and also reduces engine wear.

- An obvious tip is to never drive more than is necessary. With the cost of fuel going nowhere but up, it's costly to take the long route to your destination, and even just taking that leisurely Sunday afternoon drive costs more money than it's worth. If you're driving to an unfamiliar location with the aid of a GPS, there's usually settings that can be changed to give you the shortest route (by distance) or fastest route (by speed) to your destination. Both of these, and your knowledge of the conditions on those routes can help with fuel consumption as well.

- When driving a lifted truck/ Jeep, making sure your rear axle has the right gearing can help gas mileage, too. Too low of gearing will require more acceleration in order to get up to speed. Higher RPM's = less miles to the gallon.

Hope this helps you get the most out of your gas mileage.

Unread 12-16-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
vizro
1997 TJ Wrangler 

good write up thanks
vizro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm.. Some of these points go hand in hand with what i was trying to say when people say to shift around 2500 to keep in the 4.0's sweet spot..
Unread 12-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
cr4zyfkr

Speaking of MPG...now that refineries are / have switched to the winter blend, I've noticed my '10 GC 3.7L runs like crap and is severely underpowered and gets terrible MPG on 87. Yesterday I threw $20 worth of 91 octane (CA max at the pump) in it, reset the MPG calculator and gained 4 MPG and now I get a whopping 14.6

Why oh why did we buy a full-time 4x4 in southern California is beyond me.
cr4zyfkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
karlo

Great tips. I think one of the most effective methods is to be gentle on the gas and brake pedals.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
xXchevyXx
2004 WJ 

Seafoam in the manifold? How do u apply that?
xXchevyXx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
frostbite91

In order to apply seafoam in the manifold, the way i always do it is start the engine, and remove the vac line from the brake booster(its a bigger line) and then start pouring seafoam in it. The rpm will raise a little, dont worry. If you are not quick after disconnecting the line, the vehicle could die. So if need be, plug the hose w/ your thumb until you are ready to pour in the seafoam.
frostbite91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
frostbite91

Just to add, you WILL blow out a crap ton of smoke, so dont do this in your garage. After your seafoam is empty, rev up to about 1500 for a lil bit to get the smoke to calm down. Then drive it around the block a few times(dont forget to plug your brake booster back in)
Unread 12-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
frostbite91

I take no responsibily for f'ed up rigs from my instructions. I have never done this on new new rigs, but it works on carbed, direct injection, and throttle body injected rigs that i have owned.
Unread 12-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
xXchevyXx
2004 WJ 

Hmm. I might try tht when it's not so f'n cold out. Thnx!
xXchevyXx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
mKosel
1999 WJ 

drive like a grandma, thats what i do!
Unread 12-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
bobjenkins

2% for every 100 lbs extra? Hmm I carry like 150 lbs of crap I wonder if it is more than 3%. Im thinking of going from 33s to 31s just to help with braking. Ive had a few close calls with not being able to stop. I wonder how much the smaller tires would help.
bobjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
JKolbfleisch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chace365 View Post
+ Half a can of Seafoam in the gas tank (with a full tank) and half in the intake manifold. I've gained 1.4 MPG by doing this.
Did you MAINTAIN that 1.4mpg increase or was it only for the tank you ran the Seafoam in?
JKolbfleisch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite91 View Post
Just to add, you WILL blow out a crap ton of smoke, so dont do this in your garage. After your seafoam is empty, rev up to about 1500 for a lil bit to get the smoke to calm down. Then drive it around the block a few times(dont forget to plug your brake booster back in)
The can says after you get it all in, shut the vehicle off for 15 minutes to let it do its thing.

Also, when I did it, I revved the engine up to about 2,000 rpm and used a section of fuel line inside the brake booster hose to extend it out to where I could sit in the driver's seat, operate the throttle and hold the can of SeaFoam.
Unread 12-31-2012, 10:46 PM   #15
Chace365
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKolbfleisch View Post
Did you MAINTAIN that 1.4mpg increase or was it only for the tank you ran the Seafoam in?
As a matter of fact, I have retained an average of ~1.1 MPG (no less than 1) since I used the Seafoam. The ~.3 decrease has usually been from a dirty air filter, which I replace every time I do an oil change.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.