Modding the stock tire carrier for 33s(pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Modding the stock tire carrier for 33s(pics)

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 11-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Modding the stock tire carrier for 33s(pics)

So I did a 3" suspension lift and got some 33x10.50s to fit it and knew I'd have issues w/ the spare. I'm not ready just yet to buy a tire carrier/rear bumper, so decided to move my stock carrier up 1" for the tire to clear the bumper(I have no BL).

I used some square tubing(about 1" by 1"?) from Home Depot along w/ a bunch of hardware and some hockey pucks from the Sports Authority to space out the bump-stops.

I did have to cut away a bit of the sides of the rubber gasket on the back of the tailgate where it lets air pressure out of the cabin I guess? When the bracket comes off I'll just get a new one from the stealership.

Heres the notched 3rd brake light bracket so the rim doesn't hit it:

It would hit since it is spaced up about 1" from the tire carrier itself:

My hockey-puck bumpstop extension:

Good look at the brackets:

The bracket bolts to the Jeep w/ bolts going through all the of the square tubing. Then the tire carrier assembly bolts to the square tubing w/ a nut and washer on the inside of the tubing.

While I'm not sure it was necessary or not, I also took a small piece to connect it to the 5th hole where the carrier normally bolts to the tailgate(between the top 2). I figured more support the better.

Here is a video of me closing the tailgate, it's just about as solid as stock.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=000_2099.flv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

We did this to my brothers TJ too. It is a good temporary fix. The stock tailgate can hold the tire and rim for a while but adventually it will bend it. It took a couple of years for his and I am not sure if the tailgate is bent or the bushings are wore out. It is harder than heck to close.
Unread 01-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
gijoeyb
2010 JK Wrangler 

now that is a nice fix
gijoeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Still holding up great, no loose bolts, no sagging door, no funny noises, etc.

Will be getting one of BESRK's bumpers in the nearish future though once my slew of SYE/CV, rear upper CAs, and rear trackbar are taken care of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I did the same thing and ran fine with it like that for a few months. I wouldn't leave it on there as a permanent thing, just while you are saving for a tire carrier.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
vizro
1997 TJ Wrangler 

good idea may give this a shot
vizro is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.