Master clutch Cylinder Repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Master clutch Cylinder Repair

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Master clutch Cylinder Repair

A couple of months ago while I was driving my clutch froze up, I had to rip the stick out of gear before I slammed into the car in front of me. I was able to get off the road and investigated some more but couldn't figure out what keeping the clutch puddle from moving. It was as if someone stuck a peace of wood under the peddle.

Once I was finally able to get the jeep home I jumped on here and looked it up to see if other people had a similar problem and wouldn't you know it, it's a pretty common problem. Everyone on here said that the master clutch cylinder would need to be replaced because the spring inside broke.

Well, I tore the master cylinder apart and it was broke and I noticed the spring was very stiff and brittle.

This seemed like a very easy fix, so instead of buying a new master clutch cylinder for 80$ and have the same thing happen I went to napa and replaced the old spring with a similar spring for 1$. I made sure the spring was a little longer because it wasnt as stiff as the old one and this would make up for it.

I tested the spring by hand and the tension when compressed to the same length as the old spring was almost the same, but the new spring will not break again causing another dangerous situation.

Ive had the clutch cylinder set up with this spring for about two months now and is still doing great. It hasn't started to wear out and it feels no different then the original spring.

hope this helps someone else because it sure helped me.

ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.