macgyver fixes - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > macgyver fixes

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 06-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

My heater core started misting antifreeze in my vehicle which fogged up the windows real bad so I clamped off the hoses going to and from the core with a few of my sockets and some hose clamps. The downside was no heat. The upside I got a new socket set.

Cherokee95kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #17
wicked99wj
1999 WJ 

one time my buddys and i went wheeling in a ford bronco 2 (yeah not a jeep doh) well he busted his rear driveline and we didn't have the tools to pull it off (it broke on the transfer case side odd but it did) and he had a roll of duct tabe and some bungie cords so we bungie corded it to the side and duct taped the heck out of it to stop from coming loose on our 25 mile ride home on the front shaft. what fun.
wicked99wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #18
Bigbob

Back in he late 60's, early 70's there was a small group doing a trip down Baja when a K-5 Blazer threw a rod on it's 350 engine. The crank end of the rod was still intact with no crank damage so they cut the rod close to the crank with a hack saw. They removed all the old busted junk out of the oil pan. The rod busted a hole through the cylinder wall and to seal it they carved a plug out of wood and hammered it down the bore. They removed the 2 push rods for that cylinder and drove the sucker home 300-400 miles. No radiator cap so no pressure. Oil and water were mixing, but the engine was toast anyway. They were putting half and half oil and water in the cooling system every 20 miles or so to keep it topped off. It always amazed me they did this with simple hand tools, no new gaskets and no silicon.

V-7 LOL
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #19
resqmedic02
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Back in the late eighties friends and I were 4xing out in the great wild about 40 kms from home when the mechanical fuel pump broke. To get the carburated truck home I emptied my windshield washer tank, ran the line to my Carb and filled it with fuel. To get home I had to use the washer switch inside to keep fuel going to Carb. Had to stop and refuel it guite often but it got me home.
resqmedic02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #20
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

we did the ol string to the wipers in a vw bus. and then the fuel in a soda bottle to the carb when our mechanical fuel pump went out. jb weld on a block that cracked a water jacket. hold a spot light out the window when the headlights quit
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #21
chrism1367
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
back in he late 60's, early 70's there was a small group doing a trip down baja when a k-5 blazer threw a rod on it's 350 engine. The crank end of the rod was still intact with no crank damage so they cut the rod close to the crank with a hack saw. They removed all the old busted junk out of the oil pan. The rod busted a hole through the cylinder wall and to seal it they carved a plug out of wood and hammered it down the bore. They removed the 2 push rods for that cylinder and drove the sucker home 300-400 miles. No radiator cap so no pressure. Oil and water were mixing, but the engine was toast anyway. They were putting half and half oil and water in the cooling system every 20 miles or so to keep it topped off. It always amazed me they did this with simple hand tools, no new gaskets and no silicon.

V-7 lol
you win lol!!
chrism1367 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #22
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqmedic02 View Post
Back in the late eighties friends and I were 4xing out in the great wild about 40 kms from home when the mechanical fuel pump broke. To get the carburated truck home I emptied my windshield washer tank, ran the line to my Carb and filled it with fuel. To get home I had to use the washer switch inside to keep fuel going to Carb. Had to stop and refuel it guite often but it got me home.
Note to self---Self, remember this trick.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

My favorite.............

I was Still living in Pa..traveling across the turnpike coming off the mountain down into the Breezewood exit in my old 80 F150 Stepside...noticed the smell of antifreeze and looked at the temp gauge she was gettin HOT...pulled over..looked under the hood..top radiator hose had a split in it..
Cop pulled over and asked if ok..apparently he called one of the roadside tow trucks becaus he pulled in just a few minutes afterwards...

i aksed the tow truck guy how much to tow me into Breezewood..(and this was back in 1992)he said ..."we usualy charge 150.00 but since its not far i'll do it for 100.00"...

So...the gears in my mind got to workin....i cut a plastic pepsi bottle apart so it was the same size all the way through...cut the radiaitor hose at the split and cut the split out...slid the pepsi bottle over both ends..had some duct tape in the tool box and duct taped the heck out of it all...walked down over the hill to a lil creek with a Bolt Bag off my ironworker's tool belt,filled it with water and refilled the radiator......slammed the hood..drove off while the tow truck guy looked at me funny like"wth is he going?".....he followed me into town..geuss he was HOPING i'd pull over again needing the tow because when i pulled into a gas station there that had hoses he just looked at me and shook his head and left.........

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #24
jeepinsoldier10
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My dad and I were on our way back from shooting in a canyon by his house in our Suzuki samurai that we put A vw diesel engine in and coming up the steep grade the engine had heated up to the point
that it popped the plastic cap off of the radiator flushing tee we installed. So to remedythe situation we took one of those gloves that have the rubber grip on it and used zip ties to pies it against the hole left from the missing cap. Topped off the water and We were able to make the 15 minutes left of the drive with out a problem.

forumrunner_20120627_104529.jpg
jeepinsoldier10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #25
reaxion911

I was coming down the mountain (40 miles from home and out of cell service) in the last chevy ill ever spend another hard earned dollar on when as it has in the past shorted out the ecm and blew the fuse. Having to wiggle the wiring harness then try it used up all my spares any others i could rob out of the panel i used the tin foil from a cigarette pack in place and managed to get it to run and back home. The next day with the makeshift fuse i held it to the rug in an epic first gear burnout until it seized! Then off for scrap. Before anyone gets upset i paid $300 for it and did a ton of bashing in it but was sick of tinkering on unreliable junk and got my money back in scrap. Then i got my jeep!
reaxion911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #26
jeffasmi
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I went without heat for a while until I figured out that my heater core was clogged. I watched youtube videos to see how to unclog it, most used compressed air which I didn't have easy access to so I cut the end off of my bike pump hose, slid that sucker in coolant output side and pumped it hard a few time. Presto! Unclogged and I have heat.
jeffasmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #27
brokeagain007
1981 CJ8 

My dad once lost a U-joint on his rear drive shaft of his cj7 renegade. He got out looked at it, pulled his shoe strings out and tied the drive shaft to the frame, put it in 4HI and let it idol home. He made it.
brokeagain007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #28
Kenny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

once a few of us were camping and torn the spring hanger off of my friends atv trailer.... 3 pairs of sunglasses, 2 pair of gloves and 2 camper batteries and some wire we "borrowed" from a fence I welded it up and we got it home with all 5 atvs
Unread 09-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #29
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep gas gauges are notorious for not being accurate....well I ran out of gas 4 miles from my house. I made my wife get out and push, and although it took awhile to get home, it worked like a charm.

Hosejockey61 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2012, 04:28 AM   #30
rdsk8ter
1982 CJ7 

It wasn't me but I once watched a guy drive two blocks on a floor jack when his axle broke
rdsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.