macgyver fixes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > macgyver fixes

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 05-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

macgyver fixes

Well a week or 2 ago I went to Rausch creek with a few buddy's and one of the jeeps (a 94GC) tore a tranny cooler line. We were stuck untill I thought to put a socket in the line and with a few hose clamps spliced the line. Back together.

What kind of things have you rigged up that made it able to get you back home?

Ordinary cars lie to you. They tell you that everything is controlled, warm, safe, smooth ---- we know this is a general falsehood. There is extreme beauty in the world and the best way to find it is to be out in it --- all the way. In a Jeep. Cause you can't get there in a Camry.
attackcammel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #2
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

One more another trip to Rausch my fan clutch went so to keep the fan spinning I put a hose clamp and bailing wire from the shaft to the fins of the fan.

Ps sorry for the. Crappy typing my phone sucks to typ on
Ordinary cars lie to you. They tell you that everything is controlled, warm, safe, smooth ---- we know this is a general falsehood. There is extreme beauty in the world and the best way to find it is to be out in it --- all the way. In a Jeep. Cause you can't get there in a Camry.
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
mattyrayb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My radiator cracked when I got to work on a Friday. I ordered the new radiator online to install the next day and bought superglue, gum, and a gallon of water. I patched the crack after work and drove home with no problem.
Unread 05-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
mrcabinet
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Years ago, in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere, the distributor rotor in my old '69 Rover decided to disintegrate. I found a large paper clip in the jockey box, bent it and duct taped it on to the dist. shaft. Did it run well? No. Did it get me home? Yes!

Another time, the alternator froze up and shredded the belt on my LandCruiser while on the freeway. I used 1/4" nylon rope and one of those hollow tube splicer things to fashion a temporary belt. That kept it from overheating for the 25 miles home.
mrcabinet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackcammel
Well a week or 2 ago I went to Rausch creek with a few buddy's and one of the jeeps (a 94GC) tore a tranny cooler line. We were stuck untill I thought to put a socket in the line and with a few hose clamps spliced the line. Back together.

What kind of things have you rigged up that made it able to get you back home?
That is brilliant! Buddy of mine had his tj on top of a mountain when the line broke. They played "plinko" down the mountain with his jeep, smashed it into a couple trees as the got it back to camp. Will have to remember that one.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 04:48 AM   #6
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshw301

That is brilliant! Buddy of mine had his tj on top of a mountain when the line broke. They played "plinko" down the mountain with his jeep, smashed it into a couple trees as the got it back to camp. Will have to remember that one.
It took a little bit to think of we tryed a tube for a pen but it kept cracking when I tightened the hose clamp so when I was putting the tools back in my tool box cause my buddy went to pick up new smaller hose clamps I saw a 1/4" deep and figured I'd try that
Unread 05-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
94unlimited52zj
1994 ZJ 

Had a steel trans line split on me, cut the bad line out with a mini tubing cutter, and patched in a section of rubber hose and hose clamps to get home. Another time had the brakes lock up on the highway. It locked up only on the passenger side. Fixed it enough to get home with duct tape, a 2x4 and a close hanger. Found out someone put power steering fluid in the brake fluid.
94unlimited52zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 12:46 AM   #8
adhdlacrosse16
2014 JK Wrangler 

^^ po's suck
this thread is excellent. there is always the classic high lift tie rod.
Unread 05-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
justanotherjpr

Gatorade cap will fit over the output seal of a pre 97 NP231/242 to stop the trans fluid from leaking out when driving without a rear drive shaft.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Keep 'em coming!!

On vacation the ac compressor went out on our Isuzu trooper and the parts shop couldn't get a new one til Monday. So, I eliminated the compressor with a shorter serpentine belt to fit and drive it home from Florida.

Guys on this site know how to do this but it was before I owned a jeep so I was awful proud of myself. Lol
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
rdsk8ter
1982 CJ7 

love this idea we once taped a mountain dew bottle to the output of the transfer case of my buddy's dodge truck it got us off the trail and held fluid from spilling duck tape rocks
rdsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I was at the lake and the a/c quit (not a Jeep). I unplugged the pressure switch and stuck a fish hook in it to jump across it. Then used a small thermometer to watch the vent temp. When it got below 30 switch the comp. off, wait a minute and switch it back on. Prevented the evap from freezing up. Sounds like a lot just for a/c, but it was a three hour ride home with a very small child in 100+ weather.
jasonswelding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #13
justanotherjpr

Hi lift handle to bend a bent tie rod straight, then beat over it a sleeve to keep it from bending again.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #14
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
this thread is excellent. there is always the classic high lift tie rod.
got me off of trail 5 at RC and back to camp.

Unread 06-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #15
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Went to Rausch creek a while back and my friend kept blowing a fuse in his ZJ. we ended up replacing a fuse with a paperclip until we got it to the hotel to check it out. happened to be his O2 sensor shorting on his heat shield
In the process of putting in an 8.8, d30, 4.10's, SOA, and a homemade belly up skid
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sloooooow-blue-yj-build-1234350"]My YJ Build[/URL][/CENTER]
04WJny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.