Lubricate stubborn rear window zipper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Lubricate stubborn rear window zipper

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-24-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
emoney
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Lubricate stubborn rear window zipper

I just sprayed mine with Pam from my kitchen cabinet. Now I don't have to break my wrist trying to get the zipper around the curves.

emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
I just sprayed mine with Pam from my kitchen cabinet. Now I don't have to break my wrist trying to get the zipper around the curves.
A fairly long lasting fix is to use a wax candle (I had a wax votive candle in my TJ tool kit just for that purpose). Just rub the candle along the zipper teeth while the zipper is open and it will lubricate itself as you zip it closed.

Also - I used circular key rings in the zipper pulls; they were free, the decent ones don't rust, and it makes closing or opening the zipper a snap (so to speak ). Car dealers, insurance agencies, just about every sales venue hands out key rings with their logo attached. Ditch everything but the ring and attach it to the zipper pull. Won't get in the way of storing the top or windows.

(Thanks to Jerry Bransford on the wax candle idea - he gave me that tidbit three years ago and it worked out very well).

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels.” - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

'95 YJ, '00 XJ, '06 TJ, (Current:) '08 XK
FmrVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
kswyg001
2010 JK Wrangler 

im a tad late, ok- a lot late, but ive also read that taking cheap hotel bar soap and rubbing it in the zippers makes them zip better.
kswyg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswyg001 View Post
im a tad late, ok- a lot late, but ive also read that taking cheap hotel bar soap and rubbing it in the zippers makes them zip better.
You know we're talking about Jeep convertible tops, right?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yeah, soap can make a surprisingly effective zipper lubricant - and a good tip if you happen to run into an issue with the zipper and have limited tools . I don't know what's in the bar that does the job, but it's effective.

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels.” - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

'95 YJ, '00 XJ, '06 TJ, (Current:) '08 XK
FmrVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
prozzo842
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Surfboard wax works too
prozzo842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bee's wax works great too.
We use it when hanging iron and the steel is a tight fit,i always have a stick or 2 of it in my structural tool belt

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
Longoddr1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I use the drip bottle silicone lube for bicycle chains. It doesn't have any spray solvents to attack the material.
Longoddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
JWitt333
1999 TJ Wrangler 

you can also buy "zipper lube" at any boating supply store. rally cheap and lasts for a long time.

'99 Gunmetal TJ
Blue Jeep Club Member #256
4" RC X-Series, 1in BL
Rokmen Armor
KC Day Lighters, 33 BFG M/T
with more to come
OlllllllO
JWitt333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
baconbit
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Zipper lube

Armor all also works good if you spray it on the teeth before zipping it back up. That's what I use and the zipper moves easily.
baconbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
abock33
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I kept a tube of Chapstick in the center console for this. It also comes in handy when the wife would ask me for some like I carried it. I would always proceed to hand her the greasy one to be a jerk. (Just my sarcastic sense of humor).
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
SmileyT
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abock33
i kept a tube of chapstick in the center console for this. It also comes in handy when the wife would ask me for some like i carried it. I would always proceed to hand her the greasy one to be a jerk. (just my sarcastic sense of humor).
x2.
SmileyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
SmileyT
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Double post!
SmileyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
TexasJeep01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I always have a bottle of wd40 with me
TexasJeep01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.