Lock your Hi Lift for under a dollar! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Lock your Hi Lift for under a dollar!

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Lock your Hi Lift for under a dollar!

Alrighty so I've had this idea bouncing around in my head for a while and I didn't do much research to see if this was an actual product so please forgive me. I have been having problems lately with shady people equipped with sticky fingers lurking around my neighborhood. My proximity sensor is either too sensitive or wont go off even if I open the door. No middle ground. My Hi Lift is the only thing outside the vehicle that I am worried about growing legs so I put two and two together and came up with a solution. For starters, my jack is mounted on the roller fairlead in the holes provided for lights? maybe? I dont know. I stuck my jack there as it fit within the confines of the bumper and doesn't protrude or hurt anything.

The bolts go all the way through the fairlead and into the hi lift and were secured with wingnuts (image missing) and then tack welded to the fairlead so they could not spin.

I thought it would be awesome to lock one of these wingnuts so it couldn't spin and thus couldn't be removed. So my research began. I ran across something called an eye nut. It's like an eye bolt but with female threads.

also if youre looking for these in the 7/16" flavor, they're $10 at fastenall. Each. And special order so be prepared to wait a week.

I poked around my local hardware store and lo and behold I ran across these for 68 cents apiece.

They're 5/16" clevis swivel majigs and they were perfect for what I needed.

I then proceeded to hack it in twain thus releasing the bolt end and exposing the side with a hole in it.

Then out came the tap:

and then I test fitted it:

The only thing missing was a lock. Here in California, they hate guns with a passion but every police station I've had friends in has had a jar of cable slide locks for securing firearms free of charge. One of these mentioned cable locks goes through the jack and then through the eyenut thus locking the jack to the mount and ensuring your jack won't loosen up on its own.

This method could work in any configuration of mount as long as the bolt that holds the jack is immobile from the other side. Theoretically two bolts welded to a steel plate going through the jack could hold it. And with two nuts, you don't have to use the holes in the jack, they can be locked together with a standard or elongated padlock. I also thought about using this method for locking the tire to a tire carrier instead of having those stupid sockets that get lost.

Of course for a little more security, masterlock sells a cable lock and it's a pretty stout mother. It also costs more than free, unlike the other one. Also wrapping the cable around the jack instead of through the pin holes works just as well. I just opted going through the pin holes because the way my nut ended up.

Anyways, first write up. Might be stupid but I hope someone else finds some use out of it. If it's stupid and theres a major flaw that I haven't thought of, Please Please PM me! It's been a long day and even though I'm feeling confident about this little idea, I may have overlooked something.

Thanks for reading!

Unread 11-19-2011, 06:33 AM   #2
05JGC
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice write up and idea! As always, if someone wants it they'll find a way to take it but this will keep the simple minded folk from just walking away with it.
05JGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
jdougn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, good idea and nice writeup. I really like use of the cable lock. Thanks for posting.
dn
Unread 11-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Butterbuddha
Fix it till its Broke!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Nice work! Sure is giant looking though. Kudos on constructively hacking something in twain, normally thats reserved for the removal process
Unread 11-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

sweet great idea, cant you just weld a ring onto the top or bottom of the jack and lock it on that? that'd be even cheaper haha.

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanked View Post
sweet great idea, cant you just weld a ring onto the top or bottom of the jack and lock it on that? that'd be even cheaper haha.
I suppose you could do that but in my case I always wing it as I see it. I wanted something to work off of existing mounts that I had and I was kind of running out of ideas. If the ring can't turn, it can't come loose. I've been having some problems with things coming loose on bumpy trails and banging around. This idea kept it secure in every sense of the word. It also finds a use for all the gun locks I had sitting around.

I appreciate the input guys! Any suggestions or ideas to improve the simple idea would be awesome. Also, if anyone uses this in a vertical mount, I'd like to see pics!
Unread 11-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet! I'm gunna use this method on my rear swing bumper mounted hi-lift. That shorter trigger lock beats having a long bike cable lock wound all over the jack to take up the slack.

Unread 11-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Sweet! I'm gunna use this method on my rear swing bumper mounted hi-lift. That shorter trigger lock beats having a long bike cable lock wound all over the jack to take up the slack.

Post some pics when you do!
Unread 11-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Updated missing picture and realized that rubber coated locks don't bang around like their steel counterparts. This didn't turn out so bad
Unread 11-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Post some pics when you do!
OK, will do. This is the way I settled on mounting the Hi-Lift jack to my rear bumper/spare tire/jerry can system (made by JF member BESRK)--- three 1/2" bolts through the swing arm, double nutted to stay in place, and wing-nuts to secure the jack. I left the bike lock on for comparison. Notice how it winds around the jack... it's kind of a PITA to do with the tire in place. If I don't get it tight, it makes a lot of noise rattling around behind the jeep. Because of the springy nature of the bike lock, it usually takes *at least* a few tries of getting my hands in between the tire and the jack to get the ends of the lock lined up... and the lock actually locked. Swear words are still optional (but close to mandatory) by this point.

Now with the gun lock, I just feed it through the Jack and around one part of the swing arm. The natural bend of the lock's plastic sleeve makes this easy... just a cupla seconds and it's done. It even locks the wing nut in place so it can't be loosened (kind of like your eye nut). And no rattles!

Neat, eh?

Thanks for the tip.

Unread 11-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nice work! And I think Eddie does a great job with his bumpers. Seems like a super nice guy too!
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #12
dtn8tr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job Antican and Burlbook. I've been trying to figure out where I was going to mount mine when I pick it up...wasn't too keen on the hood mount idea.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks!
Unread 12-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Burlbook.
Was the jerry can mount done by BESRK? If so why didn't he just weld it on?
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 06:39 AM   #15
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyD View Post
Burlbook.
Was the jerry can mount done by BESRK? If so why didn't he just weld it on?
He provides jerry can holders and a similar hi-lift holder. They are options for his bumper, and both types are mounted with u-bolts to the bumper. I just used some bolts I had on hand and a piece of scrap metal.

Tags
hi-lift jack , hi-lift mount , lockable , modification

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.