A little snorkel thread -- - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > A little snorkel thread --

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A little snorkel thread --

I didnt know were else to post this ( I'm sure it will be moved if necessary )

While I was out and about the other day - at my not so local Pep Boys there was a green XJ just like the one I gave away last month

The kid installed his own snorkel set up -- PVC painted to match ( kinda ) electral conduit stand-offs for mounting ( good idea ) --- and at the top --- one of those fittings you see on a house where the power wires actually come to the house - instead of a 45 or 90 elbow -- kinda neet

( crap-berry pics )

I sugested to the kid ---- by having the scoop behind the pipe - its blocking the air flow - if not creating a partial vacuum at the intake ?

If he mounted a bolt and wingnut through the whole assembly -- he could mount it forward of the pipe for a little ram-air effect --- then spin it 180 for mud time

I'm gonna do the same mounting set-up on my YJ

Last edited by RICEKILA; 07-16-2013 at 07:43 PM..
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Part 2 ---

A little pre-snorkel / hood vents - build experiment

Underhood and air box temps --

Here is the "Acu-rite" thermometer thing-ie I use to monitor my attic temps - on the Jeep fender to show both the reciver and transmitor regester the same -

With the transmitor taped to a wire harness @ the firewall --

My average cooling system temp didn't go over 210 degs. --

Average stop and go under hood temp 101 degs. --

On the highway @ 55 MPH --

Not as hot under the hood as I thought it would be

Then I moved the transmiter into the air-box --

Theres no little tube in front of the air-box to the grill like on my Wifey's Grandokee

Sooooooo -- at 55 MPH --

Stop and go back to the barn

After I Snorkle it - I'll do this again

I would assume -- on the trail in 4 wheel low @ 5 grand doing a blistering 3 MPH - it would get a tad warm under the hood
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.