A little snorkel thread -- - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > A little snorkel thread --

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 07-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A little snorkel thread --

I didnt know were else to post this ( I'm sure it will be moved if necessary )

While I was out and about the other day - at my not so local Pep Boys there was a green XJ just like the one I gave away last month

The kid installed his own snorkel set up -- PVC painted to match ( kinda ) electral conduit stand-offs for mounting ( good idea ) --- and at the top --- one of those fittings you see on a house where the power wires actually come to the house - instead of a 45 or 90 elbow -- kinda neet

( crap-berry pics )

I sugested to the kid ---- by having the scoop behind the pipe - its blocking the air flow - if not creating a partial vacuum at the intake ?

If he mounted a bolt and wingnut through the whole assembly -- he could mount it forward of the pipe for a little ram-air effect --- then spin it 180 for mud time

I'm gonna do the same mounting set-up on my YJ

Last edited by RICEKILA; 07-16-2013 at 07:43 PM..
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Part 2 ---

A little pre-snorkel / hood vents - build experiment

Underhood and air box temps --

Here is the "Acu-rite" thermometer thing-ie I use to monitor my attic temps - on the Jeep fender to show both the reciver and transmitor regester the same -

With the transmitor taped to a wire harness @ the firewall --

My average cooling system temp didn't go over 210 degs. --

Average stop and go under hood temp 101 degs. --

On the highway @ 55 MPH --

Not as hot under the hood as I thought it would be

Then I moved the transmiter into the air-box --

Theres no little tube in front of the air-box to the grill like on my Wifey's Grandokee

Sooooooo -- at 55 MPH --

Stop and go back to the barn

After I Snorkle it - I'll do this again

I would assume -- on the trail in 4 wheel low @ 5 grand doing a blistering 3 MPH - it would get a tad warm under the hood
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.