Is Krylon Fusion Flat Black Closest Match for Flares? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Is Krylon Fusion Flat Black Closest Match for Flares?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 08-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Jeeper123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is Krylon Fusion Flat Black Closest Match for Flares?

My 2004 Jeep TJ fender flares are in okay shape; but, there are couple of scuffs I'd like to touch-up.

It's NOT bad enough to justify the time/effort to repaint the whole flare(s), yet. So, I'd just like to touch-up as good as possible....

Will Krylon Fusion Flat Black provide the best match to the original fender flares?

Or, is there something else, either color/brand/process, that would allow a good touch-up?

Any Experiences? Thanks Much....

Jeeper123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Use spray on bed liner. Gives it a little texture and looks awesome. Plus it's flexible so it wont chip off.
jeep95xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
cerebrus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper123 View Post
My 2004 Jeep TJ fender flares are in okay shape; but, there are couple of scuffs I'd like to touch-up.

It's NOT bad enough to justify the time/effort to repaint the whole flare(s), yet. So, I'd just like to touch-up as good as possible....

Will Krylon Fusion Flat Black provide the best match to the original fender flares?

Or, is there something else, either color/brand/process, that would allow a good touch-up?

If they are just bends where the plastic has turned kinda whiteish you can try using a heat gun to blend it out. Never done it myself but have seen some people have some luck with it. As far as just touching up a few spots, I don't think you will be able to match the fading with just about anything so you might as well paint the whole thing.
cerebrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Jeeper123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebrus View Post
If they are just bends where the plastic has turned kinda whiteish you can try using a heat gun to blend it out. Never done it myself but have seen some people have some luck with it. As far as just touching up a few spots, I don't think you will be able to match the fading with just about anything so you might as well paint the whole thing.
Yeap--I've got the whiteish spots. I've seen the heat gun suggestion by others. Not having used the heat gun approach, I'm a bit nervous and suspect it would be easy to screw-up.

How/Where can I find out more about how to do the heat gun approach?
Jeeper123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
cerebrus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

There are a few different youtube videos up with people doing it. They did a piece on this on Trucks on Spike as well. The trick seems to be to keep the gun moving, the goal is to heat up the plastic to the point where it is glossy but before it actually starts to melt. That is all that need be done. No rubbing or shaping. Some people on there were actually using torches but that seems to be trouble waiting to happen. You still might run into the same problem of the spots you work on looking different than the rest of the fender. Take your time and it shouldn't be too hard to work out.
cerebrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2009, 02:43 AM   #6
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

i used satin black. flat doesnt quite shine enough

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
donie
2014 KL Cherokee 

Not to hijack the thread, but is the fender flare color the same as the newer (07-09) hardtop color?
Thanks.
Unread 08-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
yankee07

my whole jeep is just about painted with krylon spray paint hahah...if you do a good job and then put a clear coat on top of it, it looks great

RE4.5" l 33x12.5x15 Geolanders MT plusl Cragar soft 8's
yankee07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2009, 05:17 AM   #9
younts22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I doubt it'll blend in with the rest of the flare. I'd take the time and paint the entire flare.
younts22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
jdgrip
2004 KJ Liberty 

They actually have a Krylon Fusion that is a "Textured" black paint, used on mine.
jdgrip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgrip View Post
They actually have a Krylon Fusion that is a "Textured" black paint, used on mine.
thats what i use for my tubes, fenders and sliders
0128111211.jpg  
Unread 03-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
BLK00TJ
Creepy Crawler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I tried using a heatgun on mine and they came out spotty probably due to the fact that I tried it while it was 12 degrees outside. On a warmer day I used Krylon Fusion satin black and they came out very nice. However, later I painted my bumpers (incuding rear milk jugs) and mirrors with Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner and it was really nice. This spring I'll be repainting my flares with the liner. The texture is perfect for flares.
BLK00TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
Steelman
IX-X-XIII-XIV-XL-XLIII

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper123 View Post

I don't think you're going to have any luck just doing touch ups. Every fender flare out there is a different color, based on age, exposure to the sun, etc.

Take the little bit of extra time to do the whole flare, it'll look much better!
my rig: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Are you bipolar, passive agressive, or just unable to recognize the dichotomy of your thought processes?
Steelman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
05WK98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Use krylon fusion satin with clearcoat, looks great and lasts forever
05WK98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #15
Carl135i
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Use SEM Trim Black. Part #39143 It looks better than the Krylon Fusion (I tried both) You can get it at most auto paint supply stores. The heat gun trick only lasts for a short time. I just refinished my flares and I am very happy with the results.
Carl135i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.