Key Mod - Pics Included - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Key Mod - Pics Included

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-13-2011, 03:49 AM   #1
jrb94zj
1994 ZJ 

Key Mod - Pics Included

I've wanted to do a write-up, but always forget to take pictures when I am working on the Jeep.* I was sitting at my desk bored tonight and decided it was time to do a completely worthless mod.* For this mod you will need a silver gel type pen, a black"Industrial Strength" Sharpie, and your Jeep key.

Unread 02-13-2011, 03:51 AM   #2
jrb94zj
1994 ZJ 

The first thing you'll want to do is clean your key.* I just took it to the men's room and washed it with some soap and water (sorry no pics of this step.)* Next You will want to make sure it is plenty dry.* Now take the key and the silver pen and start to fill in the word "Jeep".* I found it easiest to go back and forth several times and the ink starts to run out of the pen and fill the lettering in.* I used two coats to ensure even coverage.* Set aside for about 15 minutes so the ink will dry.

Unread 02-13-2011, 03:53 AM   #3
jrb94zj
1994 ZJ 

Now you will probably want to wear gloves for this next step as it can be a little on the messy side.* Get your Sharpie out and start coloring the entire key black, taking care not to get into the now silver Jeep lettering. When you have the entire key black, set it aside again and let dry for 15 minutes.

Unread 02-13-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
jrb94zj
1994 ZJ 

I hope this write-up gives everyone the confidence you needed to take on this task.* This entire mod including drying time should take about 33 minutes.* The time it will take to wear off will take about 15 minutes in your pocket, but it sure does look cool in the mean time!

**Note :* Remember to always use a Sharpie in a well ventilated area as to not inhale the nasty fumes.
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:32 AM   #5
Cherokeegrrl
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for this in-depth write up! I've always wanted to attempt this mod, but my key does not say "Jeep" on it. The dealership wanted $50 to do this for me! Now with your instructions, I can do it myself. You have saved me a lot of moolah. This will be my very first mod.
I have a few questions tho:
1) Can I use any color besides black/silver? My seat covers are fuschia & I want them to match.
2) Do I need to lift my Jeep? All my frends say if you want to do anything cool with your Jeep you have to lift it first. Is this true? I don't have a lot of moolah to spend.
3) I have been doing some reading on this forum & it seems that anything you do to your Jeep will cause death wobble. Will I get death wobble from this mod?
4) Now that I'll have a cool key, what are the biggest size tires I can run on my Jeep?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.
Cherokeegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:15 AM   #6
jrb94zj
1994 ZJ 

Cherpkeegrrl, I'm so glad this info could help you out and save you some moolah. Some responses to your questions.

1. In my experience black/silver is the combination that worked best for me. I really wanted black / gold to match my Limited colors but my workplace only provides silver I've been watching the marketplace and Craigslist for a quality used gold pen, but nobody seems to want to part with theirs. Fuschia if dome properly would likely work.

2. All of your friends are correct, you can't properly work in your jeep until you lift it. Before I even thought about this mod, I went to the garage, put the jack under the front end and lifted it. Remember to always use jack stands to prevent an accident. Asong as you have the equipment this lift shouldn't cost you any moolah.

3. While my Jeep did not getDW, your results may vary, especially if you go through with the fuschia. I did however notice a new clunking noise coming from the battery. I need to look into this soon.

4. I personally wouldn't go larger than 102". I saw a thread a while back about possibly installing a similar size, I'll see if I can dig it up

Happy modding
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
03WJDave
2003 WJ 

With this mod can I now run 42" tires on it or does the key need to be another color?

03WJDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
BuckeyeMac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Will this mod enhance my death wobble symptoms?

Pretty cool!
BuckeyeMac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
jrb94zj
1994 ZJ 

Thanks everyone for your positive feedback and questions! After running with this mod for 12 hours now I figured it was time for an update. I noticed the "industrial strength" Sharpie wasn't up to the harsh conditions I put the Jeep through. After unlocking my door, the bare metal was showing again, and I started to notice a Death Vibrate. I am concerned this may develop into DW as the rest I'd the marker wears off. Any ideas?
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
StupendousMan

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, glad you asked that question. I can see why your "sharpie" idea didn't work, you need to properly prep and paint the area. If it were me this is what I would do

Steps:

1. Wax and degrease the area well, one rag with the W & D on it, wipe it down then with a clean lint free rag wipe it off.
2. Scuff the area of the metal key with 120 grit paper.
3. Wax and Degrease (see step 1)
4. Spray a 2 Part epoxy primer to the bare metal. 2 coats
5. Sand area with 220 grit paper, remembering to try and keep the same ridges the key has
6. Wax and Degrease (see step 1)
7. Spray a 2 part primer, 2-3 coats
8. Sand area with 400 grit sandpaper, again you want to keep the ridges as close as you can
9. Wax and Degrease (see step 1)
10. Spray your sealer
11. VERY IMPORTANT - you must spray your base within 2 hours after you spray your sealer
12. Spray base coat 3 coats (this is where you get to pick your color!! According to most black works best but you can try other colors as some wanted)
13. Spray your 2 part clear over the base, 3-4 coats, allowing proper time to flash (dry time)
14. Take 2000 grit sandpaper and sand any imperfections you might have in the clear
15. Wax and Degrease (see step 1)
16. Apply a cutting compound to a wool/foam pad and polish your key.

If you did it right your key will look GREAT for years to come!

**WARNING** Some people have said that you MAY have a slight hard time getting the key into the lock, as the thickness as increased slightly. Still working on a mod for the locking mechanism to over come this.

Side note: Have not heard of any DW as of today, however I think it does increase the MPG so this mod may really pay off in the long run

Good luck
StupendousMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #11
SGTCornewell
2002 KJ Liberty 

i may have given up a few brain cells reading this.
SGTCornewell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupendousMan View Post
Well, glad you asked that question. I can see why your "sharpie" idea didn't work, you need to properly prep and paint the area. If it were me this is what I would do

Steps:

1. Wax and degrease the area well, one rag with the W & D on it, wipe it down then with a clean lint free rag wipe it off.
2. Scuff the area of the metal key with 120 grit paper.
3. Wax and Degrease (see step 1)
4. Spray a 2 Part epoxy primer to the bare metal. 2 coats
5. Sand area with 220 grit paper, remembering to try and keep the same ridges the key has
6. Wax and Degrease (see step 1)
7. Spray a 2 part primer, 2-3 coats
8. Sand area with 400 grit sandpaper, again you want to keep the ridges as close as you can
9. Wax and Degrease (see step 1)
10. Spray your sealer
11. VERY IMPORTANT - you must spray your base within 2 hours after you spray your sealer
12. Spray base coat 3 coats (this is where you get to pick your color!! According to most black works best but you can try other colors as some wanted)
13. Spray your 2 part clear over the base, 3-4 coats, allowing proper time to flash (dry time)
14. Take 2000 grit sandpaper and sand any imperfections you might have in the clear
15. Wax and Degrease (see step 1)
16. Apply a cutting compound to a wool/foam pad and polish you key.

If you did it right your key will look GREAT for years to come!

**WARNING** Some people have said that you MAY have a slight hard time getting the key into the lock, as the thickness as increased slightly. Still working on a mod for the locking mechanism to over come this.

Side note: Have not heard of any DW as of today, however I think it does increase the MPG so this mod may really pay off in the long run

Good luck
Yes......but do you think I could use Herculiner instead of paint?
also, how many Horsepower does this add....I'm trying to "beef up" my 2.5, I'd like to hit 65 on the freeways and this seems like a cheap way to get there.
Unread 02-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
YoCo-Offroad
2001 XJ Cherokee 

NICE!!! i like this mod spray paint or hurculiner would be even cooler
YoCo-Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
LJinDelaware
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You guys are crazy, everyone knows this mod is worthless w/o the TB spacer & an intake.
Unread 02-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #15
jeepin82
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What ever this key mod is just rediculous. you cant properly post this in a forum with out having the right Information.....you need to make sure that you completed an 8.8 swap first and your front and rear track bars have been removed before this mod will even be available to you, otherwise your just wasting your time.

Work smarter not harder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.