Jk spings on tj?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Jk spings on tj??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 10-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
mchambe77
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jk spings on tj??

I herd you can put the springs off the jk on the Tj and get some lift is this true and will the shocks off of one work too. Has anyone herd of this or done it??

mchambe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Griff1918
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, and there even a thread about it being done. You can use the shocks springs and get about 3" of lift.
Griff1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #3

Remember that when you change the height of the vehicle you raise the center of gravity which can effect the speed at which rollover occurs.
416469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've done it. In reality, you get about 2.5" out of the rears and almost nothing out of the front. To remedy this, I put a set of 2" spacers on top of the springs in the front. Even then, I still have a decent forward rake since I have no backseat and a winch on the front bumper. In order to get the rear springs to fit, you need to cut off about 1.5" from the bottom of the spring. It looks almost like the tail of a pig... Also, the shocks will work, but you might need a bar pin eliminator, or you can push the bushings out of your current shocks and into the JK ones. In short, if they're free, do it. If someone wants to sell them to you for anything over $100, it really isn't worth the trouble. I also had 150k miles on the factory shocks and springs and they needed to be replaced badly.
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doone
Remember that when you change the height of the vehicle you raise the center of gravity which can effect the speed at which rollover occurs.
Are you saying that one should never lift a vehicle?
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #6

No I am not, just cover all your bases. The devil is in the details.
416469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doone View Post
It's funny, when I installed the JK springs on my LJ, I got the same response. So I gained 2.5" on the back and someone said "Oh your CG is going to be off", Umm why not go tell that to the guys running a 6" lift kits? 2.5" is like raising a Jeep 2 thumb widths higher, in a Vehicle that already HAS a high center of gravity. Maybe some people drive their Jeeps like Ferrari's but I always KNEW that it will never handle like a sports car, what makes people think that since I lifted it I'm going to try and take corners FASTER? I just don't get why when anyone talks about putting JK springs and shocks on this CG convo comes up!

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KCCO!
Mboelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
mark9998
2010 JK Wrangler 

well thats good to know
mark9998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
OldBH
2001 TJ Wrangler 

No lift..no fun. Know lift..know fun.
OldBH is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.