JK - Hand Throttle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > JK - Hand Throttle

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCHASSIS SAVERô Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!JKS Flex Connect in Actions!

Unread 08-31-2015, 05:56 PM   #1
Off Pavement

2013 JK Wrangler 

JK - Hand Throttle

I installed a cable hand throttle on my '13 JK...

The parts required for this install are shown with the exception of 6 self tapping screws, and a small "L" bracket that the cable adjuster goes through. My initial design had me bending the can opener and using the small hole for the cable adjuster, but when I tried to bend it, it broke.

I started by installing the bicycle derailleur control on the shift arm at the most convenient and comfortable position. Most bike shift controls have a pin type tightener, but I removed it and replaced it with a screw knob for easy adjustment for the times I want to use the throttle to adjust engine RPM for winching...

Next I routed the cable housing through the center console and above the accelerator pedal.

I drilled a 1/4" hole in the accelerator arm for a 2 1/2" 1/4" bolt. I started with a fender washer, nylon washer, fender washer, then a nut. This created a non binding attachment for the cable to the pedal. Then another washer that goes against the brake pedal side of the accelerator arm, then a fender washer on the passenger side of the accelerator arm, a lock washer, and a nut to tighten the whole bolt assembly to the pedal.

Carefully determine the best location for the pulley and attach to the firewall using self tapping screws. I used part of the can opener as a shim behind the upper pulley support.

Place the Derailleur cable in the control and cable housing and start test fitting for the pulley. This is a PIA and took a lot of tries and fails to get the correct cable tension...

With the carpet installed...

While parked, the throttle is extremely touchy. Moving the lever very slowly gets nothing...nothing... then 2200RPM. A little playing with the lever and I can control RPM effectively from around 1200 RPM and above. Driving is a different story as the drive by wire accelerator works well with the hand throttle. It's easy to move along at extremely slow speeds using the HT with the ability to increase and decrease speed.

If you get the right stuff the first time, you can do this mod with all new parts for less than $40.

Do you need one of these? I'd guess no, but it's fun and your buddies don't have one yet.

Unread 08-31-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

The only thing i see that kinda looks like trouble is if the cable gets snagged when in foot mod. I would guess that the way with these fly buy wire would be to have it control the computer then you could get exact rpms but from the a thumb. i wonder what the computer would do if you had two signals lol i would bet we get limp mode. reading out of range bla bla.... make you miss the old jeeps at times. Love hate think these jks lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.