Jeep Cherokee Death Wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Jeep Cherokee Death Wobble

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
dsant5389
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep Cherokee Death Wobble

Hi guys, this is my first post here and the only reason I am making this thread is because it is kind of an emergency and I'm at wits end.

So, for a little background information: I bought my 1999 Jeep Cherokee 2 years ago in September for like $1k with only ~74k miles on it. It was a good deal at the time because I had just totaled my other car after falling asleep at the wheel and I needed something cheap and I needed it fast. My father's friend sold me the car who previously belonged to some old man who barely drove it anymore.

The first day I drive the car, I get on the high-way and get up to speed (around 55 mph) and all of a sudden the steering wheel and front end start shaking uncontrollably. I slow down (to about 40 mph) and the shaking goes away. My first experience with what I'm assuming is death wobble, correct?

Well, fast forward to today, two years later, and after a couple of brief periods being wobble free (I think the longest was like 4 months) after various fixes that I guess weren't REAL fixes, the problem obviously still persists. I have a friend who owns/runs a meineke and is a good guy who seems like he knows his stuff take a look at it multiple times. He doesn't have much experience with this problem thought, and he said he had another guy come in with the same problem and they never could get it fixed . At one point I went online and researched the problem myself and gave him a list of things to check like the "trac-bar", tie-rod, and I told him to make sure everything was "tight" in the front end. None of this fixed the problem.

As you can tell, I know next to nothing about automobiles, so I figured I'd join a forum and see what you guys think. To detail the problem again: The death-wobble occurs in 2 different scenarios. It either happens when I'm going over 50 mph and I hit a pot-hole or even just a slight bump in the road, or it will happen randomly once I get over the same speed without hitting a bump. The entire car feels like it's shaking (especially the steering wheel) and the only way to stop the shaking is to slow down to ~40 mph (super embarrassing when you were previously going 60 mph on a high-way lol).

The reason why this is an emergency is because I'm about to drive my Jeep across the country from NY to Cali (I'm moving there with my GF). Having to endure the death-wobble on such a long trip would be unbearable due to the fact that I'd rarely be able to go over 50 mph.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry if there is a sticky on this issue somewhere, I really just wanted to give y'all my version of the story. Thanks!

TL;DR version: Death wobble in a 1999 Jeep Cherokee. Not lifted or modified in any way. About 90k miles on the car. Wobble occurs when I reach speeds over 50 mph, either randomly or after hitting a slight or significant bump in the road.

dsant5389 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
cwadej
2000 TJ Wrangler 

try Cherokee tech forum for more knowledgable answers
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

You need to replace your track bar bushing and probably just go through and make sure all your front end bushings are intact and solid. Make sure you have proper caster (I think it's between 3 and 9 degrees) and that you have between 0"-1/16" toe in. While you're in there, replace your steering damper because it's shot at this point. Check for yourself to see the steering geometry. I don't trust the evaluations of big-box auto chains, because they usually don't know what they're doing and tell the rookie to follow the computer. If you take it to a shop, find a good dedicated 4x4 shop in your area, preferably locally owned. Chances are they'll have some old timey mechanic who knows what he's doing. Have him make sure everything's in check. If you go in and say "I need some help with my death wobble" and somebody laughs a bit and offers help, you're in the right place. If you have to explain the problem, walk out and find another shop.

My fellow Arlingtonian is probably right about finding in-depth answers about Cherokee-specific stuff, but since XJs, TJs, and ZJs all have basically the same front end, and it should be a cheap fix, you're in the right place in my opinion.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
McMahan

I had the same problem two years ago. 99 Wrangler. After3 mechanics and no luck, I found a guy who had heard of death wobbles. It can be any number of problems combining to create the issue but mine was the steering damper. It would wobble off and on until finally that's all it would do. Pretty easy fix. Good luck.
McMahan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Generally speaking, a steering damper is never a cause of wobble, just a way to hide wobble. If your front end is all squared away properly, you don't actually even need the damper. All it's supposed to do is reduce steering wheel kickback from sharp bumps in the road. (Or off)

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
mylyf

We had the same problem with my wife's 08 jk, and after five trips to the local dealer and about 400.00 later I replaced the ball joints myself..That fixes ours..The dealer said they were in specs and would not replace them..It has been my experience that if something on the frontend is loose replace it.
mylyf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
NissanGuy23
1996 ZJ 

All you need to do is replace the front track bar, buy a whole new bar they are around $60 and install it. 90% Chance of the problem being solved then. I also have a ZJ grand cherokee that had death wobble, and replacing the track bar completely fixed it.
NissanGuy23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
caiha

I see this all the time in the shop. Replace track bar and steering stabilizer. Let me know how it goes
caiha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
vizro
1997 TJ Wrangler 

my 93 wrangler had same kind of problems put a steering stabilizer on and it was gone made a huge diff. hope it helps and good luck on the trip
vizro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Anyone mention tire balance?

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $² = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
caiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpehar
Anyone mention tire balance?

Tire balance won't cause a death wobble unless the tire is separated. He's complaining of an uncontrollable shaking in the steering wheel and front end. Tire balance will not do that.
caiha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiha View Post

Tire balance won't cause a death wobble unless the tire is separated. He's complaining of an uncontrollable shaking in the steering wheel and front end. Tire balance will not do that.
It sure did on my old Ram

Had the dw at about 55, shaking violently and acting like it was about to leap off the road, had my wheels re-balanced, bam, no more dw

Tires were fine
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

maybe this will help

but seriously every experience ive had with the death wobble has either been the track bar or caster related
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #14
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

The last DW I had in an XJ was cause by 1 bad unit bearing, Both upper ball joints were bad, 1 bad tie rod end, and a wollered lower control arm bolt hole. Oh, and I had tires out of balance.

It all adds up. Some things won't show wear until you take it apart

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $² = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
01laredodirtyDW

I've replaced

All tire rod ends
New sleeve
New track bar
2 upper controll arm
2 lower controll arms
Wheel alignment
And the death wobble still occurs wtf am I suppose to do now
Help me now help me please
Thank you
01laredodirtyDW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.