J.B. Weld, Cold Weld, Epoxy... Show what you've done! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > J.B. Weld, Cold Weld, Epoxy... Show what you've done!

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
backyardjeeper
1993 ZJ 

J.B. Weld, Cold Weld, Epoxy... Show what you've done!

Let's see some pictures and stories of what you've done with J.B weld or anything like it (j.b. qwik, etc. any kind of cold-set epoxy).

I once used it to hold the steering wheel of a law mower onto the shaft when the splines were stripped.

I also used it on a 79 Honda cx500 to keep the intake manifold sealed when I snapped off a bolt.

image-514403981.jpg  
..().)..().)---).). 2-speed electric taurus fan. Neon injector upgrade.
backyardjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used JB Weld to seal an XJ sending unit that was leaking where the wires come out of it. Took the sending unit out,wire brushed the area, wiped off with Brake Kleen and sealed up both sides with a healthy dolup of 4 hour fast dry. This sending unit is submersed in gasoline when the tank is full. 2 years now and no leak at all.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #3

Plumbers Goop works too however you need 24hrs to dry. Also try the Oatley putty from home depot the kind you knead in your hand that only takes an hour to become hard as steel.
416469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
jeeper06

I used it to hold my skid plate up after to of my bolts were stripped held up for a week before I tapped the bolts

06 tj 4.56 dana 44s 2.5" inch lift on 35"
jeeper06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Not jeep related but my dad smashed the oil pan on our minivan during a camping trip and we used that quick steel stuff to plug the hole until we got home
dnuccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
backyardjeeper
1993 ZJ 

I used it to repair a Volvo windshield wiper after th shaft stripped out.
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Used it to repair a hole in an engine case on my atv.

Kawaski Lakota popped the chain and took out part of the casing where a bolt secured it.
Cleaned the hole well and used a piece of metal to cover the hole, the hole waS about 1/2'' by 1'' maybe. Used jb on the outside and inside to hold in place. has been working for 3 years now.

cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
mateas
2006 LJ Wrangler 

JB Weld will always be in the emergency kit. Used it to plug the radiator drain plug when I broke it off wheeling once, more recently used it to plug the holes in the body where the tailgate hinge bolts were, let it dry, sand flush, paint, and presto, incredibly cheap bodywork that nobody in the world can tell was ever done!
Unread 11-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You are all the kind of guys Id wheel with. Able to figure out how to get home without any whining.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
backyardjeeper
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateas
JB Weld will always be in the emergency kit. Used it to plug the radiator drain plug when I broke it off wheeling once, more recently used it to plug the holes in the body where the tailgate hinge bolts were, let it dry, sand flush, paint, and presto, incredibly cheap bodywork that nobody in the world can tell was ever done!
I like that idea. Wonder why we don't use cold weld instead of bondo.
Unread 11-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
CoastieShep
2001 WJ 

Years ago, a spark plug popped out on my 71 VW bug. Took some of the 2 part putty stuff, smeared it around the threads of the plug and shoved it back in. Waited around for a half hour and drove it 15 miles back when it popped out again just as I was parking. Probably would've lasted longer if I had been able to let it fully cure.
CoastieShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
Indy

No pictures but fixed the exhaust headers on my last boat. Previous owner didn't winterize and they froze and cracked. He brazed the cracks and painted, I didn't notice until I was on the lake a few times and found they were leaking. Ground out the braze, heated them up with a torch and filled. With heat, JB runs like water so it will fill the cracks/pinholes instead of just going on top. And it hardens like normal once it cools down. Painted and leak free afterwards. I've done the same with a radiator that took a rock hard enough to punch a hole in it.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
backyardjeeper
1993 ZJ 

Wow. Thanks, imma keep a blowtorch in the jeep now. along with my cold weld.
Unread 12-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #14
smokey1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
No pictures but fixed the exhaust headers on my last boat. Previous owner didn't winterize and they froze and cracked. He brazed the cracks and painted, I didn't notice until I was on the lake a few times and found they were leaking. Ground out the braze, heated them up with a torch and filled. With heat, JB runs like water so it will fill the cracks/pinholes instead of just going on top. And it hardens like normal once it cools down. Painted and leak free afterwards. I've done the same with a radiator that took a rock hard enough to punch a hole in it.
So you can put jb in a radiator and it will not stick to nothing but the leak then harden when it's cold and won't hurt nothing or what ? Thanks
smokey1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #15
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

fixed a hole in my aluminum radiator with it. and about a thousand other things lol
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.