i need help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > i need help!

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
mdmccullough
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i need help!

1998 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L (its my sons 17 yrs old, local driver)

Never a days trouble... Four days ago Started to idle and run rough. Then cut off in traffic and would not restart. Took me 15 minutes to get to him and it started but ran HORRIBLE! Drove home no power grey smoke and toped out at 20 mph.

1. Dropped tank and replace fuel regulator on top. Removed pump and filter to check for debris and empty contents. cleaned etc and replace. checked vaccum hoses and etc. ALSO used a bottle of LUCAS injector cleaner when we filled back up.

2. Took throtle body off and cleaned completely. removed IAC sensor cleaned and replaced (i cleaned both with Throtlebody cleaner not carb) and replaced all (i also put a new base gasket down for throtle body).

3. replaced spark plugs and cleaned inside of distributor cap, cleaned rotor as well.

4. Checked CCV valve on both ends and cleaned.

Problem is a little better but not enough to drive!!!!!

Starts better and idles a little better but when I go to accelerate NO POWER AT ALL AND SOUNDS LIKE A MISS!

HELP!

mdmccullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
paintballtruck
1979 J-Series Truck 

most auto parts stores will plug in and check the codes for you free of charge it sounds the same as when my oxygen sensor went out on my truck so might be that
paintballtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
redman87
1964 CJ5 

Where are you located?
redman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
mdmccullough
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mobile, AL

Update,

Since my original posting:

I took to local shop and had them pull the "codes" ...
1. Crankshaft position sensor error code
2. CamShaft Sensor / Distributor error.

I ordered the parts from Rock Auto: A new distributor and new crankshaft position sensor. I installed the new crankshaft position sensor (very simple). Instead of replacing the entire distributor, I replaced the camshaft sensor, the rotor and distributor cap (all from the new distributor I bought). It now starts and idles great, and runs under a load a little better ...BUT it still at random times kind of stalls when accelerating and doesnt run smooth at all. Immediately aftyr i started for the first time the check engine light went of (first time in years!) but when i ran it and turn off then started back up the light cam back on. I cannot figure this thing out!!!!! Please someine advice other than a BFH!
mdmccullough is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.