I did this ________ for $100 OR LESS! - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > I did this ________ for $100 OR LESS!

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #226
snowcrawlr619
1995 YJ Wrangler 

and he still didnt charge anything for them? idk much about the law or anything so im not sure if itd be illeagal but he coulda at least made a little coin off them. i mean hey its awsome for you but thats just weird. oh well congrats on the free stuff!

FERNDALE VOL. FIRE STATION 34
snowcrawlr619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #227
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Built the grille hoop and stinger for $40.00 in parts and wire. A friend had the welder and wanted the practice.

Tacking in place

And how it looks all mounted up with winch and lighting back in place.

Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #228
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Paul that is amazing, I've never seen such a clean and beautiful bumper like that for that price. NICE

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #229
canadianwinter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
Built the grille hoop and stinger for $40.00 in parts and wire. A friend had the welder and wanted the practice.

Tacking in place
very nice man i might steal your design to amke somthing similar on my yj, did you sell your welding mask to make this :P lol
canadianwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #230
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That isn't me. He was just taking at that point so just shut his eyes. The welds on those plates actually came out really nice.

One thing we had to do was with the grille hoop. With the winch plate stopping before the sway bar bushings, we had to extend that plate as much as possible while still making the sway bushings accessible. With that, the hoop was too far out, so we put a slight lean to it to put it closer to the hood/grille. PERFECT for getting hands in there to pop the hood.

The penetration on the welds was VERY good - it's going to take a SERIOUS hit to move that sucker now.

He's been doing a design on his TJ for a bit (besides doing a custom cage), and it's looking pretty good too. But he's also tackling herculiner, the cage, bumper upgrade, new seats, harnesses, axles, fenders.... it hasn't moved under it's own power since August. hehe
Green Jeep Member #155

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #231
canadianwinter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That isn't me. He was just taking at that point so just shut his eyes. The welds on those plates actually came out really nice.

One thing we had to do was with the grille hoop. With the winch plate stopping before the sway bar bushings, we had to extend that plate as much as possible while still making the sway bushings accessible. With that, the hoop was too far out, so we put a slight lean to it to put it closer to the hood/grille. PERFECT for getting hands in there to pop the hood.

The penetration on the welds was VERY good - it's going to take a SERIOUS hit to move that sucker now.
lol nice job mentioning that knowing me id weld my hood shut , im gonna go for soemthing similar but im going for sharpedges on my jeep, i might tryt o figure something out with box tubing.
Unread 01-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #232
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

He did use a mask for the weld lines, just not all the tacks.

From what I understand, box tubing isn't as strong as the circular DOM tubing. Basic geometry tells us that round has an overall stronger structure...

Or something like that.
Green Jeep Member #155

Unread 01-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #233
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well it makes sense to me, it seems like it would be easier to bend a piece of metal that already has a crease on it than one thats smooth and has equal strength all around

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #234
canadianwinter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
He did use a mask for the weld lines, just not all the tacks.

From what I understand, box tubing isn't as strong as the circular DOM tubing. Basic geometry tells us that round has an overall stronger structure...

Or something like that.
true that, i guess your right i was jus thinking square headlights square tubing LOL
Unread 01-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #235
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oh I hear ya on that. If you're wanting it for looks, I don't see a problem, but if you're wanting something that'll stand up, round DOM would be the way I'd go. Remember, your cage is round too!

I've seen YJ's with a similar setup, and it looks good. The square headlights let you have the support tube between the two be a little more level than I did mine - I wasn't willing to block my headlights with the tube since it is a daily driver for my son for now (until I get him a 1976 Chevy Monte Carlo ).
Green Jeep Member #155

Unread 01-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #236
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm the king of CHEAP

I did all the basics with the rattle can, headlight bezzels, door handles, diff covers......$6

Nite Shaded the signals and markers $12

Also got Wheels AND 33x12.5 Tires for $100

UNLIMITED sticker for $21

2" BB, traded for a CB that I got for FREE

Windows tinted for FREE (friend knows owner of local tint shop)

Talking with a local welding shop now, says he can do a rear bumper for less than $100
and some rock sliders for material cost if I help him.....See if I can make time

NCUNLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #237
Jebussaves0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCUNLIMITED View Post
I'm the king of CHEAP

I did all the basics with the rattle can, headlight bezzels, door handles, diff covers......$6

Nite Shaded the signals and markers $12

Also got Wheels AND 33x12.5 Tires for $100

UNLIMITED sticker for $21

2" BB, traded for a CB that I got for FREE

Windows tinted for FREE (friend knows owner of local tint shop)

Talking with a local welding shop now, says he can do a rear bumper for less than $100
and some rock sliders for material cost if I help him.....See if I can make time

Very nice Jeep! Those tires that you got on the cheap look like they are on their last leg
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara | 4.0L 5spd D44/D30 3.73s | Hurst Shifter | Hardwired Power Inverter | Hummer-Style CAI | 1" Rusty's BL/MML | AA TC Shifter Bracket | 2" BB | JKS Quicker Discos | 33x10.50R15 BFG KM2s | Alpine CDA-9886 HU | OTRATTW Switch Panel | G.P.F. Rear Bumper | Metalcloak Overline Fenders

M416 Trailer | In Progress
Jebussaves0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #238
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebussaves0 View Post
Very nice Jeep! Those tires that you got on the cheap look like they are on their last leg
They are actually not that bad. That is the worse one, the other three are better than that one. And thanks
Unread 02-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #239
jimmyjet
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How did you do yhe marker lights?? they look good I want to do that
Unread 02-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #240
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjet View Post
How did you do yhe marker lights?? they look good I want to do that
used VHT Nite-Shades (got it at advance auto for like $12), VERY easy to do just make sure you do it when it is warm out or it will look like crap, and use thin coats. Spray, let dry for an hour spray again, let dry..........I like the black out look.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.