I did this ________ for $100 OR LESS! - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > I did this ________ for $100 OR LESS!

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 09-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #151
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnduey View Post
Made a simple but solid/rugged mounting system for my LJ Hard Top.

I did this on my old 88 YJ and was really pleased with it. The idea behind this is to spread the load on the hardtop mounting surface so no single point of the fiberglass is asked to bear the entire load should any form of incidental contact happen off road or otherwise.

In short one of the more common things I saw with other Jeeps was the fiberglass around the bolts would crack or wear at a much higher rate due to the pressure put on the glass whether from overtightening, contact offroad (trees, etc..) or anything else really.

Anyhow, I'm rambling. On with the info...

Hardware:
1"x36"x1/8" Alluminum, holes made with 3/8" drill bit
Forget the length on the Eye Hook bolts, think it's 2.5" but I know diameter is 5/16"
I experiemented with both single/double nut at the top to square up the mounting surface. Single Bolt seems to be the best if you want to use a double washer system on the underside of the bolt.
Top and Bottom I used a regular washer as well as a rubber washer.
I also used a nylon threadded nut to secure the bolts, could just as easily use locktite if you want.

Total Hardware investment about $20

Pic:
I really like that idea,i will be putting my hardtop on before too long and think i'll steal that idea!

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #152
MrGhostWalker
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I picked up a center console at Walmart for about $20. It's for a van but it fits perfectly between the front seats of my YJ. It's fits nice and tight so I didn't even bother trying to bolt it down.-It's nice to have cup holders and a place to throw my junk.
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
MrGhostWalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #153
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGhostWalker View Post
I picked up a center console at Walmart for about $20.
Post a pic of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #154
DiabloYJ
2004 WJ 

20mm ammo can center console. Was actually really easy to make and worked perfectly. Just yesterday I installed a Tuffy console that I got for an insanely cheap price and I actually already miss the ammo can. Tons of storage space and a perfect arm rest.

40 bucks for everything including hardware, paint and a lock.

GD Thread HIJACKERS Member #1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

-Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Sport View Post
Sometimes I wish I had leaf springs.
DiabloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #155
13mx
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloYJ View Post

20mm ammo can center console. Was actually really easy to make and worked perfectly. Just yesterday I installed a Tuffy console that I got for an insanely cheap price and I actually already miss the ammo can. Tons of storage space and a perfect arm rest.

40 bucks for everything including hardware, paint and a lock.
I have been wanting to do this, I bought a center console from rugged ridge and that thing is way too tight, and can easily be broken into.

Have you thought about retro-fitting some cup holders to it, is there enough room to do so?

Maybe that will be my next project
13mx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #156
DiabloYJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13mx View Post
I have been wanting to do this, I bought a center console from rugged ridge and that thing is way too tight, and can easily be broken into.

Have you thought about retro-fitting some cup holders to it, is there enough room to do so?

Maybe that will be my next project
That was one of the biggest negatives about having it was that there were no cupholders. Tuffy sells cupholders separately that I could drill out some holes in the box and mount and that was the way that I was going to go about doing it. Unfortunately there isn't enough room in the front but I had planned to mount them in the back.

I'm going to give my Tuffy console a few weeks to see if it grows on me and if not the ammo can is going back in.

GD Thread HIJACKERS Member #1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

-Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Sport View Post
Sometimes I wish I had leaf springs.
DiabloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #157
theAuthority

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloYJ View Post
That was one of the biggest negatives about having it was that there were no cupholders. Tuffy sells cupholders separately that I could drill out some holes in the box and mount and that was the way that I was going to go about doing it. Unfortunately there isn't enough room in the front but I had planned to mount them in the back.

I'm going to give my Tuffy console a few weeks to see if it grows on me and if not the ammo can is going back in.
I love my tuffy, cup holders, cd player, padded arm rest, solid construction
theAuthority is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #158
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Every console ive had with cupholders ended in either me or the jeep wearing my coffee at about 10 after 6 in the morning... I do really like the idea of having the stereo in the console though.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #159
taythegibs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i painted my wheels black for about 30 bucks!

on the jeep

at the beginning of a trail
taythegibs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #160
taythegibs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

other things-

on my zj-
i got one of the big buckets that pool chemicals come in, washed it out, and use it to store fluids in. it is bungee corded in the back of my zj.- FREE
since i am alone most of the time and do carry a lot of stuff at times i took out the bottoms of the rear seats to increase storage. wj's can drill out the pin that holds it in and get one that will allow you to pull it out and put back in if that makes sense.

on my xj-
wally world fog lights under front bumper- $20-25
small round lights under the back bumper for use as backup lights- $15
pulled off the trim- FREE
i got the duplicolor bedliner and did the sides up to where the trim was + the fenders and rear bumper- about $60
home brew air intake with cone filter- $50
built a box to put a cheapo wallyworld speaker thing on so that the speakers wouldnt get punctured- about 10 for the box and 20 for the speaker thing

oh and always put in a fire extinguisher or two.
taythegibs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #161
Mtnduey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
I really like that idea,i will be putting my hardtop on before too long and think i'll steal that idea!
awesome I really like the ability to use bungee hooks to tie anything down in the back, etc...

The rubber washers help absorb any noise and vibration so I'm pretty happy with that. Just FYI the underside of the body mount area has very little room to work with so it took a while to find a washer that would fit on the bottom.

GL
Unread 09-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #162
VacaDuck
1989 YJ Wrangler 

New seats in my YJ for under $100

Just got done installing seats in my YJ.

Went down to the junkyard and picked out a pair from a 2002 Ford ZX2. They were not a direct bolt in. I had to fab up some supports for the Jeep risers using some 2" x 1/4" flat stock. They also sit a lot higher than the stock seats, enough so that, at 6'2", the top of my head is just about even the the roll bar. I have to have the steering wheel tilted all the way up for leg clearance. But the fab work was all bolt together, no welding required.

VacaDuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #163
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Where's all the cheap XJ mods!?

"Approximately 80 percent of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and enforcing tough emission standards from man-made sources."
Ronald Reagan

My goal is to have 20 lights around my XJ.

Currently: 10
XJMuscle98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #164
MrGhostWalker
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taythegibs View Post
other things-

on my zj-
i got one of the big buckets that pool chemicals come in, washed it out, and use it to store fluids in. it is bungee corded in the back of my zj.- FREE
since i am alone most of the time and do carry a lot of stuff at times i took out the bottoms of the rear seats to increase storage. wj's can drill out the pin that holds it in and get one that will allow you to pull it out and put back in if that makes sense.

on my xj-
wally world fog lights under front bumper- $20-25
small round lights under the back bumper for use as backup lights- $15
pulled off the trim- FREE
i got the duplicolor bedliner and did the sides up to where the trim was + the fenders and rear bumper- about $60
home brew air intake with cone filter- $50
built a box to put a cheapo wallyworld speaker thing on so that the speakers wouldnt get punctured- about 10 for the box and 20 for the speaker thing

oh and always put in a fire extinguisher or two.

-I bought the same speakers for my YJ. It sits in the back and when I need to- I can just un-clip the wires and lock it up!
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #165
MrGhostWalker
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
Post a pic of it
Well ok...but you're forcing me to clean out my Jeep!

Tags
cheap , cj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.